graffit artists

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
I saw this on the news last night, and want to see what everyone else thought.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/.../072310708.html
Quote:
LAS VEGAS (AP) - Mayor Oscar Goodman is suggesting a strange, new punishment for graffiti vandals: bind them in a medieval-style stocks and give the public a chance to paint their faces.

"This would be a great deterrent," Goodman said, adding the city attorney's office was researching whether the proposal was constitutional. "I want to see if it falls under cruel or unusual punishment. If not, great. Let's put it into effect."

For months, Goodman has complained about so-called graffiti taggers and even proposed that removing their thumbs in public would serve as a deterrent. Until recently, he wouldn't back down from his proposal.

"We were not going to cut thumbs off," he said. "That was to begin discussions on the issue."

Michael Green, professor of history at Community College of Southern Nevada, wondered aloud if the mayor was serious. "I never expected Oscar to take a page from the pilgrims and Puritans," Green said.

Stocks are pivoting boards placed around the wrists and head, which are then locked in. Sometimes also locking in place feet, they were popular in medieval and puritanical times as a humiliating form of punishment.

Goodman explained that he would set out stocks in a public square and have a bucket of paint nearby.

"It wouldn't be in the hot sun or anything," he said. "Let him sit out there for an hour, people can come by and put some paint on his head, and let him walk around like that for a week or two."

Goodman has pitched this idea at a number of public events over the past few weeks, though it appears few have taken him seriously.

One constitutional expert said the proposal would not get far in court.

"Punishment of this sort, solely to embarrass and humiliate, violates the Eighth Amendment," Erwin Chemerinsky, a professor of law and political science at Duke University, wrote in an e-mail. "Putting people in stocks certainly is offensive to evolving standards of decency. And allowing people to put paint on individuals - repeated batteries - would never be tolerated in the courts."

Howard Rosenberg, a member of the university Board of Regents, criticized the mayor's off-the-cuff remarks.

"He really needs to use his head for something besides a hat rack," Rosenberg said. "Each time he's making one of these outrageous statements, it undercuts his effectiveness. What we need to do is come up with answers. Deal with it as cultural phenomenon, a psychological phenomenon."

He proposed a penalty of 1,500 hours spent cleaning up graffiti for those caught tagging.

Clark County's Juvenile Justice Services has a program that requires taggers to be assigned to community service to paint over the work of their counterparts.

The crime can also become a felony if the damage is more than $5,000, according to a city spokeswoman.

A 19-year-old Reno man was sentenced Wednesday to two years in jail for repeated graffiti crimes.[/b]
I have to admit, I think that the suggested punishments (especially cutting off the thumbs ) exceeds cruel and unusual. I do, however, find it irritating that graffiti taggers believe that their work should somehow be valued as art. I know that art and its value lies in the eyes of the beholder, but I do not perceive it as art (artistic, maybe) nor do I see any value when the canvas is the side of a building.

July 25th, 2006, 11:56 AM
mrobinson
Quote:

I have to admit, I think that the suggested punishments (especially cutting off the thumbs ) exceeds cruel and unusual. I do, however, find it irritating that graffiti taggers believe that their work should somehow be valued as art. I know that art and its value lies in the eyes of the beholder, but I do not perceive it as art (artistic, maybe) nor do I see any value when the canvas is the side of a building.[/b]

Sotcks and painting their faces? Ok while this whole idea is laughable.. How is going to be a derrent? The first person who gets this "punishment" will be an instant celebrity and their "art" will likely be showcased.. This is so utterly backwards!
July 25th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
LOL as if they even thought of that.

July 25th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
Quote:
Quote:

I have to admit, I think that the suggested punishments (especially cutting off the thumbs ) exceeds cruel and unusual. I do, however, find it irritating that graffiti taggers believe that their work should somehow be valued as art. I know that art and its value lies in the eyes of the beholder, but I do not perceive it as art (artistic, maybe) nor do I see any value when the canvas is the side of a building.[/b]

Sotcks and painting their faces? Ok while this whole idea is laughable.. How is going to be a derrent? The first person who gets this "punishment" will be an instant celebrity and their "art" will likely be showcased.. This is so utterly backwards!
[/b]
LOL! I hadn't thought of that!
The Mayor is not really held in a high regard by many citizens here in Vegas. He is kind of a dipsh*t!

July 25th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Michelle has a very good point! And I don't think it can be considered art (even by the "artist"), if you are vandalizing someone else's property to display your work. It's disrespectful and ignorant. I understand that he probably feels that taking action like letting the vandal be painted in public is similar to posting someone's NSF check on the wall of a store, but I agree with Michelle that it won't have the desired results. I think you'd get far better results forcing the vandals to restore the buildings to their original condition at their own time and expense. I'd also consider tacking on some community service in the way of beautifying the city - roadway cleanup, window washing at city hall, etc.
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
July 25th, 2006, 11:03 PM
irishxrose
Personally I find some graffiti to be incredible works of art, but I don't agree with tagging buildings. I just wish that there was a place for them to do it legally.

And this mayor sounds like a quack.
July 26th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh man that made me laugh!
But I can't help but wonder, why doesn't the US allow punishments that are humiliating or embarassing! I have to say that humiliation for many would be a far greater deterrant than spending a night in jail or a few weekends cleaning up.
I mean think about it, here's this guy, thinking he's a thug and just the coolest. He gets caught "making art" and gets locked up in the stocks. Now all the tourists that go to LV can paint his face, give him girls makeup, unibrow, whatever...haha. I mean, nobody would want to go through that and people might think twice before they tag a building. If it ever passed, it should be in addition to cleaning up the building they vandalized.
But come on, lets start humiliating our crooks!

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search