Sheehan buys land next to Bush- with insurance money

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
so Cindy Sheehan has bought the ranch next to George Bush's ranch in Crawford Texas with the intent of continuing her protests. Sheehan had been protesting in ditches outside of the home and on the road next to the land but Crawford passed an ordinance saying you cannot camp out along side the road. so when the land came up for sale she bought it.....

so its legal, but the way sheehan did it has angered some people. first she bought the land with insurance money from her sons death. of course it's hers to do what she pleases and she just might build a house there... however she did not outright buy the land, in fact she lied to get it. She had a friend take the money and ask to buy the land. The family selling it was screening buyers, because they did not want to sell the land next to George's personal family home to someone meaning to cause trouble. This is the first thing people are a little perturbed about... however she also coached the man to say that he was a Katrina victim and just looking to start his life over somewhere else, away from the pain of his old memories. So then when the couple finds out they were lied to and swindled, they're pretty mad

what do you guys think. it's legal what she did, but i find it pretty unethical. it goes against my own moral code and it just seems wrong.

July 28th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sure lying is wrong and misleading people is deceitful...but this is aq mother on a mission. She is mourning her son and I think is driven beyond reason to make her voice heard.....if I felt my child died for a cause shrouded in deceit and untruth, I can't say that I would not tell a couple of lies and mislead a few folks to get my voive and my child's memory recognized....

Don't want to start a anti- Bush /war debate but when your kid signs up for the army you figure ying in combat can happen...but to have your child killed in a war that is based on bs logic and "intelligence"...well I can see how Sheehan is so irate....

July 28th, 2006, 07:35 AM
so you think it's proper to lie to people, use your sons insurance money and on top of that use the disaster of katrina victims to further your cause? i think thats just crossing the line.

July 28th, 2006, 07:53 AM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, using the insurance money I dont have a problem with. I mean, its hers, and she is putting it to a use that she sees as being good because it will give her a more legal way to protest and also do the work that she feels the need to do. And giving the money to someone else to get the land.....well.........if she knew they wouldnt sell to her then why not let someone else buy it with her money. I also dont have a big big problem with that. BUT, having the man say he was a Katrina victim. That is crossing the line to me! I mean, it would be one thing for him to just take the money and say "I wanna buy the property" and it a completely different and dispicable thing for him to go crying about a horrible tragedy that he wasnt even a part of!! That is the thing that makes me mad. I think she was actually pretty smart to be able to get her hands on that land, and if she would have left Kartina out of it I would probably giggle that she just pulled one over on Ol' Bush and his neighbors. BUT, the Katrina thing pissed me off so I am saying it was a pretty unethical purchase.

Casey

July 28th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
dispicable thing for him to go crying about a horrible tragedy that he wasnt even a part of!! That is the thing that makes me mad.[/b]

I do agree with that. Using Katrina was over the top, but aside from that, hey....

July 28th, 2006, 08:32 AM
i agree in some ways, but the neighbors that sold the land are pretty upset and on top of that whether or not you agree with bush, dont you think he has a right to have a place like his wife's family land to be somewhat still private- i mean they go there for holidays and it irks me that this lady had to go around and sneakily buy this land under false pretenses and will protest during family holidays- dont' his daughters and wife and so on deserve at least that? i mean thats what the neighbors were trying to stop. and its just seems pretty crappy to me.

July 28th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I can understand her fustration, and wanting to protest. I don't agree with the friend saying he was a Katrina victim. I'd be extremely upset, if I was a Katrina victim. The land is her's, so I guess she can do whatever she wants on it. I just hope that she doesn't disrupt the lifestyle of the neighbors to badly.

Also, as somebody else stated, when you join the military you know you could be sent overseas, and that war could happen at any point in time. A friend of mine is in Iraq, and even though its scary as hell, he enjoys knowning that he's helping the people in Iraq, to have more freedoms and not live in fear.
July 28th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Buying the land with insurance money: It's okay. She is protesting in memory of her son.

