Should you speak the language

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2006, 11:45 AM
** Mandy **
Should you speak the language of the place in which you live (whether it be the US or else ware) or should that place be accommodating (in schools, work, etc)?

July 25th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think you should, I live in Canada (Ontario) and because Ontario is next to Quebec and the language spoken there is french and here english, its mandatory that every sign, menus, pamphlets etc are all in both languages. Now Im not as fluent in french as Id like to be, and if I was I would have more opportunities.

It should be accomodating to new people to the area in terms of helping them seek easy translation, offering free language classes to assist them in learning. I think if they don't learn the language they will be extremely under privilaged.

July 25th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When in Rome...

Krissy - I find it irritating that it's mandatory for the rest of the country to recognize and publicize in both languages, and yet Quebec does not extend that same courtesy back. I have only been to Quebec twice, but both times I noticed that most signage was only in french despite the fact that the province is supposed to recognize both languages. A police officer in Hull (which I would have expected to be more english-speaking than the rest of Quebec given its proximity and the fact that a lot of its residents work in Ottawa) was trying to tell us that we were not allowed to be on the beach anymore because it was late. He spoke in very clear and concise english to ask if anyone spoke french in the group. We explained that our french host was just getting something from the car and they refused to speak to us in english, they waited until our friend returned to speak in french.
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
July 25th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think you need to speak the language of the land. It might be ok if you don't speak the language yet. And lets say a english speaking person can teach you to speak the language of the land your going to live in. But to work and live a normal life in another place. You should be expected to learn that language.
July 25th, 2006, 01:20 PM
mrobinson
Canada is very multi-cultural.. Even at the distress centre we have all sort of language resources so we can speak their language. People who have come to Canada need assistance and look for resources. They want to help themselves and need a place to start.
Quote:
There was this fire at a house and the pakistani gramma couldnt speak english to tell the fire fighters that her grand children were in the basement.. they died. So I think it is very important to at least learn some of it to start.[/b]
When did this happen?
July 25th, 2006, 01:27 PM
MommieinNC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the "when in rome" statement...

I don't think that people who were born and raised should be held back from jobs/oppurtunities just because they can't speak the language of people coming into the country... and in America... it's that way.
July 25th, 2006, 02:05 PM
chlodoll
can i make a thread saying i am sick of language and immigrant topics? lol
July 25th, 2006, 02:10 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
can i make a thread saying i am sick of language and immigrant topics? lol[/b]
No kidding, eh?

Quote:
Oh did you read about that woman that miscarried in the waiting room at the PLC??? That is aweful[/b]
I did.. I posted it here on JM too. (here)
July 25th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Justmeandmyguys's Avatar Veteran
yes u should, at least the basics. personally, i do not accommodate to anyone
July 25th, 2006, 02:29 PM
mrobinson
Thread: Should you speak the language.
Response:
Quote:
yes u should, at least the basics. personally, i do not accommodate to anyone[/b]
Does that include the basics such as grammer? Capitalization?
July 25th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I think you should, I live in Canada (Ontario) and because Ontario is next to Quebec and the language spoken there is french and here english, its mandatory that every sign, menus, pamphlets etc are all in both languages. Now Im not as fluent in french as Id like to be, and if I was I would have more opportunities.

It should be accomodating to new people to the area in terms of helping them seek easy translation, offering free language classes to assist them in learning. I think if they don't learn the language they will be extremely under privilaged.[/b]
I live in Quebec and while I understand that perhaps as an immigrant speaking a foreign language it might be ideal to learn the language of the country you move to... I am SICK of being a 2nd class citizen for being english in a bilingual country!! I was born to an english family. English is my first lanaguage, again in a BILINGUAL country, but nono not in Quebec. Quebec is a pre-dominatley french society, more so over the last 20 years as the english have left after several referendums over the possibility of my province seperating from the country. I understand that I live in a french "world" but I have to say I am sick and tired of being treated like crap for being english. I try and speak french, but no matter what I get the "oh you are enlgish, i hear your accent, how can you be english in Quebec, how did that happen". My SO has been looking for a job here for 6 months and sent out over 200 resumes, for jobs he was qualified for and jobs he was overqualified for, he is perfectly bilingual but has an english name and did he get a job nope!!! no one called. He sent just TWO resumes to Ontario and they both called back and said his resume was amazing and he is gold. So we are moving to Ontario. I understand this is a tangent. But you know. I have tried all my life to learn the language of the place I live in, but no matter what I will never perfect it. And I get treated like a 2nd class citizen every day for it. I just think thats pretty crap when you were born here and you are living in a country that is supposed to be respectful of both languages. I DO consider myself bilingual, but I have been disrespected for my accent before.

Should that place be accomodating... I say sure if it can be. I have to admit, I am pretty darn sick of recceiving everything in french when I write and ask for it in english, again as I said in a country that is bilingual. I get all my tax returns in french, my cable bill, my hydro, everything!

I think a country should be accomodating if it has the means. If there is a large percentage of ppl living in it who speak a certain language, and the country has ppl on their staff who can translate to that language, why not send them their tax return in thier own language!!

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

July 25th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Amen! Gracias a Dios! er...I mean...
July 25th, 2006, 07:56 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
My SO has been looking for a job here for 6 months and sent out over 200 resumes, for jobs he was qualified for and jobs he was overqualified for, he is perfectly bilingual but has an english name and did he get a job nope!!![/b]
We're looking here in Calgary for everything if you're interested!

Quote:
Quote:
Amen! Gracias a Dios! er...I mean...
[/b]
July 26th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I coudn't imagine moving to a county where I didn't speak the languagee. I don't mind if your trying to learn english [or the primary language of the country]. But to expect that you don't need to learn English at some point is crazy. I do'nt expect perfection, but at least enough for daily life [reading street signs, ordering food, etc].
July 26th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
When in Rome...

Krissy - I find it irritating that it's mandatory for the rest of the country to recognize and publicize in both languages, and yet Quebec does not extend that same courtesy back. I have only been to Quebec twice, but both times I noticed that most signage was only in french despite the fact that the province is supposed to recognize both languages. A police officer in Hull (which I would have expected to be more english-speaking than the rest of Quebec given its proximity and the fact that a lot of its residents work in Ottawa) was trying to tell us that we were not allowed to be on the beach anymore because it was late. He spoke in very clear and concise english to ask if anyone spoke french in the group. We explained that our french host was just getting something from the car and they refused to speak to us in english, they waited until our friend returned to speak in french.[/b]

I totally agree with you on that. I didn't want to mention that incase anyone on here was from Quebec. It irritates me aswell. I went to Montreal and I had a similar experience, I found I was treated poorly because I didn't speak french fluently enough ....but thats a whole other debate lol.

July 26th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
well i'll flat out say it- it irritates me when people come here legally or not and refuse to learn the language. they expect their kids to just translate for them, or they just try to get by without learning any of it to preserve their culture from their original countries instead of learning to adjust and acculturate to two cultures

i'll say that it irritates me that when i worked at a doctors office people called in spanish to make appointments, ask what was wrong with them and so on. then came in and could not fill out paperwork or talk to the doctor in english, and did not bring a translator or expected a 9 year old to do it for them. at least try!

July 26th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Super Mommy
I think you should speak the language of the country.
July 26th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think you should speak the language of the country, or at least learn it the best you can. I mean, if I moved to Mexico I would have to learn the language there, so why shouldn't people have to learn it when they move to America (or whatever country they are moving to). Also I agree that they should learn it for their own well being (being able to read street signs, tell a doctor what's wrong with them, etc.). Plus, it'll be great for them to be bilingual lol. It looks good on job applications.

Amanda

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search