Breastfeeding on Magazine cover

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What are your thoughts on depicting a breastfeeding child on a parenting magazine cover?

Inspired by this picture:
picture

and this article:
article
July 27th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Super Mommy
I'm so tired of people freaking out over breastfeeding. That one comment about how a breast is a breast..it's sexual...or w/e.... WE HAVE BOOBS TO FEED BABIES MORON!!!

Some ppl just need to get OVER it. If you feel uncomfortable because I'm FEEDING my child that is YOUR problem.

I usually just snicker as I see posts about this type of stuff...but it's really actually starting to get to me!!!! I'm sooooooo tired of society and their close-mindedness on breastfeeding and how "dirty" it is.

Makes me (ALMOST) want to applaud those women who give a nipple shot here and there just to make others mad. LOL!!
July 27th, 2006, 05:28 PM
duality's Avatar Miss Mama
It's beautiful. Breastfeeding is the most natural thing a woman could do (as well as giving birth) and it's too bad that having a picture of it on a cover of a magazine is controversial.

July 27th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
"Gross, I am sick of seeing a baby attached to a boob," wrote Lauren, a mother of a 4-month-old.[/b]
July 27th, 2006, 06:30 PM
chlodoll
I think that picture is adorable Babies always look so sweet at the boob!
July 27th, 2006, 08:24 PM
CBMS
I just responded to this in the breastfeeding forum, so I'll just quote myself from there...

Quote:
I was SO happy when I got that magazine in the mail last week! I read the article and immediately submitted my response and my kudos!

This crap makes me angry.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
"I shredded it," said Gayle Ash, of Belton, Texas, in a telephone interview. "A breast is a breast _ it's a sexual thing. He didn't need to see that."[/b]
Give me a friggin' BREAK! They are only sexual because men have sexualized them! They are MADE for feeding babies. Why the hell else would they miraculously begin to produce milk after a baby is grown and delivered from our bodies?

It's like I said in another post the other day... my ears and neck are very sexual for my husband and me... so I guess I have to wear turtlenecks and earmuffs year round...

. . .

. . .I would not feed my child in the john, no matter how much money someone offered me. The toilet is the toilet-no matter how 'pretty' they try to make it. When it's flushed, all the fecal matter and urine is in the splashing, swirling water, being spread all over the bathroom. EW! When I see McDonald's, Burger King, Olive Garden, etc.. turned into two giant bathrooms instead of dining rooms, then and only then would I feed my baby in a bathroom--and even as I type this I think... no, then I'd stop eating at restaurants. EW. That's just the way I feel about it. The bathroom is so dirty that employees are supposed to use previously advanced paper towels to get their paper towels and turn off the water and open the door--so they don't touch it. And I want my baby to consume her food in there? Uh, no.

. . . if feeding is between a mother and child, then there should be no bottle feeding in public either. We [as a collective whole--MOTHERS] either have the right to feed our babies or not. Not, 'well, you can, but you can't, and you can, but you can't.' What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If they can, so can I.

If anyone challenges my right to give my baby food, they better have an excellent attorney on retainer, because they'll need one!!
[/b][/quote]
July 27th, 2006, 08:50 PM
chlodoll
July 27th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got my issue of BabyTalk and saw the cover but didn't think anything of it. Breastfeeding is a 100% natural thing and if people have an issue with the cover, they do not need to look at it IMO.

July 27th, 2006, 08:55 PM
chlodoll

July 27th, 2006, 08:56 PM
CBMS
Quote:
[/b]

Quote:

[/b]
Now those are NAAAAAAAAAASTAAAAAY! And *we're* indecent for feeding our babies? Go figure...
July 27th, 2006, 08:57 PM
chlodoll

BUT ALL THESE ARE OK TO BE IN PLAIN SIGHT OF EVERYONE!!

even womens mags

July 28th, 2006, 10:56 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
chlodoll.
July 28th, 2006, 12:39 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just wrote a letter to the editor praising their cover. I can't believe that people (mothers, no less!!!) are offended by that!

July 28th, 2006, 03:22 PM
kadydid
I think that is an adorable pic! It is natural!!
July 29th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Brandy81
SO? I am neither for nor against public breastefeeding. But the breast is sexual to men. SORRY....but it is! The are pigs..we know it to be the truth. There are a few out there that are good....but in general they are. It dosen't matter what form they see it in...it is sexual. BUT....this was not a mens magizine...it was a womens magizine! Made for women with babies! So the outrage over the cover I think was and is stupid and idiotic. It didn't offend me and I didn't even breastfeed.
July 29th, 2006, 07:25 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
but is it our issue that some men are pigs or their's? Should I not feed my baby cause some guy walking by may or may not be a pig?
July 29th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Phoenix Rising's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love that magazine cover! GO NURSING MOMMAS!

This whole deal with breastfeeding being a no-no in public really stems back to the victorian era when women of "gentle birth" didn't breast feed their children and hired wet nurses. In fact, many mothers sent them out to live in another persons home to be fed and thus avoided "getting too attached" in the infant stages in case the child died as was very common in those days. Heck, in France 100 years before that women went around with their nipples exposed all the time as part of the fashion of the times.

I dont need my daughters seeing women being flaunted as se*ual objects and if I should ever have sons I dont want THEM viewing women as a se*ual object. I want to see women with their breasts hanging out all over the darned place feeding their children and have it be freaking NORMAL rather than the crap that they call advertising.

Ah yes, we North Americans are so outraged about breastfeeding in public where in every other country its a totally normal thing to do. Our priorities are totally screwed up.
July 29th, 2006, 03:59 PM
CBMS
And, as an example that they have been made to be sexual by people...

Take a look at EVERY other mammal. Now, I've never ever seen or even heard of a big bull reaching down and playing with the cow's utters while they procreate. Neither have I seen a tom cat do it, or a dog, a goat, an elephant, or heck... let's go with the gorillas and chimps--I mean, afterall, "we're so closely related to them." I've never heard of a big dominant male gorilla or chimp suckling or biting the nipples of his female. People sexualized them--nature intended them to be a food source for our children.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search