Having someone else buy it for her: Not too sneaky! She is just protesting right? Not harassing? She should be able to buy the land if she wants.

Saying he was a Katrina Victim: Pretty sick, taking advantage of someone elses tragedy.
July 31st, 2006, 07:35 AM
i agree and i can't believe people aren't all over this story and how she's exploited the disaster and tragedy of others to seek her own narrow minded gain- it just really bothers me that she lied in that manner and nobody is talking about it!

July 31st, 2006, 08:52 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
She definitely lacks ethics. She kind of messes up her own cause when she does stuff like that because people write her off as completely untrustworthy.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 31st, 2006, 08:58 AM
mrobinson
<div class=\'quotetop\'>QUOTE(lashlock @ Jul 28 2006, 07:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class=\'quotemain\'>so Cindy Sheehan has bought the ranch next to George Bush\'s ranch in Crawford Texas with the intent of continuing her protests. Sheehan had been protesting in ditches outside of the home and on the road next to the land but Crawford passed an ordinance saying you cannot camp out along side the road. so when the land came up for sale she bought it.....

so its legal, but the way sheehan did it has angered some people. first she bought the land with insurance money from her sons death. of course it\'s hers to do what she pleases and she just might build a house there... however she did not outright buy the land, in fact she lied to get it. She had a friend take the money and ask to buy the land. The family selling it was screening buyers, because they did not want to sell the land next to George\'s personal family home to someone meaning to cause trouble. This is the first thing people are a little perturbed about... however she also coached the man to say that he was a Katrina victim and just looking to start his life over somewhere else, away from the pain of his old memories. So then when the couple finds out they were lied to and swindled, they\'re pretty mad

what do you guys think. it\'s legal what she did, but i find it pretty unethical. it goes against my own moral code and it just seems wrong.[/b][/quote]

I think what's wrong is that this poor soul is living a life that clutches to death, pain, misery and frustration.. It's not going to help her heal.

Quote:
Saying he was a Katrina Victim: Pretty sick, taking advantage of someone elses tragedy.[/b]
Are we sure she did this?
July 31st, 2006, 09:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
She really ticks me off. Too bad the sellers didn't screen their buyers a little bit better--I wouldn't want to sell my land to a nut like her either and I would be extremely ticked off too. She is obviously completely immoral and will do anything to disrupt the President's life. Her son, an adult, volunteered to serve in the military. The job of the military is not to march around their bases in their uniforms, looking dashing. Their job is to go into harm's way, to kill people and break things, especially when there is a threat to America and American security, and the security of our allies. I think the death of a soldier is a great tragedy, but it shouldn't be used to further someone's political agenda, even his own mother. Most people don't want to say anything bad about her because she's "bereaved" but I think she's really gone off the deep end. And clinging to this hatred of the President is detrimental to her healing, and mentioned above.

July 31st, 2006, 09:27 AM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Using the katrina bit was wrong, but other than that, I have no problem with it at all. If they wouldn't have prohibited her from excercising her rights of free speech, right to protest and assemble peacefully - then she wouldn't have ever had the desire to buy the land.

GW needs to quit running and hiding from the truth - now he can be faced with it, everytime he runs away from washington to go home.

Quote:
She really ticks me off. Too bad the sellers didn't screen their buyers a little bit better--I wouldn't want to sell my land to a nut like her either and I would be extremely ticked off too. She is obviously completely immoral and will do anything to disrupt the President's life. Her son, an adult, volunteered to serve in the military. The job of the military is not to march around their bases in their uniforms, looking dashing. Their job is to go into harm's way, to kill people and break things, especially when there is a threat to America and American security, and the security of our allies. I think the death of a soldier is a great tragedy, but it shouldn't be used to further someone's political agenda, even his own mother. Most people don't want to say anything bad about her because she's "bereaved" but I think she's really gone off the deep end. And clinging to this hatred of the President is detrimental to her healing, and mentioned above.[/b]
Iraq wasn't a threat to the US. Osama was, but according to our dear president - he doesn't spend much time thinking about him.

