Eating Meat

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you eat meat? Do you think it's right or wrong? Murder? Bad for the environment? Bad for you?

I eat some meat (just chicken and fish, I'm slowly cutting it out) and its only because I'm lazy and I like the taste. I don't think I need it. And I think the beef industry is horrible for the environment. I'm not a crazy in your face meat is murder person but I TOTALLY understand those people and agree with them. I'm just desentitized I guess.
July 28th, 2006, 01:12 PM
irishxrose
I don't think it's wrong. I eat meat.

The human race didn't survive off of just plants.
July 28th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Super Mommy
I'm ok with it because it goes back to the beginning of time. I was a vegetarian for a while, would like to be again, but I too am too lazy (not the best cook and then would have to cook separate meals for me and DS because I don't beleive in pushing my beleifs on him till he's old enough to decide). I don't think red meat is great for you, more negatives then positives when you can get it's benefits by eating other food ie. dark green veggies, but I don't care one way or the other if other people eat it.
July 28th, 2006, 01:31 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
humans, by nature, are omnivores. Meaning we should eat meat and plants. I see nothing wrong with it. We are all a part of the food chain, and if you screw with the food chain you screw with nature.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
July 28th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
humans, by nature, are omnivores. Meaning we should eat meat and plants. I see nothing wrong with it. We are all a part of the food chain, and if you screw with the food chain you screw with nature.[/b]
But we are screwing with the food chain. We don't let animal populations grow naturally. We have huge farms where we force feed animals. These farms cause huge amounts of waste that affect other animal populations. We consume much more meat than we did historically (in North America) because it's so easy and affordable.
July 28th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm a meat eater and proud of it! Give me a nice thick medium rare juicy steak any day of the week! Okay, now my mouth is watering!!!

If someone doesn't want to eat meat...fine, but it's not wrong for me to do so. In fact...give me your share!

July 28th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Veteran
Quote:
I don't think it's wrong. I eat meat.

The human race didn't survive off of just plants.[/b]
People who don't eat meat don't live off of just plants. I don't eat any meat(and that includes chicken and fish) and I'm alive. I guess you could say I live off of plants then.

I don't think it is healthy to eat meat. You can get everything you need from a non-dead animal source. And meat has cholesterol, worms, bacteria, antibiotics, all kinds of crap I don't want to ingest.
July 28th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Ashes78
Meat is good! I only eat chicken and fish now though. I am on a diet and red meat is just too fattening. I really would like to have some deer meat though..mmm. (I go hunting for my dear meat, I am probably going to hell, huh? )
July 28th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Super Mommy
I'm an animal...animals eat meat or plants or both. If they can choose what they want to eat, why can't I? They have to kill for their food as we do.
July 28th, 2006, 03:09 PM
mrobinson
(copied from a previous post.)
Honestly.. This is my opinion. This is a really hard subject for me. I've took a lot of years of guilt and soul searching and only recently became a vegetarian. (Since April 2 so I mean really new at this.) Anyway for me growing up in a world-renown beef area by hard core meat eaters, it's almost the worst thing in the world to be a vegetarian... (I think they'd rather me be gay and that's pretty bad where I'm from.) But because I've been surrounded by these beautiful creatures I can't continue eating them. I echo what has been said ~ it's not just eating meat, it's eating dead cow, dead fish, dead chicken, dead deer or dead whatever. I really think the majority of North Americans eat meat from habit not for nutrition. It's what they know and are used too. If we could even just cut down our meat consumption that would be better for our bodies, the animals and the Earth. I understand (especially you pregnant moms) believe that meat is the best thing for your bodies.. Girls I get that. I haven't ruled out I may have to go back to meat. I know if I have to, I will not be so gluttoness about it the next time round. (Hopefully never as I think I ate enough meat in my time most people would only dream of.)
July 28th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I eat meat because I like it. I don't think vegetarians are wrong in their decisions nor do I think meat-eaters are wrong in their decision. Every person is different and I think whatever works best for you is the best!
Amanda
July 28th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Humans are preditors, meat eating preditors. Everything from the placement of our eyes to the position of our ears to our teeth gives evidence to the nature of the homo sapien from an evolutionary standpoint. If humans were not meant to eat meat, a culturally and physically cut-off human would survive without meat naturally. That is to say, this particular human would naturally not eat meat (without the influence of media, literature, other cultures, etc). Looking at remote tribes of peoples, we see this doesn't happen. So, I believe that there IS a natural tendency in humans to be preditors with the evidence being our biological makeup, our bodies, and our natural tendencies.

