I guess this kind of sums it up for me....

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2006, 09:18 PM
friskycat01's Avatar Super Mommy
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K8Vs5xgOif8"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K8Vs5xgOif8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
July 22nd, 2006, 11:08 PM
kadydid
I love it!!
July 23rd, 2006, 12:10 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OK even I had to LMBO!

July 23rd, 2006, 05:14 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That was good!

July 23rd, 2006, 04:01 PM
LouLouMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I thought it was stupid and something that is in poor taste to joke about. We can make fun of dead babies now?

Angel~9/12/05~with us for 5 weeks</span></span></span>
July 23rd, 2006, 04:22 PM
MatteasMommy07's Avatar Member
Am I the only one who doesn't see anything??? I just show a blank white space....

[size=4]
July 23rd, 2006, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Am I the only one who doesn't see anything??? I just show a blank white space....[/b]
Scroll down to the bottom of her post and wait a sec I wondered the same thing at first!

July 23rd, 2006, 06:08 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
We can make fun of dead babies now?[/b]
Cells.. babies... I don't see the same things..

But to say it's murder and life counts, yet have a war is hypocritical.
July 23rd, 2006, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
Hey, get off my back, would ya? My final thought on this: Innocent people who die in a war are unintentional victims. No one goes out and just openly kills civilians "just because". Yes, it's horrible but it's a fact of life. Abortions are innocent lives taken for a purpose. I don't see it as hypocritical and honestly, I don't see the 2 sides of abortion seeing eye to eye on this subject either. I think cells are life and the jokes are offensive to me. Probably because most would view my m/c at 5 weeks as just cells. Others obviously find it funny, oh well.

July 23rd, 2006, 06:36 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Probably because most would view my m/c at 5 weeks as just cells. Others obviously find it funny, oh well.[/b]
Come on.. no one is even coming close to comparing laughing at a 5 week miscarriage.. and I don't think you'll find a woman here to say a 5 week pregnancy is just a bunch of cells..

We are talking about cells.. not about your 5 week miscarriage.
July 23rd, 2006, 07:00 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
I have to be devil's advocate here:
Depending on one's definition of the beginning of life, it could also be argued that it's hypocritical to call war casualties murder and embryonic research justifiable. The comparison's validity is arguable based on each individual's perception and opinion on the issue.

July 23rd, 2006, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Probably because most would view my m/c at 5 weeks as just cells. Others obviously find it funny, oh well.[/b]
Come on.. no one is even coming close to comparing laughing at a 5 week miscarriage.. and I don't think you'll find a woman here to say a 5 week pregnancy is just a bunch of cells..

We are talking about cells.. not about your 5 week miscarriage.
[/b]
Oh no, that's not what I meant!!!...oh I'm tired and my words aren't coming out right. What people are laughing at, I mean Jon Stewart, the dead baby jokes, making light of something serious. I know that no one here would laugh at that. What kind of b*tch do you think I am? Don't answer that A 4 week pregnancy is actually only 2 weeks and it's not much more than a bunch of cells, that's why I was comparing the 2. It's hard to say why we feel life starts where it does. I feel one way and some feel another, kwim? It's the closest way to explain why I feel those cells are life. I believe that life starts at conception so for me, it's not just cells. Sorry for all of the confusion and sounding like a mad woman

July 23rd, 2006, 07:30 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
I have to be devil's advocate here:
Depending on one's definition of the beginning of life, it could also be argued that it's hypocritical to call war casualties murder and embryonic research justifiable. The comparison's validity is arguable based on each individual's perception and opinion on the issue.
[/b]
You see, I see some war as justifiable which is why I see abortion and research as justifiable.. I just don't see this war as justifiable.

Quote:
Oh no, that's not what I meant!!!...oh I'm tired and my words aren't coming out right. What people are laughing at, I mean Jon Stewart, the dead baby jokes, making light of something serious. I know that no one here would laugh at that. What kind of b*tch do you think I am? Don't answer that A 4 week pregnancy is actually only 2 weeks and it's not much more than a bunch of cells, that's why I was comparing the 2. It's hard to say why we feel life starts where it does. I feel one way and some feel another, kwim? It's the closest way to explain why I feel those cells are life. I believe that life starts at conception so for me, it's not just cells. Sorry for all of the confusion and sounding like a mad woman [/b]
July 23rd, 2006, 09:40 PM
My point is this...

Stem cell research has the potential to benefit so many by curing horrible, tragic diseases yet Bush refuses to let a bill pass because he feels it's "murder". Still we are fighting a war that has ended 30,000 + innocent lives for a benefit that has yet to be seen.

Now I ask you... that in no way seems hypocritical to you? To me, Bush is basically saying that these bunch of cells (which, if used in the right way, has the potential to cure, or at least help cure, some of the worlds most horrific diseases) are more important and more valuable to him than the innocent people killed as a result of a war that no one has yet benefitted from.