And of course it's our soldiers duties to follow orders, regardless of whether the decision makers are right or wrong - or lied to get them their. But it's our right to protest against the government for wrongs they have committed. In this case, the lies they told to get our soldiers into Iraq, and now the subsequent deaths of our soldiers, and over 100 iraqi's/day in what has turned in to an all out civil war.

So, if Cindy owns the land, it's her right to do what she wants with it - regardless of what neighbors say. There are fair housing laws, I should note, that protect people from being discriminated against. But surely if Cindy would have bid directly on that land, she would have been discriminated against and not allowed to buy it.
July 31st, 2006, 09:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Using the katrina bit was wrong, but other than that, I have no problem with it at all. If they wouldn't have prohibited her from excercising her rights of free speech, right to protest and assemble peacefully - then she wouldn't have ever had the desire to buy the land.

GW needs to quit running and hiding from the truth - now he can be faced with it, everytime he runs away from washington to go home.

Quote:
She really ticks me off. Too bad the sellers didn't screen their buyers a little bit better--I wouldn't want to sell my land to a nut like her either and I would be extremely ticked off too. She is obviously completely immoral and will do anything to disrupt the President's life. Her son, an adult, volunteered to serve in the military. The job of the military is not to march around their bases in their uniforms, looking dashing. Their job is to go into harm's way, to kill people and break things, especially when there is a threat to America and American security, and the security of our allies. I think the death of a soldier is a great tragedy, but it shouldn't be used to further someone's political agenda, even his own mother. Most people don't want to say anything bad about her because she's "bereaved" but I think she's really gone off the deep end. And clinging to this hatred of the President is detrimental to her healing, and mentioned above.[/b]
Iraq wasn't a threat to the US. Osama was, but according to our dear president - he doesn't spend much time thinking about him.

And of course it's our soldiers duties to follow orders, regardless of whether the decision makers are right or wrong - or lied to get them their. But it's our right to protest against the government for wrongs they have committed. In this case, the lies they told to get our soldiers into Iraq, and now the subsequent deaths of our soldiers, and over 100 iraqi's/day in what has turned in to an all out civil war.

So, if Cindy owns the land, it's her right to do what she wants with it - regardless of what neighbors say. There are fair housing laws, I should note, that protect people from being discriminated against. But surely if Cindy would have bid directly on that land, she would have been discriminated against and not allowed to buy it.
[/b]

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but Iraq WAS a threat--a large chemical weapons cache was recently found, and other weapons were disposed of and sent out of the country just ahead of our troops. And the U.S. military IS still in Afghanistan cleaning up there and searching for Osama bin Laden, although his friends are hiding him somewhere and he probably won't be found there. I guess America is just supposed to sit here until we're attacked again. Then everyone who is complaining now will be saying "why didn't someone do something about this BEFORE it happened."

I don't know what "fair housing" laws have to do with this. But I do know that she was dishonest and lied. If you think GW Bush lied, and was wrong for that, then how can she be right for lying? I guess she lied for the "right" reason, huh.

July 31st, 2006, 09:53 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
But I do know that she was dishonest and lied.[/b]
Does anyone know where this happened? Who said what?

I've asked this already but maybe it just got missed?

Considering how many people are basing their opinion on her actions, can we please get some facts about it? Lying can be on either side, right?
July 31st, 2006, 10:12 AM
"The Mike Gallagher Show had Sheehan’s story about the land as his subject today. The news has an interview of the lady who owned the land. She said another person actually bought the land for Sheehan. This fella led the land owner to believe he was a Katrina victim and was (I theorize) trying to start a new beginning or some sob story. Cindy knew that nobody would sell her the land so she used some Anti-war activist to buy it and he lied about who he was! End justifies the means"

