Elective C-Sections

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well the other night I was reading one of my pregnancy magazines and noticed an article about more and more women opting for elective c-sections. So I was just wondering what everyone's feelings and opinions are about this. Do you think it's selfish in any way? Do you disagree or agree with it? Here's a link to a CBS report on the topic.

CBS

Amanda
July 15th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Medical reasons and such are ok by me, but I feel that every woman needs to be educated about doctor caused prematureness and the risks of being born before the 37th week. They need to know that due dates can be off by two weeks. When our neighbors were told they could have an elective, they received none of this information (which I just found out in a convo with them last night....it's sad and a horrible reflection on some of our OBs).

Patients cannot perform a good risk benefit analysis without all the information. And when it involves NICU care, possible respitory problems, inference with BFing among other risks, the information has to be given and discussed. Of course, risks for the mother must also be discussed, but it seems those are always given (although some women do not come away knowing that the number of children they safely have via csection is limited).
July 15th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Sunflower_Mommy2003's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Well the other night I was reading one of my pregnancy magazines and noticed an article about more and more women opting for elective c-sections. So I was just wondering what everyone's feelings and opinions are about this. Do you think it's selfish in any way? Do you disagree or agree with it? Here's a link to a CBS report on the topic.

CBS

Amanda[/b]
The caused increased risks to both mother and child, and I think women persuing elective cesareans should be fully informed of this. If they still desire it, ultimately it's "her body, her choice"...however, since they should pay the difference (between cesarean/vaginal delivery) out of their own pocket.

The absolute best online resource I've seen yet regarding the real risks of cesareans compared to vaginal births is from ChildbirthConnection.Org, formerly known as the Maternity Center Association:

http://childbirthconnection.org/article.asp?ck=10164

You can download the entire 27 page booklet, FREE!

It's endorsed by The Alliance for Transforming the Lives of Children, American Academy of Husband Coached Childbirth, American Association of Birth Centers, American College of Nurse-Midwives, Association of Labor Assistants and Childbirth Educators, Association of Nurse Advocates for Childbirth Solutions, Birth Works, Boston Association for Childbirth Education, Center for Medical Consumers, Cesarean Awareness Recovery Education Support - South Australia, Childbirth and Postpartum Professional Association, Citizens for Midwifery, Coalition for Improving Maternity Services, DONA International, International Cesarean Awareness Network, International Childbirth Education Association, Lamaze International, The Lawton and Rhea Chiles Center For Healthy Mothers and Babies, Maternity Center Association, Midwives Alliance of North America, National Association of Mothers' Centers, National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women's Health, National Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition, National Women's Health Network, Our Bodies, Ourselves, Postpartum Support International, and Society of Teachers of Family Medicine.

The insert for the booklet, "Vaginal Birth and Cesarean Birth: How do the risks compare?" is also available, FREE.

You may have to register, but this is an awesome site and they won't spam you.

Also...

Cesarean Section: Myths versus Reality

Good stuff!

Jen

Click--->Questioning Circumcision?<---Click

Intact Care Board</div>
July 15th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't understand why anyone would want to have a c-sec over a vaginal birth. Doesn't make sense. I don't think doctors should allow it if the mother(or baby) doesn't really need it.

July 15th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am against ELECTIVE c-sections. In fact, for the next time I get pg, I am going to tell the doctor I want a vbac over a repeat just because he says I HAVE TO. It is wrong, as long as mother and baby are not at risk. In a way my 1st was an elective but not by me, by the doctor and I was only 16 and naive about everything.

July 15th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with all of you ladies on the topic. I know in the magazine article I was reading (and it might say it in the CBS report) that a lot of women are choosing these c-sections mainly for convenience. They know the exact day there baby will be born and feel they have control over the whole "labor" thing. I disagree with it if it's not for a medical reason. I think (not 100% sure) that my doctor told me that if I had to have a c-section most likely all my other children would be born that same way. I still can't understand why so many women are choosing this birth method for no logical or medical reason.
Amanda
July 15th, 2006, 02:17 PM
chlodoll
I think if theres a medical reason its fine. It seems they use the term elective though to cover a broad range of c-sectionds even though they have some medical merit.
July 15th, 2006, 03:05 PM
friskycat01's Avatar Super Mommy
i guess I can't really decide if it bothers me or not. My immidiate reaction would be to say that I think everyone should try and avoid it if at all possible because of the extra risk involved.

But.....

I have decided, after having had an unplanned c-section with Layla, that I will opt for another one if I ever have another baby. I had such a tramatic labor experience before I got the c-section that a VBAC is just not in the cards for me. I just really don't think I could go through that again. That may make me a hypocrite, but I don' know.
July 15th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with friskycat01 in that I dont know if I agree or disagree. I dont really care how another woman delivers her baby, I would just hope that the baby comes out safe and sound.