Why is this? Because that bunch of cells has the potential to be an American and those potential American lives are worth more than a foreigner's who already walks talks and has people that love them?! I don't understand.
July 23rd, 2006, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Why is this? Because that bunch of cells has the potential to be an American and those potential American lives are worth more than a foreigner's who already walks talks and has people that love them?! I don't understand. [/b]
Is this another vague attempt at a Hitler comparison? I don't think the potential nationality of the cells has anything to do with his position. Bush, like many people, sees casualties of war as a completely seperate and distinct issue from abortion or, in this case, stem cell research. I don't understand the comparison either to be honest.
If you want to compare the two, then you are admitting that you believe the embryos to be alive. If you believe the embryos to be alive, yet still support stem cell research, how can you maintain a negative position on war casualties? If you believe the embryos to be nothing more than cells and, therefore not alive, then how do you justify the comparison between a cluster of cells and the casualties of war?

July 23rd, 2006, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Quote:

Why is this? Because that bunch of cells has the potential to be an American and those potential American lives are worth more than a foreigner's who already walks talks and has people that love them?! I don't understand. [/b]
Is this another vague attempt at a Hitler comparison? I don't think the potential nationality of the cells has anything to do with his position. Bush, like many people, sees casualties of war as a completely seperate and distinct issue from abortion or, in this case, stem cell research. I don't understand the comparison either to be honest.
If you want to compare the two, then you are admitting that you believe the embryos to be alive. If you believe the embryos to be alive, yet still support stem cell research, how can you maintain a negative position on war casualties? If you believe the embryos to be nothing more than cells and, therefore not alive, then how do you justify the comparison between a cluster of cells and the casualties of war?
[/b]
The point is HE thinks the embyos are alive so it is wrong to "murder" them but he seems justified in allowing the killing of LIVING BREATHING HUMAN BEINGS. It is not a matter what I think it is a matter of how HE justifies killing in one sense and not another. And in my opinion the lives of the living (those that can live and breath on their own that is) are far more important than the lives of the ALMOST living.
July 23rd, 2006, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
The point is HE thinks the embyos are alive so it is wrong to "murder" them but he seems justified in allowing the killing of LIVING BREATHING HUMAN BEINGS. It is not a matter what I think it is a matter of how HE justifies killing in one sense and not another. And in my opinion the lives of the living (those that can live and breath on their own that is) are far more important than the lives of the ALMOST living.
[/b]
The point is, embryos (let's consider them alive for this) are not comparable to, what he would consider, collateral damage of war.
There are many people who are pro-life, yet support the war, because they are completely different and seperate issues! To try to lump them together is ridiculous IMO, I fail to see how one can compare stem cell research and the war. I don't disagree with stem cell research, it is a fertilized egg, a cluster of cells...to ME! His (GW's) opinion, though, is that it is no different than killing babies, his position is that they are alive at the point of fertilization...and there are some people, on this board, that agree with that assertion (according to opinions on other boards).

July 23rd, 2006, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(friskycat01 @ Jul 23 2006, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

The point is, embryos (let's consider them alive for this) are not comparable to, what he would consider,collateral damage of war .

[/b][/quote]

I agree, it's not comparable. I think the "collateral damage of war" (aka the kiling of living, BREATHING, humans) is a HELL of a lot worse than performing research on discarded and unwanted embryos for the benifit of curing diseases. I really don't understand why it is justifiable to kill in the case of war becasue it is what he thinks is right. That "collateral damage of war" you are talking about consists of INNOCENT victums including CHILDREN. Children that at one time could sing, dance, love, and were loved by their families. How is that "collateral damage of war" in any way justifiable?

The point is he values these embryos over breathing human life.
July 24th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StaceyC @ Jul 24 2006, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>
Quote:

[/b]
[/b]
The point is, embryos (let's consider them alive for this) are not comparable to, what he would consider,collateral damage of war .

[/b][/quote]

I agree, it's not comparable. I think the "collateral damage of war" (aka the kiling of living, BREATHING, humans) is a HELL of a lot worse than performing research on discarded and unwanted embryos for the benifit of curing diseases. I really don't understand why it is justifiable to kill in the case of war becasue it is what he thinks is right. That "collateral damage of war" you are talking about consists of INNOCENT victums including CHILDREN. Children that at one time could sing, dance, love, and were loved by their families. How is that "collateral damage of war" in any way justifiable?
The point is he values these embryos over breathing human life.
[/b][/quote]
Speaking of innocent lives lost, why don't you go check the names and ages and life stories of the 9/11 victims.
NOBODY wants war, yet it is a fact of life, it has occurred throughout history and, no doubt will continue to happen throughout the future. Stem cell research is a new concept and may take some time for people to fully understand or realize the benefits of. For many, the embryos are LIVING THINGS, and still some consider them babies, for people who hold that opinion on the "living state" of the embryos, I understand their opposition. For some it is no different than requesting that people donate newborn children for research.
I am not opposed to stem cell research, and I do support the war...still don't see how this comparison is valid?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search