Eye for an eye?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Eye for an eye?
Yes - it's fair 2 9.52%
No - it gets no where and creates more violence 11 52.38%
Neither 8 38.10%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2006, 03:22 PM
mrobinson
So throught the war, bullying and other threads I see it very apparent. It seems the nation has a very eye for an eye mentality.. so I thought I'd do a poll.
July 25th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm in the "do the least amount of physical harm as needed to control the situation." In most cases, this means NONE. In rare cases, it means utilizing techniques to control the situation without much violence (holds, etc)- these are learned in self defense classes, which I am a big supporter of! Will be having my kids go as well (I will be teaching one in the fall ). In extremely rare cases, it means all out violence agains the other person.

It takes education, of course, to learn the difference between situations.
July 25th, 2006, 04:07 PM
kadydid
Quote:
I'm in the "do the least amount of physical harm as needed to control the situation." In most cases, this means NONE. In rare cases, it means utilizing techniques to control the situation without much violence (holds, etc)- these are learned in self defense classes, which I am a big supporter of! Will be having my kids go as well (I will be teaching one in the fall ). In extremely rare cases, it means all out violence agains the other person.

It takes education, of course, to learn the difference between situations.[/b]
ITA
I have to say neither too. Hopefully none but in order to protect yourself enough not to be walked on. When it comes to major countries it's a fine line between protecting yourself and becoming morally and ethically bankrupt.
July 25th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When it comes to thinking of an "eye for an eye" between countries...I guess it's a whole new ball game. Prevention is the best way to go, but this is a huge task. It involves "treating others as you wish to be treated" which can mean engaging in only fair trade, limiting arms build up, having humane social policies in areas that deal with other countries (such as treatment of prisoners and refugees). It also involves involving your country in humanity aid and relying on bodies like the UN to be a ground for negociation.

When prevention fails, there's diplomacy...but every nation seems to have a different definition of when diplomacy is exhausted.

When diplomacy fails I guess it's on to violence, but that violence needs to be the least amount necessary to attain the goal (while also keeping in mind that short duration and limiting innocent deathsshould also be goals). I guess it becomes "an eye for an eye"...but it seems lately countries have been opting for "the whole body for an eye" mentality.
July 25th, 2006, 07:50 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Quote:
So throught the war, bullying and other threads I see it very apparent. It seems the nation has a very eye for an eye mentality.. so I thought I'd do a poll.[/b]
So I have an eye for an eye mentality because I think its okay to defend yourself? Really nice mrobinson. I appreciate your low thoughts of me
[/b]
Back the train up.. this wasn't intended to be a personal attack on you butter ball...
July 25th, 2006, 08:07 PM
mrobinson
When I'm on the debate boards, I just engage.. I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings hon.. I'm sorry if I did.. Your response about how lowly I think of you wasn't at all what I was trying to do. I've been on the debate boards since I started and I've seen that throughout the whole thing.. It used to be really apparent in the religious debates but those haven't been like that for awhile.

I know you're newer so I don't want to offend you.

I am truely sorry if I did. I think it's ok to disagree and engage.. That doesn't mean I think lowly of you at all. In fact I'm glad you can throw out an intelligent thing to say back.. You'll find lots of people just throw something out without defending it.

Hon they are just dumb debates.. They don't mean anything.
July 25th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I never thought "an eye for an eye" meant defending yourself. I thought it was more like someone beat up your sister so you beat them up (silly example I know).

Anyway, I don't think it works cause it starts a never ending cycle.
July 25th, 2006, 08:59 PM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had to vote neither because I really think it should be a case by case situation. There is a fine line, I will agree with that. And in some cases it could cause a horrible cycle. BUT, sometimes it could be effective. The whole war thing though.....well.....I dont know, I think that was taking it to the extreme a little. I mean, had we ran over there and solved the problem right away fine, but come on....its getting a little excessive now! LOL.

Butter Ball, dont take ANYTHING here personal!! Granted there are some people who can come at you in a personal manner, most here just like to debate their point and are passionate about it. Even if someone were to quote you and then attack your view, they still arent attacking you as a person. So.....unless someone actually puts your user name in a post and directs something at you, most posts are just general and go out to everyone. Chances are someone thought up a topic or got the idea from someone's post and started a new thread on it. I honestly cant see Michelle ever going after someone just for their opinion and making a whole thread about it. No matter how much we disagree on things, she is still one of the most respectful and open minded people here. ( .....No Michelle I'm not sucking up because you love your guns and dont like my stand on bullying!! LMAO) But really, dont let these things get to you and try not to take anything personally. Trust me I know how hard that is!!! hahaha

casey

July 25th, 2006, 09:08 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
I like that saying "An eye for an eye leaves everybody blind".

I happen to think eye for an eye is more about revenge, than building/solving anything intelligently. JMO.
July 26th, 2006, 11:19 AM
** Mandy **
Ideally an eye for an eye would be great but I don't think it is realistic. I really have a hard time believing that our justice system is always fair and balanced as well so I wouldn't want this left up to them. Scary!

July 26th, 2006, 01:19 PM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I like that saying "An eye for an eye leaves everybody blind".

I happen to think eye for an eye is more about revenge, than building/solving anything intelligently. JMO.[/b]

Well said! I agree.

Also, I hate to be all religious on you all, but this saying is in the Bible a lot and it was actually associated with the law of moses. Since Christ came that law was done away with and the new law is to love one another and turn the other cheek. So since I'm religious and believe in the Bible I believe these principles and believe that if someone hurts you, you should be the bigger person and not hurt them back. After all, hate breads hate and love breads love. If you show hate to someone who hates it will just bring more hate. However, if you show love to someone who hates the hating goes down tremendously and often goes away.
July 27th, 2006, 12:32 PM
mrobinson
bump

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search