Log In Sign Up

Big Babies


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
July 28th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,429
I'm not talking about chubby babies or obese ones(like Maury worthy). I'm talking about the babies that are big---like they have big rolls in their things and it makes it hard for the baby to move.

Is this wrong of the parents to let baby get this way? And do you think bottlefeeding could make it easier to overfeed a baby(it seems that the really big babies I see are always bottle-fed)?

Does it pre-disposition them to be obese later in life?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
July 28th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Ashes78
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
I'm not talking about chubby babies or obese ones(like Maury worthy). I'm talking about the babies that are big---like they have big rolls in their things and it makes it hard for the baby to move.

Is this wrong of the parents to let baby get this way? And do you think bottlefeeding could make it easier to overfeed a baby(it seems that the really big babies I see are always bottle-fed)?

Does it pre-disposition them to be obese later in life?[/b]
Yes, it's wrong for the parents to let them get that way. Parents need to learn when to tell their kids no. At lunch today, Xan had already finished his lunch and Zach fixed himself some soup. When Xan saw Zach sit down at the table with the soup, he started having a fit wanting some. I knew that Xan was not hungry because he had just finished his lunch. He just wanted it because Zach had it. Xan fussed for a little bit about it but then went on about his business. Some parents just don't know how to say no and would have given in just because the child was fussing. I don't think bottle feeding has anything to do with it, like I said, it's just parents that can't say no. I don't think it pre-disposes them to be obese later. They can always change their eating habits.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
July 28th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,429
Yeah, I agree with you. It just seems like it would be easier to over-feed with bottles, because you could just pop one in whenever baby is upset. But with breastfeeding, your body doesn't really make enough to overfeed. KWIM?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
July 28th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Ashes78
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Yeah, I agree with you. It just seems like it would be easier to over-feed with bottles, because you could just pop one in whenever baby is upset. But with breastfeeding, your body doesn't really make enough to overfeed. KWIM?[/b]
It probably would be easier..I see what you mean.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
July 28th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 454
I don't agree. My babies get big, and then thin out later on. My newest baby was exclusively breast fed until 4 months, when he was 21 pounds. ONLY from breastmilk! After that, he started on the foods, not any more than any other baby. Sometimes skipping meals. At 7 months, he was 26 pounds, and at 9 months he was 29 pounds. He is such a happy baby, and turns away food when I offer it and he isn't hungry. I don't keep offering different foods when he turns it away, when he says no, he means no! Just like my other two boys, he will thin out as he gets more active. I "let" him excersize by giving him the full reign of the house, he gets to climb the stairs when I supervise, he walks along furniture, etc etc. I don't think moms of big babies should be judged based on their weight. I never think that moms of tiny babies starve them. I mean, really Aren't we all just trying to do our best?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
July 28th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,109
Will babies eat when they're not hungry? I thought that was a learned thing...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
July 28th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,496
THe studies tend to show a slight increase in the chances of obesity from bottlefeeding (but there was actually one study that said the same thing of babies who are fed exclusively breastmilk from a bottle)- so it could either be the bottle itself or the formula, or a combination of both (haven't yet seen a study that was just formula and expressed BM babies).

When I hear about these TV shows, I tend to think it's the parents all the way. They either A) think chubbiness = happy and healthy or B ) overfeed for any number of reasons (can't say no, have their own emotional issues, something...). A friend told me about one show wehre a 6 month old was eating whole slices of pizza, ice cream, sub sandwiches...I didn't think that was possible but she showed me the summary of the show on the net!
__________________
taking jm breaks if you don't see me around much
Reply With Quote
  #8  
July 28th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 454
Pizza, ice cream and sandwiches to a 6 month old? I didn't think that was possible. Wow.

