Illegal to feed the homeless...

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I came across a similar article in my local paper and couldn't believe my eyes. It's illegal to feed the homeless in city parks in Las Vegas (that includes charities that hand out meals). Whatever happened to the land of the free? So much for charity starts at home!!! Criminalizing charity acts sends the wrong message and this law lumps all people into one category and treats all homeless people as criminals by assuming.

In a day and age where violence is so widespread how can doing a kind act be a crime? Where's the justice? What is wrong with this picture?

Feeding the Homeless in Las Vegas is a Crime
July 28th, 2006, 09:28 AM
mrobinson
What is wrong with this picture is right!

The American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada calls it unconstitutional, unenforceable and the latest attempt by the city to hide and harass the homeless instead of constructively addressing their plight.

"So, the only people who get to eat are those who have enough money? Those who get (government) assistance can't eat at your picnic?" asked ACLU attorney Allen Lichtenstein, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal. "I've heard of some rather strange and extreme measures from other cities. I've never heard of something like this. It's mind-boggling."

One advocate for the homeless said she will continue to feed the homeless, despite being cited twice already.

"I'm going to do whatever I think is necessary to keep people alive," Gail Sacco told the paper.

She said her previous citations came while she was feeding the homeless for holding a gathering of 25 or more people without a permit.
July 28th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I could see making it illegal to give them money (since it encourages pan-handling and they might spend in on drugs/booze)

But FOOD!!!

I would do it anyway.
July 29th, 2006, 10:30 PM
kadydid
###### that
July 30th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I heard that Miami and other cities are following this thought and might make this law as well. I haven't given money but I do donate to various charities that do feed the homeless and couldn't imagine it being illegal to feed them.

As it's been said...they're people as well and deserve to be treated as one. I wonder if these cities with these laws have made it illegal to feed stray animals as well?
July 30th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Brandy81
I think not being able to feed them is going a little overboard but there is a real problem with the homeless in this city. I think it should be illegal to give them money and thats about it. Because they will stand on the freeway exits and at stoplights begging for money then come into 7-11 and buy beer and cigs. I see it all the time! I work at 7-11 in a not so great neighborhood and it happens all the time. I think Goodman has a good idea but a bad way of going about it. I can't take my children to the park at night because the homeless are bedding down there and they are the cause of 30 to 40% of the fires in the Valley. So yeah the issue needs to be delt with. What Goodman is trying to get across is that there is no reason for them to be in parks and other areas overnight due to all the money the city has put into building shelters. And that there is no reason why they should be homeless at all with the programs that the city has put into place for them. They just built an area of really nice government housing for underprivilaged.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search