Birds and the Bees Talk

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2006, 11:36 AM
** Mandy **
Did you get one? Do you think all kids should? Do you think it matters as to their choices and development? What age is appropriate for it?

July 21st, 2006, 12:17 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Did you get one? Do you think all kids should? Do you think it matters as to their choices and development? What age is appropriate for it?[/b]
I didn't get one but I think all kids should from the time they start asking or appropriate to say something they would understand at their age. I think if we speak as freely about it as anything normal subject from the start, it will serve them better and erase the social stigma. I mean, I wouldn't tell a three year old about fallopian tubes but I would say the older we get, our bodies change so we can make a baby... It's just age appropriate to their understanding..
July 21st, 2006, 12:30 PM
kadydid
Quote:
Quote:
Did you get one? Do you think all kids should? Do you think it matters as to their choices and development? What age is appropriate for it?[/b]
I didn't get one but I think all kids should from the time they start asking or appropriate to say something they would understand at their age. I think if we speak as freely about it as anything normal subject from the start, it will serve them better and erase the social stigma. I mean, I would tell a three year old about fallopian tubes but I would say the older we get, our bodies change so we can make a baby... It's just age appropriate to their understanding..
[/b]
ITA! The key is age appropriate!
July 21st, 2006, 12:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I did get one, a very in depth and age appropriate talk at age 9. Then again later on I got even more information, as I got older.

Of course all kids should be told about sex and related matters, but it should be age appropriate. My DD is 5 and really wants to know how babies get out of their mommies. I am reluctant to give her the whole story at her age, but I have told her that doctors have a way of getting the baby out and I'll give her more details as she gets older. She doesn't need to know EVERYTHING at this age, but I've been giving her age appropriate bits and pieces all along.

July 21st, 2006, 01:02 PM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
I was 7 or 8, but very mature and my mom used encyclopedias to help explain. I remember as being the day I understood how life was created, but it was years later before I understood that ..... tab A went into slot B, if you know what I mean.

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

July 24th, 2006, 04:27 PM
irishxrose
I was 13 when I got the talk... and my mom didn't really go indepth or anything, so it wasn't all that helpful. I learned more from the Jerry Springer show and movies than I ever did from my mom... She kind of regrets it now, because she knows I had sex early, but she DID put me on birth control and told me to use condoms if I was going to have sex, so it wasn't that big of a deal. I do plan on giving our children a long indepth conversation about it, because I didn't really know anything about it, and I want them to know.
July 24th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have already given the talk to my DD at the age of 10.5 but she got the PG/PG-13 version of it. I will tell her more later on. Neither of my parents gave me the talk when I was younger. My DD is developing early like I did. I don't want to say getting pregnant at 15 was a mistake but it was something I certainly could have waited to do. But she is here now and I am going to do my best to make sure she finishes school and gets to do the things I didn't because I chose to be a mother. Responsible parenting is knowing you need to learn from yours and/or your parents experiences in life.

July 24th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't remember "the talk" because I think we started pretty early (I have a very early mempry of my mom reading us a book on how babies were made). I learned the more medical stuff when I was 12 in school and the "other" stuff (oral sex, slang terms, etc) through friends

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search