Death Penalty

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 18th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
*becomes fly on the wall and watches*

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

July 18th, 2006, 02:54 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
*becomes fly on the wall and watches* [/b]
(trap set.. Michelle takes the bait..)
against.. your turn!
July 18th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
ALL FOR IT!!

July 18th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
For. But I'd want to be 100% sure there is not chance of it being a mistake. (I'd hate to execute an innocent person).

July 18th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Quote:
against.. your turn!
[/b]
Largely for. But acknowledging the gray areas.....and being Canadian, I may have a stronger opinion.
(Thinking of the obviously guilty murderers...Homolka, Bernardo ).

I work in psychology and sex offenders are notoriously the most difficult people to treat and cure. You will find most of them saying they will never get "cured." So, why do we keep obvious sex offenders, who are murderers (Paul Bernardo) in our jails and hope we can "fix" them and let them out 25 years (if we are lucky) later? Why do we segregate him so he is not killed by fellow inmates, give him three square meals a day, access to gyms, libraries, education, television, etc, while our homeless people starve on the streets? Why do the families of Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy have their tax dollars funneled into prisons to keep men like the one who killed their daughters fed and happy?

I guess I am a talkative fly

July 18th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
against.. your turn!
[/b]
Largely for. But acknowledging the gray areas.....and being Canadian, I may have a stronger opinion.
(Thinking of the obviously guilty murderers...Homolka, Bernardo ).

I work in psychology and sex offenders are notoriously the most difficult people to treat and cure. You will find most of them saying they will never get "cured." So, why do we keep obvious sex offenders, who are murderers (Paul Bernardo) in our jails and hope we can "fix" them and let them out 25 years (if we are lucky) later? Why do we segregate him so he is not killed by fellow inmates, give him three square meals a day, access to gyms, libraries, education, television, etc, while our homeless people starve on the streets? Why do the families of Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy have their tax dollars funneled into prisons to keep men like the one who killed their daughters fed and happy?

I guess I am a talkative fly
[/b]
I agree 100%

July 18th, 2006, 03:04 PM
irishxrose
Against.
July 18th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Some of us who are For have given reasons. could someone who is against give some? I'm truly curious.

July 18th, 2006, 03:16 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Against 100%

Quote:
Some of us who are For have given reasons. could someone who is against give some? I'm truly curious.[/b]
Nobody has the right to kill anyone.

July 18th, 2006, 03:17 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
why do we keep obvious sex offenders, who are murderers (Paul Bernardo) in our jails and hope we can "fix" them and let them out 25 years (if we are lucky) later?[/b]
We aren't trying to fix them completely is the problem.. There isn't enough research on how to because what politician is going to ask for public money to go towards a sex offender? None because it would be the end of their career.

Quote:
Why do we segregate him so he is not killed by fellow inmates, give him three square meals a day, access to gyms, libraries, education, television, etc, while our homeless people starve on the streets?[/b]
People we are better than them. We are civilized and they are not. The homeless is for another thread.

Quote:
Why do the families of Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy have their tax dollars funneled into prisons to keep men like the one who killed their daughters fed and happy?[/b]
We do need better support for the victim families. That doesn't mean we should change how we treat the criminals.
July 18th, 2006, 03:17 PM
irishxrose
Quote:
Some of us who are For have given reasons. could someone who is against give some? I'm truly curious.[/b]
We have laws against murdering someone, yet the government turns around and does it? Talk about hypocrisy.
July 18th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Against 100%

Quote:
Nobody has the right to kill anyone.
[/b]

I'm against for the reason above.
July 18th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Quote:
[We do need better support for the victim families. That doesn't mean we should change how we treat the criminals.[/b]
Would you still feel that way if he raped and murdered and chopped up your children?

