Does CPS have to much power?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 18th, 2006, 11:13 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here are some CPS horror stories

Just recently a mother wanted to take her 9 month old to a naturopath for his kidney problems. CPs took custody of the the baby and scheduled kidney surgery. The mothern then took the baby from the hospital. CPS iisued a state wide amber alert and the mother was arrested and charged with kidnapping. SHe is being held on 500,00 cash bail and her child will get a surgery that she doesn't feel he needs and she feels will kill him.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...ickbaby24.html

2 months ago a baby was taken from her mother because she was born at home and was given back on the condition that the mother take medication and not breastfed!

Quote:
This is really all that I know about the story, CPS heard from a doctor that this mother was planning a homebirth. CPS visited the house 4 days after the birth and demanded to see the baby. CPS claimed that the baby was sick so they seized it. CPS claims that the baby had thrush. now after the court case, CPS has returned the baby to the mother AFTER she signed a paper saying that she will take medication and OF COURSE it goes without sayingÖthe medication means that she has to NOT breastfeed.

Now, hereís the thingÖthis distraught family just wants to keep their baby and so WE have to come up with a way to protest, educate, and freak out on these CPS people without in ANY WAY making it more difficult for the parents to be with their baby. I for one would have liked for the CPS officer in charge to have been nearby when my head exploded so that she could have been covered by grey matter particulates, but hey, who can control a head explosion or the CPS for that matter?

Hereís another thing, Iím new to this CPS as the evil-doers thing, but one of my closest friends has been fighting with CPS, who were called by an anonymous tip because her kids didnít go to school. Since then I have become an anonymous researcher about all things CPS and well, Iím pretty freaked out! Remember the way you felt the first time you realized that hospitals donít know anything about birth? Like that. Thatís how I feel.

Did you know that itís ILLEGAL to NOT call CPS if you suspect child abuse?

Did you know that many, many Americans think that extended breastfeeding, co-sleeping, and homeschooling are abuse or neglect or at the least a symptom of abuse?

Do you know your legal rights if you get a knock on the door and someone tells you that they have to see your children or will leave with them? And did you also know that CPS is in the habit of lying to parents to gain entry into the home?

First, Iím so sorry to be the one to tell you that the world is not quite the way you may have thought, but please spend some time on this site, please please get to know your rights!
family rights association also fight CPS

Second, I think you will agree that it is up to us to educate the public that homebirth, extended breastfeeding, co-sleeping, pro-alternative medicine, and homeschooling are normal, natural and safe, healthy ways to rear children.

Iíll post some ideas about education laterÖ[/b]
Quote:
Child Protective Services reform- CPS has become a government agency that will enter homes and seize children without a search warrant. They also recieve government grants for every child that they place into adoption-in other words, the caseworkers get a bounty for taking children. There have started to be many cases of children being harrassed and even taken from families with alternative values- such as homebirth, or extended breastfeeding, or photos of the kids naked in the tub.[/b]
http://thecowgoddess.com/?s=CPS

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/087...D&link_code=as1

a mother's parental rights were severed because she smoked pot a few times while pregnant.
Another lost her child because of some type of time constraints in a Canada.

I have many many more but you get the idea....
How is that Cps can do this. Since when did my choice in how I raise my children need to be approved by them? And how much power should they have, esp when the number of children they place in foster care effects their pay rate???
July 18th, 2006, 11:28 AM
mrobinson

I know there are horror stories.. but reading them still send shock waves!

Quote:
How is that Cps can do this. Since when did my choice in how I raise my children need to be approved by them? And how much power should they have, esp when the number of children they place in foster care effects their pay rate???[/b]
Talking to both ends of people who want CPS help and speaking to the CPS directly, both sides feel helpless and that there isn't anything that can be done. Here in Alberta, they're just passing a new law that gives parents the right to overturn their drug addicted teen into rehab. (My ONLY concern is, I know we are already are stretched and don't have enough beds as it is. While they are going to be building a new facility for this program, the bottom line is, it's not here soon enough.)

I kinda feel like the CPS here tries to work with the parents.. from what I've seen. In fact, I think there are more kids in danger but CPS doesn't have the power to do anything about it.
July 18th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
working for CPS in texas... we had pretty little power. children that should have been removed without a doubt got to stay. i think it depends on your governing body of your state cause we had no power

July 18th, 2006, 12:08 PM
kadydid
Quote:
working for CPS in texas... we had pretty little power. children that should have been removed without a doubt got to stay. i think it depends on your governing body of your state cause we had no power[/b]
I think this too, I have not worked for CPS before but I have called CPS before and there was really nothing they could do about the abuse that was going on in this house.
July 18th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Super Mommy
I don't know about where everyone else is from, but where I am at, PA, it's not Illegal to NOT call CPS if you suspect, know of, etc. child abuse..

It is however, illegal to NOT call CPS if you are a mandated reporter, which I am. Mandated reporters are people who work in the CPS field, daycare teachers, social workers etc... If I suspect, know etc. child abuse I MUST report it or I can be penalized by law.

