CS & VBAC's

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2006, 10:49 AM
katy1967
Hi ladies, I need to hear other opinions on this. I go to a group of Dr's and my 1st pg apt was w/the one I cant STAND at all. He is an alarmist, the glass is half empty type of Dr. I have 2 children. DD1 is 15 yrs old and DD2 is 1. DD1 was born vaginally after 14 hours of labor. DD2 was a scheduled C-section because she was breech. When pulling her out one Dr had to come push on her head as it was stuck in my rib cage area. I guess thats why she never turned? I also had low amniotic fluid, not dangerously low but a bit low, so maybe that hindered her turning too? And I tried everything to get her to turn as I didnt want a CS. swimming, mugwort burned by your little toe, excercises to help them turn, etc. I did not bother with the massage turning thing they try as I was told it either doesnt work at all or they turn back before you go into labor. So a CS it was.
I am now pg with D?3 When I sat down with Dr Panicky I said well since DD1 was natural and DD2 was a CS only cause she was breech D?3 can be natural right? He said "well heres the thing. Years ago it was always once a CS always a CS. Then all the Dr's realized this was crazy we are doing way too many surgeries here so we started doing VBAC and it was ok, women were able to deliver vaginally w/out any complications. BUT then about 3 years ago a huge study was realeased and it said both sides are right. The once a CS always a CS is right and the VBAC is right. The thing is some women were having their uterus's erupt and it can be life threatening to both mother and child." I was devastated to say the least. Going through another CS is NOT what I was expecting at all. He said what do you think your DH would say if he was sitting here? I would tell him there is a risk of your uterus erupting and he would ask what would happen if that happened? And I have to tell him there is a risk that both your wife and child would die right then and there. What do you think he would say to that if he was sitting here right now? He would say lets set up the date for the CS right now then as he wouldnt want to put your life and the babies life in danger.
ARGH I hate this Dr. So if any of you have gone through something like this what did your Dr's say? I see the Dr I love at my next apt. he did the CS and is just a much nicer Dr than this one. Even if its what he would suggest I dont think he would word it the same way.
Another thing I have to consider is that I conceived D?3 when DD2 was only 11 months old. So I am sure it doesnt help that I didnt wait 2 years between babies. I would imagine that the shorter period of time is more dangerous for me because the incision may not be as healed as they would like?
I dont think this is a debate, although I imagine it could turn into one, but wasnt sure where to post it. I would really like to hear what your Dr's have suggested to you ladies and why.
Sincerely,
Katy
July 26th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My doctor told me when I went in for my 6 week PP checkup that I could try for a VBAC next time if I wanted. She said nothing indicated a physical reason why I couldn't have a vaginal birth. Just because something happened with this birth (my son's head was cocked they think) that prevented a vaginal delivery. I'm not sure what I'll do if I get preggo again. I'll probably opt for the scheduled section. I did NOT enjoy labor at all.

July 26th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a girlfriend who's first son was a c-section. Her second child (a girl), born 1.5 years later was a VBAC, and everything went fine. Her third child was another boy born 1 year after the girl, and was supposed to be another VBAC, but after many hours of painful labor the doctor recommended another c-section. My best advice is to go with whatever you and DH are most comfortable with - find a doc that supports your decision, but be prepared that things may not work out the way you plan too! Good luck
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
July 26th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've always heard that the 'once a C always a C' statement was bull.... I know most docs in my area will do VBAC, but there are some old-school types who will just refuse.

My advice is to call around your area and find one who will. The ONLY way the statement would apply, assuming everything else was prefect, is if you had a 'classic' c-section, which is what I had. Basically, instead of cutting the uterus in just a straight lower-transverse line, they cut in a T or X shape. Then you are 'once a C always a C.'

Just make some calls.... look in a local magazine or something or just ask around your hometown -you'll find what you need in no time!

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
July 26th, 2006, 03:14 PM
katy1967
Thanks ladies. I called the office today, to ask about my hcg levels at 5 weeks, and got one of the other Dr's. I told her what Dr Doom had to say and she said yes the trend now is to go back to the once a C always a C way. She said the percentage of a ruptured uterus is 1% so although small it is something they have to warn people about. I will talk to the Dr I like the most more on the 17th when my next apt is. Had I been doing this 3 yrs ago none of this would be discussed right now. sigh.
Thanks to all of you for your input.
Katy
July 26th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Super Mommy
Ew. I'm horrified by this doctor playing off of your husbands fears to force you into a c/s....that is pathetic.

I say do what YOU want to do. So many women are having VBACs and they do so successfully. Just do your research and properly prepare yourself for whatever scenario. Best of luck
July 26th, 2006, 06:02 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
you should come over to the natural childbirth board I just posted some link on this earlier today.
link is in my sig
July 27th, 2006, 12:59 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
I know a lot of docs don't like to do VBACs b/c of insurance, and the risk of malpractice. I really wish more would do them, as I'm sure you know, c-sections are complicated surgeries!
July 27th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I know a lot of docs don't like to do VBACs b/c of insurance, and the risk of malpractice. I really wish more would do them, as I'm sure you know, c-sections are complicated surgeries![/b]

I can understand that fear, on the part of the docs... maybe if you go VBAC you should sign a waiver or something.. Yea, that would fly

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
July 27th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a section with DD, vaginal for DS1 and another section with DS2. When I started seeing my new OB/GYN at the beginning of the year and were talking to him about TTC, he said that no if's and's or but's I would have a c-section this time. So before I had my m/c I asked in the c-section board how do I try to get him to let me go vaginally. They gave me some great advice and I am giving you the link. Basically they said no one can just cut you open against your will.

C-section question

They gave me a bunch of links that are on there so I figured I would share with you. I hope this helps!

July 27th, 2006, 08:19 PM
CJMOM209
I have personally not experienced this, however my aunt had a VBAC with her DD after having a CS with her DS. She didn't have any complications with the VBAC.
July 29th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
DD was born by c/s and DS was born VBAC without complications. If that is your intent I would find a supportive Dr.

July 29th, 2006, 10:15 PM
4wildflowers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor is very supportive of VBACs, however our hospital doesn't allow VBAC's, unless your doctor is with you the entire labor and delivery. So basically, none of the private doctors here can do the VBACs. Only those women who see numerous doctors at our local pregnancy center can have one, b/c they have a doctor on call 24/7.

My kids.....
Jake 13
Shane 9
Brynne 6
Claire 4

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search