July 18th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
In my heart, I'm all for it in some of the most serious cases (child murderes, violent sexual offenders, etc.) and I know that were someone to ever hurt my child I would probobly feel an overwhelming desire to slowly torture them to death. But, the rational side of my head knows that:
2 wrongs don't make a right
There have been many proven cases where there has been a wrongful conviction resulting in the execution of an innocent person.
For those giving the "tax dollars" argument, it actually costs the state considerably more money to execute someone than put them in jail for life.
It's actually pretty humane in my eyes. Lethal injection is probobly one of the more peaceful ways to die. I think letting someone sit in solitary confinement for the rest of their life is a much greater punishment.
I don't think it is our place to arrange a meeting with God. He is the ultimate judge I think God has a plan, and he will take these people when he is good and ready and at that point they will face a fate far worse than death
July 18th, 2006, 03:35 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Quote:
[We do need better support for the victim families. That doesn't mean we should change how we treat the criminals.[/b]
Would you still feel that way if he raped and murdered and chopped up your children?
[/b]
My dh and I decided as the mom (the weak one in society) wrapped with my family history of mental illness... I would be more likely to get away with it.. killing the guy who did it, I mean.

(Back to reality) I would be entitled to hate him, not kill him. If you would have asked me this when I was sixteen, I would have said put the mad dog down.. Well, I've learned more about dogs, the mad and more about the mind of criminal. I feel sorry for them. Like a mad dog has an owner to blame, a criminal has a parent to blame.. People are born innocent.. It's the rest of us that screw them up.
July 18th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am against the killing of another human being, for any reason. The death penalty is killing another human being. Ergo, I am against.

It's not my judgement to send another man (or woman) to death. And 2 wrongs do not make a right, as in the case of criminals. Until the killing of the offender can actually bring someone back, Iwill never support or condone the death penalty.

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
July 18th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
But why should MY money go to cable tv and great libraries for people who have bludgeoned (or however they killed someone) to death? I can't afford to have a lot of nice things...so why should I pay for these people to have them? And we are talking about a lot of money here. Some people live on death row for 25+ years. I can't afford to pay all my bills, but I'm a bad guy for wanting NOT to have to let some guy on death row have good meals, cable tv, internet access (to which God only knows what he's researching), and library access?

And I don't think we should put sex offenders to death. I think it should be limited to those who murder.

July 18th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
But why should MY money go to cable tv and great libraries for people who have bludgeoned (or however they killed someone) to death? I can't afford to have a lot of nice things...so why should I pay for these people to have them? And we are talking about a lot of money here. Some people live on death row for 25+ years. I can't afford to pay all my bills, but I'm a bad guy for wanting NOT to have to let some guy on death row have good meals, cable tv, internet access (to which God only knows what he's researching), and library access?

And I don't think we should put sex offenders to death. I think it should be limited to those who murder.[/b]
Well, because as a society, we need jails and institutions. And, if jais are truly places of reform and rehabilitation, then why shouldn't the prisoners in them be treated as human beings?

Seacrest OUT!! This one is gonna get messy!

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
July 18th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If it was my own child, if it was any child, what I want and what I know is right are do different things.

I may hate someone, think they're disgusting, evil, etc. Heck, I might even do a happy dance if they got killed by another inmate. Doesn't mean it's right.

As for wasting "my" tax money on jailtime. I do think that some services are a bit much for criminals. But if we plan to let them back into society at some point we can't totally dehumanize them.

I think multiple life sentences with no chance for parole is better than the death penalty for serious offenders. It removes them from society. Yeah it will cost a lot, but you don't kill people to save money.
July 18th, 2006, 03:57 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
But why should MY money go to cable tv and great libraries for people who have bludgeoned (or however they killed someone) to death? I can't afford to have a lot of nice things...so why should I pay for these people to have them? And we are talking about a lot of money here. Some people live on death row for 25+ years. I can't afford to pay all my bills, but I'm a bad guy for wanting NOT to have to let some guy on death row have good meals, cable tv, internet access (to which God only knows what he's researching), and library access?[/b]
I know that it's hard to justify about paying taxes some days, but the great news is, you have the ability to make political change. Lobby to get rid of cable and colour tv's.. (Move to Alberta!)

Quote:
And I don't think we should put sex offenders to death. I think it should be limited to those who murder.[/b]
Eye for an eye, eh? (Leaving the world blind...)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search