Andrea Yates found not guilty by reason of insanity

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2006, 11:02 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
http://wfrv.com/topstories/topstorie...207122137.html
July 26th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OK that just makes me sick. It just warrants other mothers to try and use that excuse for causing harm or killing their children.

July 26th, 2006, 11:10 AM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow

July 26th, 2006, 11:11 AM
mrobinson
After three days of deliberations, Andrea Yates has been found innocent by reason of insanity in her children's bathtub drowning deaths, and will be committed to a Texas mental hospital.

Yates will be committed to a state mental hospital, with periodic hearings before a judge to determine whether she should be released. If convicted, she would have faced life in prison.

Yates' attorneys never disputed that she drowned 6-month-old Mary, 2-year-old Luke, 3-year-old Paul, 5-year-old John and 7-year-old Noah in their Houston-area home in June 2001. But they said she suffered from severe postpartum psychosis and, in a delusional state, thought Satan was inside her and was trying to save them from hell.

Quote:
OK that just makes me sick. It just warrants other mothers to try and use that excuse for causing harm or killing their children.[/b]
Hon I disagree. It's the nature of postpartum psychosis that made her do that.. She isn't a threat to the public. She is/was sick.
July 26th, 2006, 11:17 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree she was suffering from PPP. I however don't care. She killed those kids and does not deserve the chance to be free!

Quote:
If Yates is found innocent by reason of insanity, she will be committed to a state mental hospital, with periodic hearings before a judge to determine whether she should be released, although by law, jurors are not allowed to be told that.[/b]

And this makes me so heated!!!
How could they not tell the jurors this. It would have played a major factor in my decision. If I knew she was going to a mental hospital for life with 0 chance of freedom I would have no problems with that. SO in 10 years they decide she is "sane" and she gets to go free and what have more kids and possibly kill them?
July 26th, 2006, 11:29 AM
BabyJsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i was very appalled at what she did. and at the fact that she can go to walmart at this new place! I was watching court tv, and she said she can freely do whatever she wants, she's no longer considered a prisoner, just a patient. And that makes me so sick. And her ex-husband was smiling in the court room after the verdict. She took his babies from him and he was smiling?! I know that the sicknesses with post partum are real, I still get down from time to time and i think it's just related to the post partum, but I look at my sweet little baby sleeping, and I think that no matter how sick I was, I could never EVER in a million years even THINK of killing him. It just makes me so so sad to know that those poor little babies will never have a chance to grow up...their mommy took that from them. And like was said, she could go have more children when she gets out? I think part of her punishment should be a complete hysterectomy. that woman doesn't deserve babies. There are people in this world (and on this board) that would do anything and they spend tons of money trying to get their own children, and she had five, and they were beautiful. and now they're angels in heaven...while some people may never get to experience parenthood. it just makes me so so sad.

Forever Missing our Angel Baby- Due December 28th, 2005, left us on May 30, 2005 after 8 weeks of joy.
July 26th, 2006, 11:45 AM
irishxrose
I knew she would be. She is very sick... I kinda feel sorry for her. Her illness took over her life, and then she ended the lives of her kids because of it. It's not an excuse, though I know some of you may think that. She has a disease and it is a tragedy that she killed her children because of it. But she needs help; not to be sent to a prison for the rest of her life, where she will most likely be killed because of what she did. She needs help, therapy, medication, etc.
July 26th, 2006, 11:51 AM
** Mandy **
Quote:
And this makes me so heated!!!
How could they not tell the jurors this. It would have played a major factor in my decision. If I knew she was going to a mental hospital for life with 0 chance of freedom I would have no problems with that. SO in 10 years they decide she is "sane" and she gets to go free and what have more kids and possibly kill them?[/b]
I agree. It is hard for me to accept a verdict of innocent even though she is/was sick. Obviously she didn't stop having kids when she knew she had a history of mental illness so if she gets out it scares me that she will go though the cycle again.

July 26th, 2006, 12:03 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Obviously she didn't stop having kids when she knew she had a history of mental illness so if she gets out it scares me that she will go though the cycle again.[/b]
This makes me mad because HE knew as well. HE was not supportive of HER illness in the past.

That support could have been the difference of whether or not those kids would be here.
July 26th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
She belongs in a mental instiution and I hope that she will remain there until she can no longer have children...sounds horrible to say, but unless they can keep her from having more kids in some other way...
July 26th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
After three days of deliberations, Andrea Yates has been found innocent by reason of insanity in her children's bathtub drowning deaths, and will be committed to a Texas mental hospital.

Yates will be committed to a state mental hospital, with periodic hearings before a judge to determine whether she should be released. If convicted, she would have faced life in prison.

Yates' attorneys never disputed that she drowned 6-month-old Mary, 2-year-old Luke, 3-year-old Paul, 5-year-old John and 7-year-old Noah in their Houston-area home in June 2001. But they said she suffered from severe postpartum psychosis and, in a delusional state, thought Satan was inside her and was trying to save them from hell.