I am also wondering about the term elective. I suppose in some sense my own c-section was elective. I have a malformed uterus and Cohen was also breech. Usually in my situation they reccommend a planned c-section. For me they gave me a choice. I could wait until I went into natural labour, at which point they would do that massage thing to try and turn him, which has nearly a 100 percent failure rate with ppl with my type of uterus. So then, while he would have probably still been breech, I could have tried to deliver him naturally, but since I had never had a baby before, they didnt know if he would have lots of room or not, and said he could get stuck in which case they would do an emergency c-section. This sounded rather scary to me, the idea of him getting stuck, so I opted for the planned c-section. It was alot less stress on me and I felt it was the safest way in my situation.

The only thing that bothers me about elective c-sections in first time moms for completely non medical reasons, is when a mother says, they just dont want to have to deal with the pain etc of delivery and feel they are getting the easy way out. Trust me, a c-section is NOT the easy way out. I know I have nothing to compare it to, but I was in ALOT of pain and it really hurt me to get out of bed and to walk, and I had to have someone with me for the first two days becuase I was incapable of taking care of my baby myself. Consequently I feel I lost out on alot of the bonding that takes place in those first days. I have heard from many friends who have had both c-sections AND vaginal births and they said they much preffered vaginal becuase they were back to their normal selfs very shortly after birth, able to walk around and no longer in pain(of course, these girls never had episiotimies or tearing). I just think its very naive to think a c-section is the easy way out. Thats just my opinion.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

July 15th, 2006, 06:55 PM
friskycat01's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
The only thing that bothers me about elective c-sections in first time moms for completely non medical reasons, is when a mother says, they just dont want to have to deal with the pain etc of delivery and feel they are getting the easy way out. Trust me, a c-section is NOT the easy way out. I know I have nothing to compare it to, but I was in ALOT of pain and it really hurt me to get out of bed and to walk, and I had to have someone with me for the first two days becuase I was incapable of taking care of my baby myself. Consequently I feel I lost out on alot of the bonding that takes place in those first days. I have heard from many friends who have had both c-sections AND vaginal births and they said they much preffered vaginal becuase they were back to their normal selfs very shortly after birth, able to walk around and no longer in pain(of course, these girls never had episiotimies or tearing). I just think its very naive to think a c-section is the easy way out. Thats just my opinion.[/b]

No I don't know what pushing feels like but I know what labor feels like and I had a tramatic one. Still I wish I was up and moving around sooner (evan though the doctors thought I recovered pretty quickly). A c-section is not easy and I hope that people that choose to have one know that ahead of time. I do and I am prepared to do it again because that is what is best for me.
July 16th, 2006, 02:14 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This one is a little tough for me..... in a way, I think that giving birth is giving birth... no matter how its done. If the doctor is okay with the choice and the mother is FULLY educated, I see no problem. I DON'T think the moms who decide they want a c-section (for non-medical reasons) just because they think it will be "easier" are educated. Trust me, its not the easy way out!!!!

I had a c-section with my daughter, after pushing for 3 hours straight. I had no choice, my c-section was for medical reasons. I'd love to attempt a VBAC, but for medical reasons (the reasons I needed my first c-section), I will not be able to have a VBAC... that saddens me, but I'm ok with it.... giving birth is giving birth.... it still makes me a mom and thats all that matters.

I honestly don't care if a woman asks for a c-section... what affect does that have on myself? Its not going to greatly affect my life.
July 16th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In the medical community, anything non-emergent is considered elective. That covers a broad range of scenarios, some of which many would consider to be necessary. And I'm curious to see how many of the frightening statistics have been skewed by this definition.

Personally, I don't think its anyones business how my child is born. I'm the one taking care of him before and after the fact.

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
July 16th, 2006, 02:31 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Personally, I don't think its anyones business how my child is born. I'm the one taking care of him before and after the fact.[/b]
I agree 100%
July 16th, 2006, 02:40 PM
kadydid
I think if a woman wants a c-section that is between her and her doctor, her body, her choice.
July 16th, 2006, 05:10 PM
LilMama0107
I could care less how a woman decides to give birth.....it's her body, her child, her choice. Selfish or not, it's not up to me to decide.
July 16th, 2006, 05:55 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am against electve c sections for non-medical reasons, ie good old Brittney Spears. People care because it puts mothers and childrens lives at risk for petty reasons.
July 16th, 2006, 06:28 PM
DiamondsGlow
I had an Elective C-Section with my son but in the end my doctor said I would of likely of had to have a C-section in the end because when they took my son out he did have the cord around his neck and his head was big.

I think it is the womans body so she gets to choose and from what I hear Britney Spears never actually said she got a C-section willingly, a bunch of ******* criticts started that rumor
July 16th, 2006, 06:41 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I think it is the womans body so she gets to choose[/b]
Why do you seem ok with a women choice here?
July 16th, 2006, 07:15 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
from what I hear Britney Spears never actually said she got a C-section willingly, a bunch of ******* criticts started that rumor[/b]
You hear wrong. Britney's mother told her that giving birth was the most painful thing in the world and Brit got scared and decided to schedule a c-sec to avoid the pain of childbirth. She was quoted in US Weekly several months before delivering.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search