Shirtless

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2006, 08:07 AM
mrobinson
Ok.. So here in Canada for women, the Supreme court overturned the ruling for an incident in Ontario for females to be able to be shirtless. The arguement against it was it was so distracting that it could cause accidents... Anyway the courts ruled (this was back in like 1994-ish) that it was ok for the girls, who happened to be strippers, to sunbathe without a shirt. Anyway, in Canada that almost like making it legal. So for about a year a few of the provinces had similar incidents happen and the overall law is women could go shirtless if they choose. (There are a few provinces left that still have to go through the legel loophole, if necessary.)

So.. Where I live there is a party for 10 days called the Calgary Stampede. We all wear cowboy hats and dress up in cowboy/cowgirl outfits, (looking like idiots) eat pancake breakfasts, and party. So I'm walking downtown and see a man. (So what, eh?) Well, he's shirtless, hairless, muscled, tanned and wearing a black cowboy hat and chaps. (I think he was wearing jeans too but I was more concentrating on his peirced nipples. I was so in shock and disbelief. I started looking around me wondering where the camera was or if anyone else was seeing this. No one was batting an eye except me. I swear there must have been a camera somewhere and you all are going to see this on the Comedy channel.

My arguement about people are still so shocked and need more exposure to naked-ness that's not sexual was proved to me there. (Well that and Calgarians never look at each other!) So my whole reason for posting this is to ask you if girls can't go shirtless in the US yet guys can, isn't that a double standard?

I guess I'm posting this in HOT topics for a reason. (I'm a dork!)
July 14th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it is a double standard for men to be able to go shirtless, but not women. However, it's actually one I'm okay with. I have no desire to walk around with no top, but if some other woman wanted to, I guess I'd be okay with it. No one says I'd have to look.

But I am gonna say that there are some people (both women and men) that should NEVER walk around with no shirt!!!

July 14th, 2006, 08:42 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't consider it a double standard because I don't consider a man's pecks to be "sexual objects" but I do consider women's breasts to be sexual (except when bfing of course, lol). I have to say that I get more offended seeing someone's jelly roll hanging out that I do seeing a man's toned bare chest.

July 14th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Nevermind, read the OP wrong
July 14th, 2006, 09:08 AM
mrobinson
Sun bathing.. they were just sun bathing.
July 14th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Based on another argument, I thought breasts were functional not sexual.
Anyway, I might sunbathe topless...if I was laying belly down! I really see no problem with it. I think here in the US people are so uptight about nudity. It's really pretty silly. And WE'RE the ones that turn nudity into something sexual when it may not be intended that way. As in this case.

July 14th, 2006, 09:28 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
Based on another argument, I thought breasts were functional not sexual. [/b]
I'm glad someone else sees this too!
July 14th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Sun bathing.. they were just sun bathing.[/b]

Oops, sorry, didn't see that part...sunbathing topless is fine IMO, although I would only do it on a nude or secluded beach personally. I thought you meant they were just walking around town with their boobs out
And I think breasts can be both functional AND sexual.
July 14th, 2006, 09:57 AM
chlodoll
I think its a double standard. I really just think their boobs. Big bags of fat that hang from your chest! Women are turned on by muscular men with muscular pecs and thats sexual. If a man is to good looking should we make him put a shirt on? lol I do think anywhere other then the beach or the pool it could be distracting. Like that episode of Seinfeld when Elaine gave her braless friend a bra and she tought it was a shirt!
July 14th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I stare at topless men, I stare at women in skimpy outfits. And I would stare at a topless woman. All of it makes me a bit uncomfortable when I'm here (in Canada). But when I was in Cuba I stayed at a resort with 90% Europeans and EVERYONE was topless and wearing tiny bottoms (things on men and women). And after my first day of WOW LOOK AT THAT I didn't even notice. I think we're pretty prudish in general.

