Having children...

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Do you think it is selfish of someopne to have a child knowing there is a serious risk of passing do
Yes! 1 5.56%
No! 14 77.78%
Undecided. 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2006, 08:34 PM
friskycat01's Avatar Super Mommy
Do you think it is selfish of a person with a strong family history of mental health issues to have children knowing that it is likely they could pass on the illness?
July 17th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it may depend on which illness and the chances of passing it on, but I have friends who have schizophrenic parents, manic depressive parents, and they didnt inherit these illnesses. And regardless, I dont think a child with such an illness doesnt have a right to be conceived.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

July 17th, 2006, 09:00 PM
friskycat01's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
I think it may depend on which illness and the chances of passing it on, but I have friends who have schizophrenic parents, manic depressive parents, and they didnt inherit these illnesses. And regardless, I dont think a child with such an illness doesnt have a right to be conceived.[/b]

What if they were told beforhand that, because of such an extensive history of mental illnes (from both the father and the mother), that there was an 85% chance of passing on an illnes such as bipolar disorder or schizophrenia?

If you are wondering why I ask, it happens to be my mother's opinion that I should not have had children because of our family's extensive history of bipolar disorder and depression.
July 18th, 2006, 06:44 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don;t think it's selfish at all. There are no two people out there without some medical history. Everyone has something that runs in there family, and therefore you always run the risk of passing something on to your kids. If you didn't have children because of that no one would have any kids.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
July 18th, 2006, 08:34 AM
LouLouMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
I think it may depend on which illness and the chances of passing it on, but I have friends who have schizophrenic parents, manic depressive parents, and they didnt inherit these illnesses. And regardless, I dont think a child with such an illness doesnt have a right to be conceived.[/b]

What if they were told beforhand that, because of such an extensive history of mental illnes (from both the father and the mother), that there was an 85% chance of passing on an illnes such as bipolar disorder or schizophrenia?

If you are wondering why I ask, it happens to be my mother's opinion that I should not have had children because of our family's extensive history of bipolar disorder and depression.
[/b]
I guess this hits a sore spot with me. Our son has bi-polar and is very easliy controlled with therapy and meds. No one, to our knowledge, in either family, has bi-polar. There is some depression and I have anxiety but just like someone else said, if this was the issue, no one would have kids. Mental illness can occur without the family history. Have as many kids as you want!!! It's your life!

Angel~9/12/05~with us for 5 weeks</span></span></span>
July 18th, 2006, 08:39 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
I guess this hits a sore spot with me. Our son has bi-polar and is very easliy controlled with therapy and meds. No one, to our knowledge, in either family, has bi-polar. There is some depression and I have anxiety but just like someone else said, if this was the issue, no one would have kids. Mental illness can occur without the family history. Have as many kids as you want!!! It's your life![/b]

I think mental health issues are the least understood... when I read what people say about them in the other threads, it just proves it to me.
July 18th, 2006, 09:53 AM
LouLouMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
I guess this hits a sore spot with me. Our son has bi-polar and is very easliy controlled with therapy and meds. No one, to our knowledge, in either family, has bi-polar. There is some depression and I have anxiety but just like someone else said, if this was the issue, no one would have kids. Mental illness can occur without the family history. Have as many kids as you want!!! It's your life![/b]

I think mental health issues are the least understood... when I read what people say about them in the other threads, it just proves it to me.
[/b]
Amen to that. There are MANY people in my family that we don't talk to, about it because they just know the stereotype "crazy" people. They would never understand because of the stigma attached to mental illness

Angel~9/12/05~with us for 5 weeks</span></span></span>
July 18th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
Wow. If there was a 100% guarantee that you would pass on a mental illness to a child, I *may* start thinking about the mental illness issue. Otherwise, I can't see how it would be an issue. My mom ended her life following years of depression.....I would hate to think my sister or I would not have made it into the world based on my mother's ongoing depression and the perceived liklihood that she would "pass it on."

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

July 18th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My father has paranoid schizophrenia. He is also manic-depressive. Although this mental illness is very heriditary, non of my brothers and sisters have it. Also many illness are well treated with medication and therapy.

When my father does take his medication (which is rare because he feels its easier to deal with the world he see's as a schizophrenic then the one he would see normally) He is a very well rounded hard working man. You wouldnt even know he had the illness.

Unfortunately like many have said though, mental illnesses are definately very misunderstood (many people think schizophrenia is multiple personality disorder which it isn't). At 13 I was "diagnosed" with schizophrenia by a Dr who was not very familiar with the illness. I had to be heavily medicated throughout middle school and highschool, no scizzors, pens or anything because the school did not understand.

I knew I did not have this disorder. At 18 I finally took control of my own treatment went to a special facility and they determined I had obsessive compulsive disorder! Which I knew because I wasn't hearing voices or having distored images of reality etc. I think the reason why people are "against it" like your mom is because she doesn't understand. She needs to be educated.

July 18th, 2006, 10:19 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
At 18 I finally took control of my own treatment went to a special facility and they determined I had obsessive compulsive disorder! Which I knew because I wasn't hearing voices or having distored images of reality etc. I think the reason why people are "against it" like your mom is because she doesn't understand. She needs to be educated.[/b]
First of all, to take control of your illness is wonderful. I hear so many people upset with the system because of misdiagnoses.. It's not easy to have that much confidence and control so hats off to you girl for it!

ON the other hand.. schizophrenia and OCD.. was that other doctor even in the mental health profession? IF he was YIKES!!!

Hmm.. I wonder who put yes?
July 18th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just don't see why mental illness being hereditary could/should be any more taboo than high blood pressure, diabetes, or any other physical ailment.

If you are morbidly obese, do we say you shouldn't have children for fear of passing on any obesity traits?

Genetics are like picking numbers out of a hat.... a very large hat.

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search