Accountable to WHO?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Deena's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just have a question for all of you..

When you are involved in a religion, and they have certain common beliefs/rules/standards, who is it that you go to when you 'slip-up', or do something that is 'wrong'??

When I was in the religion that I grew up with from the age of 9.. every time I'd do something wrong, I had to go sit in a little room with usually 3 old(er) men, and confess my sins to them. They would ask pretty revealing questions, and want alot of detail.. (One of them asked me ... "Are you a nymph?".. )
Then you leave the room, and they sit and discuss what the judgement should be, should you be marked to everyone in the congregation, or will they just give you a warning. It depended on who knew about your 'sin'.. and who didn't.. it also depends on how repentant they "think" you are..

I believe that when we sin, it's only God that we need to own up to. He knows our heart of hearts, and whether or not we are repentant. I don't think we should face the humiliation of confessing to men, who, for all we know, are getting off on the information you provide! If you fail to give them the information they ask for, they'll think you're holding back, and mark you for it!

I was just wondering about everyones thoughts on this..

Our boy, James!! Born February 18, 2006!! xoxoxoxox
July 14th, 2006, 12:04 PM
kadydid
Quote:

When you are involved in a religion, and they have certain common beliefs/rules/standards, who is it that you go to when you 'slip-up', or do something that is 'wrong'??

When I was in the religion that I grew up with from the age of 9.. every time I'd do something wrong, I had to go sit in a little room with usually 3 old(er) men, and confess my sins to them. They would ask pretty revealing questions, and want alot of detail.. (One of them asked me ... "Are you a nymph?".. )
Then you leave the room, and they sit and discuss what the judgement should be, should you be marked to everyone in the congregation, or will they just give you a warning. It depended on who knew about your 'sin'.. and who didn't.. it also depends on how repentant they "think" you are..

I believe that when we sin, it's only God that we need to own up to. He knows our heart of hearts, and whether or not we are repentant. I don't think we should face the humiliation of confessing to men, who, for all we know, are getting off on the information you provide! If you fail to give them the information they ask for, they'll think you're holding back, and mark you for it!

I was just wondering about everyones thoughts on this.. [/b]
That sounds awful! I am sorry you had to go through that.
July 14th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

May I ask what church you were a member of?

My church teaches that forgiveness can only be given by God so he's the only one you need to tell!
July 14th, 2006, 01:07 PM
DahliaMarie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

That sounds horrifying to me! I can't imagine being made to do that. I am also curious as to what religion (I assume its a religion) you belong/ed.

As far as the question, I don't know if I have much to contribute as I answer to myself, and my own conscience. Works for me. But then there are many things others may consider a "sin" that, to me, are not. Not sure if that's what you were looking for.

<div align="center"></div>
July 14th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When I feel that I have sinned I pray directly to God himself and ask for forgiveness. I don't feel like there is anyone else I need to talk to but "the man" himself. I know in some religions it's normal to confess through a priest or preacher and that (since they speak the word of God) they will talk to God for you.
Amanda
July 14th, 2006, 01:32 PM
I was a one of Jehovah's Witnesses.. They believe that everything should pretty much go through these little old men, even if there's a sexual abuse case going on. If there are no 'witnesses', they'd rather deal with it themselves, than take it to the authorities. They believe I guess that they are all anyone needs to confess sins to.

It's a pretty scary humiliating thing for someone to go through. If they find that you aren't repentant enough, or that you'll do it again, they make an announcement at the podium that you basically screwed up, and that everyone needs to keep an eye on you.. you get marked. It's either that, or they disfellowship you (ex-communicate) and you get completely shunned. Even by your family, unless you have "family business" to deal with, such as a death or something important like that.
Personally, I'm disfellowshipped, but I pretty much told them to do that, because I didn't want to be any part of it anymore.

It's a hard thing for a teen-ager, let alone ANYONE to go through.

July 14th, 2006, 01:34 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
When you are involved in a religion, and they have certain common beliefs/rules/standards, who is it that you go to when you 'slip-up', or do something that is 'wrong'??[/b]
I don't go anywhere.. I think when a person feels bad, that God knows you're sorry in your soul. I think we need to listen to our hearts more. Many people who are "religious" often are apologizing to the wrong person. Part of the guilt we feel is from not making it right with the other party and ourselves.
July 14th, 2006, 01:45 PM
I totally agree Michelle.. Deal with it with the people involved, and most importantly within yourself, and with God.. Not with 3rd parties, that really shouldn't be privy to that kind of information..

July 15th, 2006, 09:20 PM
bright future's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

I know sort of what you went through via my SIL... she and my brother are now married and are both JW. However, my brother converted recently before they were married in 2004... but they were married with a 5 yo daughter... when SIL got pregnant before they were married (and with a man who was not JW - even worse!) she had to go through something similar. In fact, my brother not only had to become a JW, but he had to be baptized for them to recognize her marriage to him and allow it in their Kingdom Hall.

I really think that is unfair. I am not totally familiar with all JW teachings, but I really think they've misrepresneted the bible through the watchtower society. If they were to use only the bible as written in the KJV as they claim to, they would see that scriptures say we are accountable to God only.

I confess my sins all day, every day, and whenever else I need to in personal prayer to God. I ask his forgiveness and know that, through the blood of Jesus Christ, my sins are forgiven.
July 15th, 2006, 10:16 PM
irishxrose
I don't really view something I've done wrong as "sins" but I am also not Christian. I pray to the Goddess and God, and apologize for what I've done, but I also know that Karma will come back threefold to me for what I've done, whether it be good or bad.
July 16th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Quote:
I really think that is unfair. I am not totally familiar with all JW teachings, but I really think they've misrepresneted the bible through the watchtower society. If they were to use only the bible as written in the KJV as they claim to, they would see that scriptures say we are accountable to God only.[/b]
Well, that's the thing.. is that they've interpreted the bible 'their' way. And they use their study guides to "tell" people what each scripture means. I just question so much of what they teach, I'm reallly glad I looked elsewhere, and kept an open mind as to where they might be off..

It wasn't worth it to me to live such a restrictive life-style with as many questions as I had.. Didn't want to answer to them anymore either.. I'm muuuuch happier this way, I don't live with the fear of being ostrasized for doing something HUMAN...

July 28th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

I was just wondering about everyones thoughts on this.. You are supposed to go to the Lord about your sins and ask him for forgiveness.Man cannot forgive you or say what things you can or cannot be forgiven for because Jesus died for ALL of our sins .[/b]
August 1st, 2006, 08:08 AM
Bekah's Avatar happy 2 be a girl mommy!
I only take it to God, he is the only one I should have to be accountable to. He made me ,only he knows my soul and utmost being. And he is just and forgiving, I don't think it's really anyone elses business to "forgive" me or give me punishments.

August 2nd, 2006, 07:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I go to God and work it out that way. I've never gone to a church elder or Pastor for something like that. With that being said...if I have an issue with another person I go to them with it. I believe in honesty and confronting things.

I have gone to our Pastor as a sounding board though. To get another view or opinion on something but never to "confess" or seek forgiveness. I believe that I am totally accountable for my actions, but do need to ask for forgiveness if I wrong somebody.
August 3rd, 2006, 10:02 PM
mkgirl4u's Avatar Super Mommy
I go to God, my Lord and Savior, my Creator. Only He is able to forgive me of my sins.

<div align="center"></div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search