Natural Childbirth debate

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
or a thread I missed about this?

I wanted some opinions from people who advocate natural (drug free) childbirth. I have some pretty strong opinions about it and didn't want to open a can of worms elsewhere.

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

July 17th, 2006, 10:20 AM
mrobinson
If you have a strong opinion, boy you found the right place! (Good luck with your delivery as I can see you're ready to pop!)

I think it should be a goal to be drug-free but I understand using drugs as pain is different from person to person as well as reaction to it.. I think, like everything, drugs are abused.. but the intention of the drug is used properly many times too.
July 17th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I still say its no ones business how I or anyone else choses to give birth.

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
July 17th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i think this is a great place to debate it! lets make it clear right now though this is not a c section debate, and i dont think the OP is saying it is, but wanted to get that out there from the beginning
i myself am hoping on a drug free, i'm hoping to do a birthing center, i know the drugs cross the placenta and i believe i was created to handle childbirth without drugs. i'd like to remember the event and i dont want my baby drugged and groggy. plus sometimes it doesnt work, and ladies i dont want a big needle in my back if there is a chance its not going to work anyways!

July 17th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Quote:
If you have a strong opinion, boy you found the right place! (Good luck with your delivery as I can see you're ready to pop!)

I think it should be a goal to be drug-free but I understand using drugs as pain is different from person to person as well as reaction to it.. I think, like everything, drugs are abused.. but the intention of the drug is used properly many times too.[/b]
Hello fellow Flames Fan! (FFF)

I tend to agree that drugs are overused and abused and while I would love to deliver naturally (most women in my family have, due to short labours), I'm not going to start beating myself up if I ask for that epidural four hours in. I look at it this way "would I deny freezing for a root canal?" The answer is no, so I guess I feel the same way about natural childbirth.

I have a friend who told me that natural was "the right thing to do." Then, she admitted to having an epidural because she had fractured her tailbone just before delivery. She made it sound like it was beyond her control and she "had" to have the epidural. First, why is drug free the "right" thing? Secondly, where's the medal at the end of a natural childbirth? Third, why do we argue against helpful medical interventions?

Quote:
i think this is a great place to debate it! lets make it clear right now though this is not a c section debate, and i dont think the OP is saying it is, but wanted to get that out there from the beginning
i myself am hoping on a drug free, i'm hoping to do a birthing center, i know the drugs cross the placenta and i believe i was created to handle childbirth without drugs. i'd like to remember the event and i dont want my baby drugged and groggy. plus sometimes it doesnt work, and ladies i dont want a big needle in my back if there is a chance its not going to work anyways![/b]
I honestly do understand the concern about drugs crossing the placenta. I guess I was more talking about epidurals, which have very little effect (to my knowledge) on the baby. And I can appreciate wanting to have a natural childbirth if you can hack it, but will you beat yourself up if you end of wanting drugs?

July 17th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Quote:
I still say its no ones business how I or anyone else choses to give birth.[/b]
this is true, and i'm sure the same can be said of BF vs FF. i'm not saying you are right or wrong, i think we are debating the issue of medical necessity, the facts, the pros and cons of doing it to inform people, not to say you are a terrible person or get into your business

July 17th, 2006, 10:33 AM
ITA!

I have to add though, what is 'necessary' is up to the experts... I don't consider knowing how to use Google to be an area of expertise..

Agatha Christie</span>
July 17th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Quote:
ITA!

I have to add though, what is 'necessary' is up to the experts... I don't consider knowing how to use Google to be an area of expertise..[/b]
i think i need more clarification here.. what do you mean

July 17th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not going to try and have a natural birth. I've already told my OB that I'm going to want an epidural. It was just my personal decision.
Amanda
July 17th, 2006, 10:44 AM
I was at a BBQ on the weekend, and as you can see by my ticker, very close to giving birth. I was talking to a friend about an epidural and a guy overheard and interuppted to say something like "I know someone who still can't walk after having an epidural!" I was so irritated. First, thanks for the timing of that comment. Secondly, we all know people who were worse off after having some kind of medical intervention that was "supposed" to help. It's calculated risks. It's not like I have blinders on, but one week before my due date, I don't need to hear the horror stories.

July 17th, 2006, 10:52 AM
I hear ya...

I am having a c-section, and due to the trauma from my last EMERGENCY c-section birth I will never be able to birth vaginally. I hate having to explain this to total strangers who want to judge and innundate me with statistics snatched off the internet. That's all I'm getting at. Statistics will never overshadow my personal experience.

Agatha Christie</span>
July 17th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have ahd one medicated and one unmedicated birth...and I am due any minute now ( I hope! ) and plan to have a second natural birth. I loved the unmedicated birth...I could move around, concentrate on my body more, experiment and be curious about what was happening, push when I felt the need...plus the baby and I were both ready to breastfeed and both awake and alert. I could also shower right away

That being said, natural isn't for everyone. Do your research and decide what's best for you. As long as you are educating yourself and making an educated decision, you shouldn't have any guilt or "what ifs" on the brain.
July 17th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have total respect for those that can go natural! I went as long as I could, but caved after several hours of laboring. I went in at 4 cm dilated by the way...so it wasn't until after that that I got the epi. Not that it matters at all. Anyway, at one point my epi was wearing off (well...a part of it had come out) and I wasn't getting the medicine any more. OH MY GOSH!!! The nurse said my contractions were as close and as strong as they could get...owie. They were able to give me more epi, but I unfortunately needed a c-section in the end anyway.

but...if you can do it! Good for you. Cause for me...it HURT!!!!