"“(Fonseca) Ramsey, who soon may find unexpected neighbors when protesters move into a huge tent on the property he sold, said he was unaware before the sale that it would be used by Sheehan to host Camp Casey in August.
He said he was going to build a home and, one day, a shop (on the land),” Ramsey said Thursday, speaking from his adjacent property in Crawford. “He told me that Katrina wiped him out… It didn’t even occur to me that he could use it for this.”
Fonseca confirmed he never indicated to his new neighbors that the land would be transferred to Sheehan, but he said that was always the plan. He said the $52,500 used to pay for the property"gallagher quotes
waco paper

fair housing laws dont apply here either- if the people were selling this land privatly and were screening buyers, thats all legal. of course the man selling this didnt want to sell land to a protestor because he wanted to protect his neighbor, whether you agree or not

July 31st, 2006, 10:26 AM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but Iraq WAS a threat--a large chemical weapons cache was recently found, and other weapons were disposed of and sent out of the country just ahead of our troops. And the U.S. military IS still in Afghanistan cleaning up there and searching for Osama bin Laden, although his friends are hiding him somewhere and he probably won't be found there. I guess America is just supposed to sit here until we're attacked again. Then everyone who is complaining now will be saying "why didn't someone do something about this BEFORE it happened."

I don't know what "fair housing" laws have to do with this. But I do know that she was dishonest and lied. If you think GW Bush lied, and was wrong for that, then how can she be right for lying? I guess she lied for the "right" reason, huh.[/b]
Actually, and it is ot, so I'm sorry - but I have to correct something. What was found was outdated and useless serin gas that the US sold Iraq during the Iran/Iraq wars. The pentagon has already put out a statement countering Santorum's false claim - just so you know.

Now, back on topic. I did some more research. The gentleman that bought the land wasn't told to say that by Sheehan, he said it on his own accord. He had been staying at the Peace House in Crawford for some time, and agreed to act as the buying "agent". He was a katrina victim, and also a former military professional. He claimed that he was going to someday build a small cabin and shop on the land. What he did wasn't right, but it isn't Cindy that should be blamed for that part of it. From the very begining, it was agreed that he was going to purchase the land with the foundation's money, and sign over the deed. Which will be done in September.

The spin always has two sides. I believe this one to be the most accurate, because it doesn't deny what the man claimed.
July 31st, 2006, 11:47 AM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, if he really was a Katrina victim, then he didnt lie about it and so I do not have a problem with that. I am assuming that this man will be living on the property instead of the shelter that he had been living in before so therefore he didnt really lie. Sooo........yeah, I dont have a problem with it. My one question was answered and I dont think that anything wrong has been done.

PS
If Bush wanted privacy, he shouldnt have become President. I feel the same was about celebrities who whine about people always taking their picture........they chose to become a celebrity and knew the consequinces.....so did Bush!

July 31st, 2006, 12:11 PM
actually he wasnt' a victim of katrina at all. he wasn't living there when it happened and he had moved to texas. he told them he had suffered through the storm and was looking for a place to restart his life.... that is a flat out lie to the people selling the land. he said "i'm a victim and i want to start over RIGHT here on this peice of land" not "well i used to live in new orleans and i've moved and i'm going to tell you this so you'll sell me this land but i'm going to give it to the woman you dont want to sell it to... but i'm a victim"

July 31st, 2006, 12:57 PM
tevinsangel
Surely the sellers would have seen her name on the papers at closing? I don't know alot about buying/selling but when we bought our current home, I clearly saw the sellers name on the papers at closing.
But back to the subject, I feel sorry for Sheehan. I don't think she will ever properly heal her emotional wounds by protesting/camping out in front of/buying next door property to President Bush. I think she forgets, while President Bush is in charge of the country and yes, he is in charge on our end of the war in Iraq, he did not personally kill her son. I mostly just feel pity for the woman. Letting anger and bitterness eat her alive like a terrible disease. That's the problem with bitterness, a woman like Sheehan has so much hate and anger inside she is letting it control and ruin what could otherwise be a very productive life.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search