So I agree with you, people need to have more exposure OR men need to keep their shirts on.
July 14th, 2006, 10:02 AM
chlodoll
Quote:
But when I was in Cuba I stayed at a resort with 90% Europeans and EVERYONE was topless and wearing tiny bottoms (things on men and women).[/b]
And they arent all size 2's!! When I was in the dominican all the eurpeans women were topless and most of them were big ladies! I liked that they didnt care! If they wanted a tan they were getting lol
July 14th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Its just bodies people! I get that bodies can be sexual, but that does not mean they have to be all the time. This society is to sex obsessed. I think its a huge double standard, if they girls have to wear shirts, than so do the guys. And a man can sexualize a fully clothed woman, just so you know

July 14th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Based on another argument, I thought breasts were functional not sexual.
Anyway, I might sunbathe topless...if I was laying belly down! I really see no problem with it. I think here in the US people are so uptight about nudity. It's really pretty silly. And WE'RE the ones that turn nudity into something sexual when it may not be intended that way. As in this case.[/b]
Boobs are both (but not for all people; believe it or not there are those who are not sexual aroused by stimulation of their breasts). Breasts are functional first, as per our classifcation as mammalia. But, for humans, they can have an added benefit!

And I agree on US uptightness. I saw a lot of bareness growing up and it didn't phase me or pervert me or whatever is the fear. Plus, it makes NIP a hell of a lot easier and more accepted!
July 14th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
But when I was in Cuba I stayed at a resort with 90% Europeans and EVERYONE was topless and wearing tiny bottoms (things on men and women).[/b]
And they arent all size 2's!! When I was in the dominican all the eurpeans women were topless and most of them were big ladies! I liked that they didnt care! If they wanted a tan they were getting lol
[/b]

For sure. Old, young, fat, skinny, hairy, smooth, pale, dark. Men and Women.

And I would rather see some woman's boobs than a man's hairy butt (thongs)
July 14th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just don't think it will ever happen in America, BECAUSE our society is so sex-obsessed. Not without many, many, MANY unwanted sexual-advances and behavior of that nature. That's just reality.

Is it a double standard - absolutely. But until women aren't objectified in every TV show, magazine, and movie, then I just don't see it as becoming the norm here.

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
July 14th, 2006, 06:58 PM
kadydid
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
That sounds so refreshing! I am a small person (size 2 in fact) but sometimes I feel tremendous amount of guilt from eating an extra cookie. 1 cookie should not make someone feel guilty.
July 14th, 2006, 08:22 PM
LouLouMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I just don't think it will ever happen in America, BECAUSE our society is so sex-obsessed. Not without many, many, MANY unwanted sexual-advances and behavior of that nature. That's just reality.

Is it a double standard - absolutely. But until women aren't objectified in every TV show, magazine, and movie, then I just don't see it as becoming the norm here.[/b]
I agree. I kind of get the feeling that some of us who don't want to see boobs hanging out are being called prude

Quote:
I think here in the US people are so uptight about nudity. It's really pretty silly.[/b]
Quote:
Its just bodies people![/b]
What's the problem with me not wanting to see your naked boobs? Is it okay for my almost 9 year old son to see them? If breasts aren't sexual then everyone who thinks that had better tell their s/o's never to look at them or touch them I can't imagine why every heterosexual man on the planet wouldn't be starting at naked jumblies It would just lead to much more sexual harassment. Plus I think it's gross. I don't have any desire to see someone else's boobs and If I saw a woman walking around like that, honestly, I would think that she needs a LOT of attention and she should get a life.

Angel~9/12/05~with us for 5 weeks</span></span></span>
July 15th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
If breasts aren't sexual then everyone who thinks that had better tell their s/o's never to look at them or touch them [/b]
My SO also looks at and touches my legs, my arms, my neck, etc so does that mean they are also sexual objects that should be covered up? Personally, I think the whole human body can be sexual when it needs to be and functional outside of the bedroom. As soon as I leave my bedroom, I don't see any part of my body as sexual because that's not its sole purpose. People also kiss their SO's nipples, so does that mean he isn't allowed to go shirtless because technically, his breasts are now considered sexual?

I really don't think anyone needs to go shirtless at any time in public, other than at the beach. I don't even like seeing men wear the wife beater tank tops, I think they are tacky. But that's just my opinion and I don't have to look. I think if men are allowed to be shirtless then women should be too. The nudity laws should be covered genitals and the tatas and tushies are not genitals.
[/b]
to all of that!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search