Medical profession and miscarriages..

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2006, 07:59 AM
mrobinson
Ladies, I'm really upset at how many women have miscarriages and the emergency &/or hospital don't give them proper care.. I started a thread in the news about it and the responses scare the crap out of me. So because that's the news area and this is the debate area, I wanted to know your thoughts about it.. Do you think the hospitals care about a woman who is miscarrying?
July 26th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Triage knows no emotions

I don't know how to change this unless we begin to educate our doctors on emotions and fix our health insurance problems so that emergency rooms are not a large percentage of the populations' doctors' offices.
July 26th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I know I would be biased because of my experience but still, because "nothing can be done to stop a miscarriage" they think they can just sit back and let you suffer. With this pregnancy at around 7 weeks I went in to the ER with overwhelming pain, I could not even walk. The first thing the emergency room Dr said is "theres nothing we can do if you are having one you know that right" No DUH I just want to know if my baby is ok or not. Thank god he/she is but I just feel they need to have more bedside manor, maybe Im just a worried pregnant woman because of my last m/c but still, its your job to give me appropriate medical care. I just wish they were more empathetic.

July 26th, 2006, 08:47 AM
mrobinson
Why can't they do more? That just makes me so angry..
July 26th, 2006, 01:32 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I have had a few earily M/C and two later M/C at 16-18 weeks and 21 weeks in my case the Dr's that I was under did everything they could I am still happy about the care I recived[/b]
What did that include? I just ask because I would like to have a bar or standard in my head about it.
July 26th, 2006, 02:42 PM
friskycat01's Avatar Super Mommy
No. I had one almost 2 months ago. They basicly handed me some pads and said "the bleeding should stop in a week" and sent me on my way. I was sitting in in the waiting room for more than an hour waiting for them to get to me. I was bleeding all over. I'm glad I left a huge blood stain on one of the waiting room chairs. I bet whoever had to clean that up was not happy.
July 26th, 2006, 04:52 PM
chlodoll
I have never had a miscarriage but I did have some bleeding/crmaping problems in the first trimester. When I went to the ER I was always in a room as soon as I went through triage. Now how long it took the doctor to finally come around is different but they always took me in right away. I am sorry some of you ladies have had horrible experiences I cant understand how anyone could do that to a woman
July 26th, 2006, 05:53 PM
chlodoll
thats why i like after 20 weeks you can goto L&D. they are much more helpful!
July 26th, 2006, 07:45 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a miscarriage a little over 2 weeks ago, I guess I'm lucky when I saw my doctor & his staff were very supportive, kind, caring and I feel like they went out of their way to comfort me and help me understand different things about what I was going through. I didn't deal with the ER, just my regular ob/gyn. I wish everyone had a doctor like mine.
July 26th, 2006, 08:33 PM
mrobinson
I respect this isn't an easy subject to speak about so I understand if I don't get a response.. I was wondering, those who had good experiences ~ what was it that helped? Empathic staff? Instant service? Seperate room? I'm just wondering.
July 26th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it depends on the doctor or nursing staff. Some are better at caring than others.
July 27th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had a m/c around this time last year, I got 2 deffinate positive HPT. I started cramping and bleeding, and I went to my PCP's weekend office hours. They had me pee in a cup, but the lab wasn't open to do the pregnancy test :urg: They took my blood for an HCG, and come back in a few days to do it again. When I went back I was still cramping and bleeding fairly badly. And all the doctor said was, "well according to the blood work you never were pregnant". I was almost 3 weeks late for my period, and 2 for sure positive tests.

As soon as I took, and saw th positive test; I called the OB office that my mom used to work at and explained I was scared to death of m/c again, and just wantd to be at least seen, even if it is still early. They took me in that Wensday. Everything was fine the entire pregnancy, and their staff has amazing bedside manor. There is only a few times I was upset with them. I did got to the ER early in pregnancy, the only thing that upset me was, when they did the u/s the tech "couldn't tell me anything". If I didn't have some idea on reading u/s, I would have paniced and threw a hissy fit. But I saw her HB, and her moving so I was content, but we had to wait almost 3 hours for the radiologist to "read" the ultrasound. :/ There was a point in my pregnancy, were because of my uterus position they couldn't hear her heartbeat with the doopler, and they'd sent me for an ultrasound, it'd throw me and DH into an instant panic, but the doctors and staff were very reassuring in their words.

But because of my past experience at the PCP - they have been "fired". And I was considering using them for my kids, but not anymore. DH loves them though.
July 27th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know that there isnt necessarily anything medical that can be done before a certain time, however where is the compassion with these Dr's and nurses? They could at least have some sort of counseling available...

Even with this pregnancy, after my cerclage I freaked out about every little twinge or cramp, I would call my doctor and I always got the 'well there's nothing we can do' speech, or the 'its considered a m/c until week 24' or some crap.... it annoys me that these nurses deal with high-risk patients and can just talk like that. Telling a woman that her baby isnt really a baby.... frankly, I think they could be a bit more empathetic.

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
July 27th, 2006, 12:43 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know some doctors who have worked ER before. Basically they are swamped. You have a guy laying somewhere having a heartattack and a woman who is 4 weeks pregnant bleeding. The man with the heartattack needs top priority, thats all. Most early misscarraiges are actually chemical pregnancies and there isn't anything that can be done about that. Every day the ER sees a ton of people for all various reasons. If there isn't anything that can be done they can't really waste too much time on it, you know? There could be someone down the hall dying.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
July 27th, 2006, 12:48 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I know some doctors who have worked ER before. Basically they are swamped. You have a guy laying somewhere having a heartattack and a woman who is 4 weeks pregnant bleeding. The man with the heartattack needs top priority, thats all. Most early misscarraiges are actually chemical pregnancies and there isn't anything that can be done about that. Every day the ER sees a ton of people for all various reasons. If there isn't anything that can be done they can't really waste too much time on it, you know? There could be someone down the hall dying.[/b]
I know what you're trying to say but I would imagine to a women miscarrying, their thoughts are ~ yep there is someone dying here too.
July 27th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I know some doctors who have worked ER before. Basically they are swamped. You have a guy laying somewhere having a heartattack and a woman who is 4 weeks pregnant bleeding. The man with the heartattack needs top priority, thats all. Most early misscarraiges are actually chemical pregnancies and there isn't anything that can be done about that. Every day the ER sees a ton of people for all various reasons. If there isn't anything that can be done they can't really waste too much time on it, you know? There could be someone down the hall dying.[/b]

While I agree with everything you just said (my dad is charge nurse at our ER), I think the professionals could think of a more tactful way to approach these women. In nursing school we are taught to think of the patient as a person, not just a 'case'... ER staff should not be exempt from this.

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search