Mandatory Recycling

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
In the province I used to live in (NS) there is a mandatory recycling program in most communities. ALL recyclables are picked up curbside (including compost).. The kicker is you are limited to the amount of garbage you can put out and they do random check (i.e, they open you're garbage). If you have extra bags, or if they do a check and your bag contains recyclables they won't take your garbage.

The province I live in now (AB) has no curbside pickup in most communities (I think Edmonton does). Most people return their bottles/cans for the deposit but I don't think they recycle too much else, and there is no where to compost (unless you have a backyard composter)

So my question is:

Do you think recycling should be mandatory? If yes, who should fund it: City/Municipal, Provincial/State, or Federal?
July 14th, 2006, 02:17 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do think that recycling should be mandatory and funded by property tax revenues. We voluntarily pay extra on our property taxes so that we can have curbside recyling. But altho the service is available to anyone, only a few people in our entire neighborhood do it. It only costs $60/year, so it really isn't unreasonable especially since they do all the sorting. All we have to do is throw all our recyclibles (sp?) into the bin.

July 14th, 2006, 02:30 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Do you think recycling should be mandatory? If yes, who should fund it: City/Municipal, Provincial/State, or Federal?[/b]
Yes, and all three through taxes received. It's embarrassing to be from a province that doesn't do it...
July 14th, 2006, 02:57 PM
friskycat01's Avatar Super Mommy
I think every city should offer the program and most would take advantage of it. But if they are going to open your garbage and not take it because it contains recyclables, then it shouldn't be manditory. What if your child accidently throws cans away because they are trying to be helpful and help mommy clean. Children shouldn't be responsible for knowing stuff like that and adults don't always remember either.
July 14th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was thinking about this question and I agree that ideally it would be a good idea. However, not everyone lives in a home, so what would the people who live in apartment complexes do that share a dumpster with 50 or more apartments? Just curious.
Amanda
July 14th, 2006, 03:24 PM
friskycat01's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
I was thinking about this question and I agree that ideally it would be a good idea. However, not everyone lives in a home, so what would the people who live in apartment complexes do that share a dumpster with 50 or more apartments? Just curious.
Amanda[/b]

We have a smaller dumpster for recyclibles right next to our large trash dumpster in our apartment complex. It is reall nice to have but i know it is not the norm.
July 14th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh okay. That's pretty much what I was thinking they would do. Like have the regular dumpster for non-recyclable things then have another one next to it.
Amanda
July 14th, 2006, 04:52 PM
chlodoll
I live ina apartment builiding. Yo uput your regular garbage down the shoot and take your recycling to the basement. The only thing you cant do is compost unfortunatly
July 14th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Deena's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I believe they do it in some parts of the small town I live in.. for free too. But we live in the country, where there is no recycling pick up at all. The town used to have a recycling depot, where I brought EVERYTHING.. but now there's nothing!! It's very frustrating.. So now, if we have stuff that's safe to burn, we do that, and the rest of it piles WAY up till we have the time to truck it to the one in the next town...

Our boy, James!! Born February 18, 2006!! xoxoxoxox
July 14th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In the state of New Jersey it is mandatory. Punishable by fines and such for violations.

If I were provided with receptacles I would be happy to.

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
July 17th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
If I were provided with receptacles I would be happy to.[/b]
Same here.

July 17th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Mmmmm this isn't much of a debate. Must be all green ladies on JM!

Usually when a town/city introduces a mandatory recycling program, especially one that includes composting, people FREAK OUT. I actually read a letter to the editor in the paper here (when they were talking about starting curbside pick-up for paper/bottles, not mandatory) where the person said if you want to recycle you should drive to the depo. Their tax money shouldn't go towards it.
July 18th, 2006, 08:31 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My sister's town does this & the recycling program pays for itself for the most part. They pick up branches, etc after a storm & you can bring them yourself any other time & they make mulch from it & fertilizer from the compost..and they sell it back to hte community.

My mom has recycled all my life. I always thought it was soooo confusing growing up to have 4 garbage cans...but now I know she was right. We were hte only house i knew that did & she had to drive over an hour to take it in....and had 5 kids & most of hte time 1 car that my dad took to work. At least she taught me it was important enough to go to the effort. I wish my town had recycling. All they take is newspaper & clear glass. (and we have bottel return here...so not much clear glass lying around).

I have to drive 30 min to take plastics & metal. It's a pain in the arse!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

July 21st, 2006, 10:57 AM
** Mandy **
I strongly believe in recycling and wish everyone would do it. It would be nice if my area would make some strides to make it easier for people (right now we have to pay out of pocket to have curb pickup of recycling). I don't know about making it manditory though. I wouldn't want someone ripping through my trash checking up on me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search