Quote:
OK that just makes me sick. It just warrants other mothers to try and use that excuse for causing harm or killing their children.[/b]
Hon I disagree. It's the nature of postpartum psychosis that made her do that.. She isn't a threat to the public. She is/was sick.
[/b]

Quote:
I knew she would be. She is very sick... I kinda feel sorry for her. Her illness took over her life, and then she ended the lives of her kids because of it. It's not an excuse, though I know some of you may think that. She has a disease and it is a tragedy that she killed her children because of it. But she needs help; not to be sent to a prison for the rest of her life, where she will most likely be killed because of what she did. She needs help, therapy, medication, etc.[/b]

SHE IS CRAZY! Im sorry but no sane person could drown all their children. So do you all think its ok to put all the mentally ill people in prison? How can you put someone in prison that had no control over their actions? I dont think she should be running around free, but for *od's sakes people she is sick! Dont you think she lives everyday with the guilt of doing that? The way she is punishing herself is far worse than anyone one else could ever punish her. Im so sick of people having no sympothy or empathy.
No wonder society is the way it is. Mothers are so hard on other mothers...And for the record, what she did makes me sick inside, but I stand by my beleif that no sane mother could do that to her children.

July 26th, 2006, 12:26 PM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Obviously she didn't stop having kids when she knew she had a history of mental illness so if she gets out it scares me that she will go though the cycle again.[/b]
This makes me mad because HE knew as well. HE was not supportive of HER illness in the past.

That support could have been the difference of whether or not those kids would be here.
[/b]

I dont know how much of anything about this I agree or disagree with. But, I do agree with Michelle about this point. Who knows if her husband would have been supportive if she would have gone that far. I mean, if he would have been supportive of her, maybe none of this would have ever happened. Sure he is supportive of her now.....now that his kids are dead and he divorced her and married another woman. But who's to say he didnt contribute to those kids' deaths as much as she did? He makes me sick

casey

July 26th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Im glad they overturned her conviction. I am horrified with what she did but having a father with paranoid schizophrenia, I can understand how hard it is struggling with mental illness, its not easy to get help when you are so sick and you dont really believe you have a problem. A lot of people don't understand mental illnesses its alot more complex and less black and white. I feel for her children, I know they were robbed of a life but this is not only their mothers fault. Society looks down own mothers who have PPD, many woman go undiagnosed because they feel ashamed, after all they are woman right? they should be able to handle things, no excuses. I could go on and on.. but I should stop ranting here, either way I hope she gets the counselling she needs and the proper treatment and support.

July 26th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Along with her husband, Michael Woroniecki, her fundamentalist peacher she followed who, as considerable evidence points to, was feeding this whole thing (I have read that he even went as far as to say you should committ suicide if you can't raise your kids in Jesus- and she's not the only one of his followers to have attempted suicide for these reasons). Look up this guy, it makes me sick...
July 26th, 2006, 12:33 PM
** Mandy **
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
SO TRUE!!!!

July 26th, 2006, 12:35 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Along with her husband, Michael Woroniecki, her fundamentalist peacher she followed who, as considerable evidence points to, was feeding this whole thing (I have read that he even went as far as to say you should committ suicide if you can't raise your kids in Jesus- and she's not the only one of his followers to have attempted suicide for these reasons). Look up this guy, it makes me sick...[/b]
Thank you for finding the words to say what I can't.. This issue is way too personal.. I shouldn't be on this one.

July 26th, 2006, 01:11 PM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I think part of her punishment should be a complete hysterectomy. that woman doesn't deserve babies. There are people in this world (and on this board) that would do anything and they spend tons of money trying to get their own children, and she had five, and they were beautiful. and now they're angels in heaven...while some people may never get to experience parenthood. it just makes me so so sad.[/b]
Good thinking! I agree! That would be a good punishment.

This topic is very hard. I agree that it was a horrible, horrible thing that she did, but I believe that PPP is real and I bet she is stricken with guilt because of her actions. I don't know what the appropriate punishment should be. On the one hand she murdered her own children... one after the other. Was it planned out and then executed? Did she really know what she was doing even though she was depressed? On the other hand she was acting in a time when she wasn't all there. She was sick. I don't know. What a sad, sad, story!
July 26th, 2006, 01:13 PM
LilMama0107
I don't know....I certainly don't think she should live a life of freedom ever. I know she was mentally ill, but child molester's are mentally ill and no one takes pity on them. Rapists & Killers are most often mentally ill and no one wants to hand a second chance to them....I guess I'm just more of an eye for an eye kind of person. I feel sorry for her, but I think she should be spending the remainder of her life in jail.
July 26th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I knew she would be. She is very sick... I kinda feel sorry for her. Her illness took over her life, and then she ended the lives of her kids because of it. It's not an excuse, though I know some of you may think that. She has a disease and it is a tragedy that she killed her children because of it. But she needs help; not to be sent to a prison for the rest of her life, where she will most likely be killed because of what she did. She needs help, therapy, medication, etc.[/b]

ITA!

Seriously, do some reading on Andrea Yates. See how time after time after time she would have herself committed, only to be released after 2 weeks or so when the insurance stopped covering her stay. See how much sicker she got with each child, and how the church she belonged to bombarded her with notions of her children going to hell - I believe she even recieved a pamphlet depicting children DROWNING and being freed from sin..

This woman needed and saught help and the system failed her time and time again. Andrea Yates should have never been released from these institutions so soon. And it wasnt just PPD she suffered from.... Andrea Yates is a schizophrenic as well - the PPD, which grew increasingly worse after each child born, aggravated her psychosis.

Be as mad as you want to be about Andrea Yates.... but its undeniable that more could have been done for this woman which would have saved her kids in the end.. Even Rusty Yates, her husband, has been saying that all along.

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search