And here is another horror story. I had to contact CPS about someone I knew because their child was sitting in a drugged out house that was literally "hazy" from the amount of marijuana smoking that took place their, with the kids in the same room (little kids) and the one had bruises on their arm from the mother's boyfriend. So, I contacted CPS, but I did not report that I was a mandated reporter because I wanted to remain anonymous (you can not remain anonymous if you are a mandated reporter) and I gave the situation with very broad generalizations so this person would not know that it was me. Well, CPS went their and told her EVERYTHING. They are supposed to keep you anonymous, but they told her that I was female, my age, how I knew her, how I spoke, everything except giving my name, and that I'm sure is only because I didn't give it!
July 18th, 2006, 12:56 PM
JennSTX's Avatar Super Mommy
I have absolutely no respect for the organization and thankfully I have never had to deal with them in any way; in fact, I'd be terrified if I had to. Seriously, if someone came to my door from CPS to get directions because they were lost I'd be too scared to talk to them. I never hear anything about them that is good and the horror stories I do hear scare me to death because I am just the type of parent they seem to target, I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, go to bars, I breastfeed, read, sling, co-sleep and drink organic milk.

From what news I see about them they only seem to leave alone the sickos who foster 20 kids, starve them, lock them in cages in the attic never getting sunlight for 20 years because they are too busy using their foster money shooting up heroin and running drug dens out of the house. I mean that lady in NJ who did that got CPS visits all the time and nothing was done. How can you not know that a 40lb 16 year old is an abuse victim?!!!!

I know there must be some good ones but it is like they have nothing but bad PR - I can't think of a single story about them in recent memory that was favorable.

WE MADE IT TWO YEARS AND & 3 MONTHS BF'ing....he's weaning now!!!

July 18th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Ashes78
CPS in TX completely sucks. My oldest son's bio dad molested him when he was 4. He told the cops, the doctors, etc. the whole story. They sent a CPS officer out to talk to my son. Well, she was a very bitter lady and did not seem to be good with children at all. She was really gruff. My son wouldn't talk to her. We took him to a psychologist who taped her sessions with him. He told the psychiatrist everything. They only sent that one CPS worker to our house 1 time and since he wouldn't talk to her they dropped the case.

My in laws are foster parents for medically fradgile children. They leave these poor kids in the beds all day, don't change their diapers like they should and only bathe them once a week, yet CPS continues to give them foster children.

My in laws got mad at me for turning them in to CPS so they called CPS on me. They told CPS that my oldest son was supposed to be on medication but wasn't. I had to get papers from my son's doctor proving that he was on meds and they said they also needed to speak with his doctor. This case started months ago and CPS still hasn't closed it. They have yet to talk to his doctor. It really ticks me off that I am taking care of my freakin kids and CPS can't get off their butt and close this case yet the case with my son's dad was closed within a month...and he actually DID do something wrong.

ETA: The medication is for ADHD. I didn't know there was a law that you HAD to medicate your child for ADHD.
July 18th, 2006, 01:08 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I don't know about where everyone else is from, but where I am at, PA, it's not Illegal to NOT call CPS if you suspect, know of, etc. child abuse..

It is however, illegal to NOT call CPS if you are a mandated reporter, which I am. Mandated reporters are people who work in the CPS field, daycare teachers, social workers etc... If I suspect, know etc. child abuse I MUST report it or I can be penalized by law.

And here is another horror story. I had to contact CPS about someone I knew because their child was sitting in a drugged out house that was literally "hazy" from the amount of marijuana smoking that took place their, with the kids in the same room (little kids) and the one had bruises on their arm from the mother's boyfriend. So, I contacted CPS, but I did not report that I was a mandated reporter because I wanted to remain anonymous (you can not remain anonymous if you are a mandated reporter) and I gave the situation with very broad generalizations so this person would not know that it was me. Well, CPS went their and told her EVERYTHING. They are supposed to keep you anonymous, but they told her that I was female, my age, how I knew her, how I spoke, everything except giving my name, and that I'm sure is only because I didn't give it![/b]
Here it's law to report if you think it's going on.. It's also illegal to litter but good luck finding a cop to enforce that one.
July 18th, 2006, 02:07 PM
My husband got arrested for littering in lawrence MA. lol
July 18th, 2006, 02:12 PM
mrobinson
HA! HA!
July 18th, 2006, 06:18 PM
I do but I haven't known that for long.
July 18th, 2006, 06:46 PM
greenjeans's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
working for CPS in texas... we had pretty little power. children that should have been removed without a doubt got to stay. i think it depends on your governing body of your state cause we had no power[/b]
I've dealt with TX CPS on a number of occassions they refused for over a year to remove 4 children from a home that they were literally starving in. One little girl lost all her hair and was incontinent because of a lack of nutrition. When they were finally removed I became their babysitter for awhile and they were still in a bad environment in which (the mom had visitation) but grandma lied to cps about her not coming by. Come to find out, mom did come by on her days but was told she couldn't visit them.