I enjoy game of all kinds and believe many types of meat are an excellent source of ready to go nutrients. And, because we hunt for what we eat, it is both time and money saving as well as healthier.... and that's very human nature to me ...saving time and money hehe!
July 28th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Veteran
I dunno if you are religious^, but the original diet did not contain meat.
July 28th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My family eats meat. But I also put a lot of grains and veggies in our diets. I don't have a problem with vegetarians at all, it is a person's choice of if they want to eat it or not. We do eat more chicken and fish just because it is healthier.

July 29th, 2006, 12:55 AM
kadydid
Quote:
I dunno if you are religious^, but the original diet did not contain meat.[/b]
Actually I watched the IMAX "The secret of life on earth" movie a week or so ago, and they seem to think all life began as vegetarian. I believe even Darwin was a vegetarian and did not believe that man was naturally a meat eater.

Quote:
"The grading of forms, organic functions, customs and diets showed in an evident way that the normal food of man is vegetable like the anthropoids and apes and that our canine teeth are less developed than theirs and that we are not destined to compete with wild beasts or carnivorous animals." Charles Darwin[/b]
http://www.european-vegetarian.org/evu/eng...2/omnivore.html

My MIL, whom I love and adore said to me, "Why don't you shop at Wal-Mart? One person can not make a difference." Then she proceeded to tell me how she saved on her prescriptions. I just smile, because I know most people do not look at the world the same way that I do. Sometimes I think Ahhh am I never going to have an Arby's roast beef again? LOL But then I get ahold of my own pathetic desire for junk food and I go on with my day LOL
Ethically it is the not right thing for me to do. Sometimes I feel like giving in, but like anything else in this world, once you have made certain discoveries you can't really go back. Not without even more guilt than before.

I don't think badly of people who eat meat, I just don't think we have discovered the same things.
July 29th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
A couple studies/articles/books on humans as meat eaters during our evoution:

study

a book my husband owns on this

article

Of course, there are other theories and religion (no, I am not religious) having to dictate a vegetarian diet seems to suggest it was not what people were doing. In addition, if we are speaking of a form of christianity, there is a rejection of the fossil record, which is used extensively in the meat eating theory.

In my opinon, Darwin would have had a much different opinion had he lived until now and seen the ways in which his thoery of human evolution has been backed by evidence as well as the uncovering of new links and steps in the path to modern humans. He couldn't have known about the stages of man's development past his theory, but we now have the bodies and the evidence to study, as well as the bones and fossils. He would have easily seen why our teeth are now flatter and our canines less developed by applying his own theory of natural selection to the evidence of the evolution of man.

There may, of course, be an argument to whether or not "meat eating" is a simple "life saver" for remote peoples, those living in arrid places, etc. A kind of idea that those not having to eat meat shouldn't (not to say this in a elite or condescending way at all)...however, I see this argument as a ethical argument and not one based on the science of man or man's evoltuion. iT's kind of a "yes, you can eat meat but should you?" type thing...

I would probably feel some guilt about eating meat if we ate store bought meat, but since we hunt/fish and store everything in our basement super freezer, I don't really feel too bad about it. We are eating meat without supporting the beef/pig/chicken industries (although I admit that we will buy a free range steak once in a blue moon).
July 29th, 2006, 08:42 AM
kadydid
Quote:
In my opinon, Darwin would have had a much different opinion had he lived until now and seen the ways in which his thoery of human evolution has been backed by evidence as well as the uncovering of new links and steps in the path to modern humans. He couldn't have known about the stages of man's development past his theory, but we now have the bodies and the evidence to study, as well as the bones and fossils. He would have easily seen why our teeth are now flatter and our canines less developed by applying his own theory of natural selection to the evidence of the evolution of man.[/b]

Oh I don't believe that early man stayed on a vegetarian diet very long. LOL After all, man is smart. If he is hungry and seeing other creatures eating flesh, he is going to try it. It makes perfect sense.

I honestly really don't have any stake on how long people stayed vegetarians. Mine comes from an ethical standpoint.
July 29th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I tend to get anemic very easily so I try to work alot of red meat into my diet. I know I can get it from other sources like spinach and stuff, but I dont really like that stuff. I do like meat though, when I think about the fact that its dead something yeah it grosses me out but I try not to think about it. Personally I think eating meat is healthy. I dont eat alot of burgers and such, yeah that isnt the healthiest but I think a nice roast beef or roast turkey keeps me healthy.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

July 29th, 2006, 06:22 PM
friskycat01's Avatar Super Mommy
I eat chicken, fish, and turkey and i wish I didn't. I feel bad for the poor animals and I wish i had the will power to stop eating them. It is just so hard to shop and feed a family without your diet consistin of mostly pasta and rice. I understand you can eat dairy, but the truth is that is not good for the animals either. Unless you buy free range organic (which is not an option for most families because of the expense).

It is just really hard to be a vegan or a vegeterian.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search