July 17th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Quote:
I was at a BBQ on the weekend, and as you can see by my ticker, very close to giving birth. I was talking to a friend about an epidural and a guy overheard and interuppted to say something like "I know someone who still can't walk after having an epidural!" I was so irritated. First, thanks for the timing of that comment. Secondly, we all know people who were worse off after having some kind of medical intervention that was "supposed" to help. It's calculated risks. It's not like I have blinders on, but one week before my due date, I don't need to hear the horror stories.[/b]
i agree timing is way off, you have probably already made your decision by now, and i dont care what you decided when you started, one week away from giving birth if you decide you want a dadgum epidural, you can have it, and he has no right to tell you if you should or shouldnt', or if you would like to hear horror stories, unless he might like the risk of a black eye! i think debating it here is a good idea, when i first came here, i came here to see the sides, to get educated, to look up more info on what everyone thought and to see what i believe. it challenges you and makes you look at your own beliefs. and so therefore i think debating this topic is a good idea. i dont want a medal and i do not think that i will be a better mom because i want to do natural, although i think some moms' clearly think they are better if they do natural. i think that is my first preference but if i chose to have one, i dont think i'll beat myself up for it. i think my husband will have the role of trying to get me to stick to my plan during the transition phase,where it's shown that most women ask for an epidural, but if i kick him in the groin and demand an epidural im ok with that. well i might apologize for kicking him, but not the epidural!

July 17th, 2006, 11:06 AM
mrobinson
If I've learned nothing else from JM, it's people say what really is riduclous to a pregnant lady!
July 17th, 2006, 11:07 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Unless it is life or death, for me, I will never had drugs in labour.

I am a doula, I am an EMR, I am educated in birth, just so that others in this debate don't think I am blowing smoke out my arse.

Everything does cross to some degree to the baby. It varies from person to person. Many factors come into it. What you are given, when you are given it (in relation to the birth), how you are given it (IV, injection, etc).

All meds given, whether pain meds or induction meds, have side effects. It is a cascade of effects.

If you have an epidural you have to have an IV. The IV will include meds for blood pressure as epidurals affect blood pressure.

Everything added in during labour can affect mom and/or babe. It can have adverse reactions. If you add nothing, nothing will happen, but when you add different things then you open up these possibilities.

If you birth "naturally", no interventions, no medications, your body will have its' own natural pain killer, your endorphins, they will kick in and help to relieve the pain.

When having meds in labour, moms often cannot take advantage of gravity. If mom can use gravity it often will make labour more effective and shorter.

Ultimately, I believe women should be told the truth about all possible things. They should be told all of the negatives and all of the possitives of different interventions and medications. They should be told of all the negatives and positives of a completely "natural" birth. They should be told of all the different things to do during labour to achieve the birth they desire. They should all be supported in whatever way they desire, it shouldn't be a matter of cost (I think all women should have a doula).

July 17th, 2006, 11:10 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
(I think all women should have a doula).[/b]
You know, my friend talked to me about labour with confidence.. she went drug free.. I think it's about confidence going into the labour. So I agree if everyone had a doula, they would have more education, information, and ultimatley more confidence..

I dont want to take away from those who did or will do.. If the resources aren't there, or the circumstances to great, what do you do?
July 17th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
All meds given, whether pain meds or induction meds, have side effects. It is a cascade of effects.

If you have an epidural you have to have an IV. The IV will include meds for blood pressure as epidurals affect blood pressure[/b]
I think this is what reallly got me to look into natural for my second and now this baby. I had an epi with the first and my BP had problems and I needed an oxygen mask now and then and they had to constantly monitor and give me more drugs...I just couldn't enjoy my birth experience at all. Then my babe slept a lot after the birth which lead to a lot of battles with the nurses over not giving formula...it was just downhill from the min I got the meds.
July 17th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Unless it is life or death, for me, I will never had drugs in labour.

I am a doula, I am an EMR, I am educated in birth, just so that others in this debate don't think I am blowing smoke out my arse.

Everything does cross to some degree to the baby. It varies from person to person. Many factors come into it. What you are given, when you are given it (in relation to the birth), how you are given it (IV, injection, etc).

If you have an epidural you have to have an IV. The IV will include meds for blood pressure as epidurals affect blood pressure.

Everything added in during labour can affect mom and/or babe. It can have adverse reactions. If you add nothing, nothing will happen, but when you add different things then you open up these possibilities.

If you birth "naturally", no interventions, no medications, your body will have its' own natural pain killer, your endorphins, they will kick in and help to relieve the pain.

When having meds in labour, moms often cannot take advantage of gravity. If mom can use gravity it often will make labour more effective and shorter.

Ultimately, I believe women should be told the truth about all possible things. They should be told all of the negatives and all of the possitives of different interventions and medications. They should be told of all the negatives and positives of a completely "natural" birth. They should be told of all the different things to do during labour to achieve the birth they desire. They should all be supported in whatever way they desire, it shouldn't be a matter of cost (I think all women should have a doula).[/b]

Blood pressure meds are not a certain when you have an epi. Only if your blood pressure is affected, which it's not for a great deal of people.

I agree that everything carries a risk...every drug intervention will. Can I ask if you go without drugs at the dentist? Would you agree to a surgical procedure without drugs? How about a c-section? I'm just curious, hence the "debate."

When I think about using drugs during labour, I always think the balance of a sane mom/healthy baby. I acknowledge the risks and weigh the benefits. So, I totally agree with the last part of your post. Education is the key.

July 17th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wouldn't there come a point for some women where it would actually be beneficial to the baby (and mother) to have the epi (or some kind of pain management drug)? How about if mom gets exhausted? Or if she's in so much pain she can't concentrate on what doctors are telling her? Couldn't that cause problems for the baby? Just curious. I had an epi (I was hooked up to IV when I went in...), at one point they gave the drugs as an injection, then I had a section. I was pretty drugged up (to say the least). But if pain is making you weak, isn't it better for the baby to have something to help with pain?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search