Is this child neglect?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2006, 11:56 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
I am a member of another message board and there was a debate started on something I consider child neglect.

The girl said that one of her friend's (let's call her Mary) has a one year old. Mary will wait for the one year old to go to bed and take the baby monitor next door while Mary and her DH go out to eat and walk downtown for about 3 hours. She said she had done it before and the poster actually thought it was a good idea! What do you girls think?[/b]
Umm.. ok if your Michael Jackson but neglect for the rest of us.
July 28th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Blueberry's Avatar Regular
NEGLECT
July 28th, 2006, 12:06 PM
chlodoll
Why cant she just ask the neighbour to come over and hang out at their place. Baby moniters arent that reliable. Something horrible could happen.

I was watching friends once and rachael did that. emma went to sleep and she had the abby monitor and went over to monicas for a party. i thought it probably wasnt a good thing to be encouraging.
July 28th, 2006, 12:16 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think it is a big deal. What is the difference from being outside cleaning the yard with the monitor or being next door with the monitor?

We have an outdoor shower house. Last year our shower inside was broken so I would put on a movie for the kids and go take a shower with the monitor. Now it didn't take me 3 hours. IS this at night or something? The baby is asleep not just hanging out in the house alone right?

Personally I wouldn't do it but I don't see it as neglect.
July 28th, 2006, 12:21 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I don't think it is a big deal. What is the difference from being outside cleaning the yard with the monitor or being next door with the monitor?

We have an outdoor shower house. Last year our shower inside was broken so I would put on a movie for the kids and go take a shower with the monitor. Now it didn't take me 3 hours. IS this at night or something? The baby is asleep not just hanging out in the house alone right?

Personally I wouldn't do it but I don't see it as neglect.[/b]
Access.. going downtown and being in the shower are so different because you're still in earshot.
July 28th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah...baby monitor from next door neighbor does not equal lawful care or babysitting...
July 28th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Not sure on this one. Is the monitor with a neighbor while Mary and her dh go out? Maybe the know the monitor works well like that. I don't know. I personally wouldn't leave my house for any significant (or minor) amount of time if my baby was alone sleeping. Now I do go outside to the garden when he's in the house, and sometimes he's not even sleeping.

I would say if the monitor is with a person...it isnt' neglect. Although, I would rather have the neighbor come over to listen for the baby rather than rely on a monitor.

July 28th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I have actually heard of something similiar and the parents being found guilty of child endangerment. I have gone outside to water flowers after the kids are in bed...but come on...to leave for three hours! WOW! Not good..yes,I think it is neglect!

</div>

</blockquote>
July 28th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Ashes78
I don't know if I would say neglect or not. I would need more details on the situation to judge. 3hrs is a long time but...Does the baby sleep through the night? How close next door is the next door neighbor? Does the neighbor run over to check on the baby every so often? Etc.
July 28th, 2006, 01:52 PM
LouLouMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Neglect! Monitor or not, that baby is in the house ALONE!!! WTH is wrong with people?

Angel~9/12/05~with us for 5 weeks</span></span></span>
July 28th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Ashes78
Quote:
Neglect! Monitor or not, that baby is in the house ALONE!!! WTH is wrong with people?[/b]
Have you never left your child in the house asleep while you ran to the mailbox to get the mail, etc?
July 28th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Neglect! Monitor or not, that baby is in the house ALONE!!! WTH is wrong with people?[/b]
Have you never left your child in the house asleep while you ran to the mailbox to get the mail, etc?
[/b]
Or to the garden? How about taking a nice long shower? Sure in that case you might be "in the house" but will you hear the baby crying??

July 28th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Ashes78
I guess I neglect my kids then, huh? I leave Xan alone in the house napping while I go check the mail, feed the dog, check the chemicals on the pool, etc. Oh my...I even take the monitor into the backyard with me while he's napping so I can relax in the pool and get some sun.
July 28th, 2006, 02:30 PM
mrobinson
Being on your property is way different than going downtown for a meal.
July 28th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I guess I neglect my kids then, huh? I leave Xan alone in the house napping while I go check the mail, feed the dog, check the chemicals on the pool, etc. Oh my...I even take the monitor into the backyard with me while he's napping so I can relax in the pool and get some sun. [/b]
*GASP* I'm calling the cops!!

Quote:
Being on your property is way different than going downtown for a meal.[/b]
Very different. But I was under the impression that the monitor was left with a neighbor so that person could check the baby. Was I mistaken about this?

July 28th, 2006, 02:34 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I guess I neglect my kids then, huh? I leave Xan alone in the house napping while I go check the mail, feed the dog, check the chemicals on the pool, etc. Oh my...I even take the monitor into the backyard with me while he's napping so I can relax in the pool and get some sun.[/b]
I do all that without a monitor but that is ebcause my house and yard is so darn small that I don't need one. lol

3 hours is a long time though..... I think we need more info. Mostly how far away is the neighbor. I used to live in a two family and the girl upstairs used to put her baby to sleep and bring me the monitor cause it was the easiest way to do it. Then I could get my kids to sleep. I don't see how that is any different than my kids bedroom being upstairs and me having a monitor.
July 28th, 2006, 02:37 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Very different. But I was under the impression that the monitor was left with a neighbor so that person could check the baby. Was I mistaken about this?[/b]
You were right about the neighbour.. but Ash thought being in the back of her yard is comparable.. I didn't so that's why I said that..
July 28th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Ashes78
Quote:
Being on your property is way different than going downtown for a meal.[/b]
The neighbor she left the monitor with wasn't downtown. If her neighbor's house just a few feet away, I dont see the difference between that and me being out in my yard. I have a huge yard.

Quote:
Quote:
I guess I neglect my kids then, huh? I leave Xan alone in the house napping while I go check the mail, feed the dog, check the chemicals on the pool, etc. Oh my...I even take the monitor into the backyard with me while he's napping so I can relax in the pool and get some sun. [/b]
*GASP* I'm calling the cops!!
[/b]
Better call em now. Xan is napping, my 10 year olds are in the pool and I am about to go out front to check my mail.
July 28th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
Or to the garden? How about taking a nice long shower? Sure in that case you might be "in the house" but will you hear the baby crying??
[/b]
Its neglect. Its different if you are in the house/yard. If the house catches on fire, you will be able to see that. Not to mention that people break into houses to take children. Im sorry but its just not worth it for me. My kids are more important to me than a few hours out. Leaving an infant home alone is wrong. PERIOD.

Quote:
Better call em now. Xan is napping, my 10 year olds are in the pool and I am about to go out front to check my mail. [/b]
I really dont think its funny to leave your kid alone in a pool for even 2 minutes. Kids can drown in a matter of minutes, no matter how good of swimmers they are. Crap happnes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search