Anyways, there's more to the story than that of course (abuse wise) and I called. The agent actually told them who it was that called. Totally pathetic. I saw them a few months later and the little boy cried because he wanted to come home with me. I heard him all across Sam's CLub screaming "home with you?" I still have nightmares about it.

July 18th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YES I fully agree they have way too much power. They harass innocent families and the ones who actually need it, they fall through the cracks. When our CPS is on the ballot during election time, we are one of the people advocating voting NO for them. They get more money, they have even more power.

I feel this way because I was a teen mom. Yes I dropped out of school and after my divorce from my 1st husband my DD & I moved in with my dad. My ex thought the way to get custody of my DD was to call CPS and have her taken from me, placed with him. But they hassled me and the only thing they could come up with was that I was a young mom. After a while they closed my case. A few years later they were involved in a misunderstanding and accused my DH (DF at the time) of touching my DD. We got it on a mini tape recorder where the caseworker tried to COERCE my DH into a confession. She ended up losing her job over it.

July 21st, 2006, 05:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
As a former social worker with CAS (Canadas Version of CPS) the system isn't perfect unfortunately, they overload workers with way to many cases and people get burnt out quick, the pay is shoddy, you work more hours a day then a normal person should, you see absolutely horrible things, there is a total lack of workers because no one wants a job with this much stress. Unfortunately in those conditions, sometimes you don't get the best workers and they may take advantage of the system or not do their job correctly. I definately didn't like or agree with everyone I worked with.

I do however agree with how much power we do have. Many people talk about the horror stories, but there are hundreds more miracles these workers do everyday. When it comes to children, they are the most vulnerable sector of our society, we have to take all complaints seriously. I do feel for the families that have had bad workers take on their case, and the worker should be ashamed. I just hear so much about how horrible CAS/CPS is but not many people take the time to actually look into what we go through. Thousands of calls a day of complaints. Doing 100 investigations and only finding one abuse case is better then not investigating all complaints and leaving that one child.

July 21st, 2006, 12:36 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
As a former social worker with CAS (Canadas Version of CPS) the system isn't perfect unfortunately, they overload workers with way to many cases and people get burnt out quick, the pay is shoddy, you work more hours a day then a normal person should, you see absolutely horrible things, there is a total lack of workers because no one wants a job with this much stress. Unfortunately in those conditions, sometimes you don't get the best workers and they may take advantage of the system or not do their job correctly. I definately didn't like or agree with everyone I worked with.

I do however agree with how much power we do have. Many people talk about the horror stories, but there are hundreds more miracles these workers do everyday. When it comes to children, they are the most vulnerable sector of our society, we have to take all complaints seriously. I do feel for the families that have had bad workers take on their case, and the worker should be ashamed. I just hear so much about how horrible CAS/CPS is but not many people take the time to actually look into what we go through. Thousands of calls a day of complaints. Doing 100 investigations and only finding one abuse case is better then not investigating all complaints and leaving that one child.[/b]

July 23rd, 2006, 09:23 AM
MommieinNC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There's another case recently of a 16y/o who didn't want to undergo chemo... He decided to take the alternative "natural" path of medications and such. His parents agreed to it, so CPS stepped in and has gotten a judge to order that he MUST appear at the hospital next week to begin chemo.
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/07/21/D8J0MGOO1.html

In some wyas CPS is good... in others, it's bad.

At 14, I was in CPS care... The caseworker I had was horrid... One time, she put me in a foster home with nothing but a foster "father" and five teenaged boys over 16... I was the only female there.. The "father" tried and tried to get the caseworker to move me, but she kept saying "no room anywhere else"... So for two months, I was supposidly living there, yet he allowed me to stay with one of my teachers instead until the caseworker FINALLY removed me to another home.

Then when I was 15, I ran away... Went to Arkansas... I was there for over two months... Finally when the cops were notified there that I was there by neighbors in Arkansas, they got into a fighting match with my caseworker back home because she had NEVER reported me missing, but told them to have me locked up in Juvi... They refused telling her that if she was doing her job right in the first place, I would have never ran away AND a missing persons report would have been filed.

Some caseworkers are overworked... others are lazy...

Then you read cases like this:http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/news/15097904.htm

And you realize... she's only been taken for questioning, her other two kids are still there... and it makes ya sick...
July 23rd, 2006, 06:15 PM
How can you agree to the amount of power they have when that power can tear families apart just becasue they go outside the norm?
July 23rd, 2006, 06:48 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Some caseworkers are overworked... others are lazy...

Then you read cases like this:http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/news/15097904.htm

And you realize... she's only been taken for questioning, her other two kids are still there... and it makes ya sick...[/b]

Quote:
How can you agree to the amount of power they have when that power can tear families apart just becasue they go outside the norm?[/b]
Because more often than not their power can't defend a child who needs defending.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search