All 3 of my boys started out chubby for the first year. Neither dh nor I are overweight. Neither of my older 2 boys are overweight. As a matter of fact, my 7 year old very active boy was the fastest backstroker in his age group on the swim team! And yes, he was a chubby baby. Not Maury chubby, but chubby.
Dh was not chubby as a baby, but was as a child because of his parents eating habits. When he was in college and could choose his own eating habits, he slimmed down. So I guess it does apply in some cases, just not mine.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
July 28th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,429
Quote:
I don't agree. My babies get big, and then thin out later on. My newest baby was exclusively breast fed until 4 months, when he was 21 pounds. ONLY from breastmilk! After that, he started on the foods, not any more than any other baby. Sometimes skipping meals. At 7 months, he was 26 pounds, and at 9 months he was 29 pounds. He is such a happy baby, and turns away food when I offer it and he isn't hungry. I don't keep offering different foods when he turns it away, when he says no, he means no! Just like my other two boys, he will thin out as he gets more active. I "let" him excersize by giving him the full reign of the house, he gets to climb the stairs when I supervise, he walks along furniture, etc etc. I don't think moms of big babies should be judged based on their weight. I never think that moms of tiny babies starve them. I mean, really Aren't we all just trying to do our best?[/b]
Wow! Elizabeth is 10 months old and about 18 lbs. How much did they weigh at birth?

Quote:
THe studies tend to show a slight increase in the chances of obesity from bottlefeeding (but there was actually one study that said the same thing of babies who are fed exclusively breastmilk from a bottle)- so it could either be the bottle itself or the formula, or a combination of both (haven't yet seen a study that was just formula and expressed BM babies).

When I hear about these TV shows, I tend to think it's the parents all the way. They either A) think chubbiness = happy and healthy or B ) overfeed for any number of reasons (can't say no, have their own emotional issues, something...). A friend told me about one show wehre a 6 month old was eating whole slices of pizza, ice cream, sub sandwiches...I didn't think that was possible but she showed me the summary of the show on the net![/b]
I didn't mean in the makeup of breastmilk/formula---bottles in general(breast of formula) because it's harder to distinguish a baby's cues I think. People might end up feeding a bottle when baby's not really hungry.

I've seen those!! Maury has shows with massive babies eating pizza and stuff all the time. That is 100% the parents fault(unless medical). I'm not talking about that big of babies, just the ones who are rolly polly-somewhere in the middle, and whether it is healthy.

I have heard that bigger babies take longer to hit milestones because it's harder for them to move.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
July 28th, 2006, 08:45 PM
chlodoll
Guest
Posts: n/a
I think some babies are naturally just big no matter what you feed them. I think generally if your babies height is right for his weight then he is just a big baby. I think with bottlefeeding they baby doesnt always over eat but the parent might encourage them to finish the bottle despite the baby not wanting it. When you see the food there you think they should eat it. Just like us babies have days where they want to eat less or days they want to eat more. I am not saying every bottefeeder does this, but it would be easier to do then with breastfeeding since we dont know how much they get and they decide. My SIL force fed her daughter all the time. She was always shoving something down her throat. I felt so sorry for her. She has a real aversion to eating now and she is only 21 months. She was massive as a baby and I think its definetly becuase they over fed her. She is thinning out now as she gets taller but she is still a little big.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
July 28th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sylvania Township, Ohio
Posts: 22,176
Quote:
Pizza, ice cream and sandwiches to a 6 month old? I didn't think that was possible. Wow.[/b]
My mom has always bragged about my sister eating solid food at 4 month old, she did not want just the formula anymore, she wanted what mom & dad were eating. So I guess it is possible.

I don't really know what to say to this debate really. I had a chubby baby, a skinnier baby and an in-between baby, all 3 had the same eating patterns when they were that little. Now none of them are chubby or anything, though my 8 y/o shows no restraint when eating, we have to tell him NO after his second helping. It is also shown obesity and people being overweight can be hereditary too.

Quote:
I've seen those!! Maury has shows with massive babies eating pizza and stuff all the time. That is 100% the parents fault(unless medical). I'm not talking about that big of babies, just the ones who are rolly polly-somewhere in the middle, and whether it is healthy.

I have heard that bigger babies take longer to hit milestones because it's harder for them to move.[/b]

Sometimes it can be medical. I worked with children in a home and one ate nonstop. He had something medical wrong with him, I just can't remember what (it was 6 years ago). But I can vividly remember working out there and any food laying around, he got ahold of. The fridge even had to be locked because of him. I only don't remember everything because I worked through an agency that sent me out there, I didn't actually work for the facility.
__________________
Thank you KimberlyD0 for my absolutely beautiful siggy!


Reply With Quote
  #12  
July 28th, 2006, 10:12 PM
chlodoll
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Sometimes it can be medical. I worked with children in a home and one ate nonstop. He had something medical wrong with him, I just can't remember what (it was 6 years ago). But I can vividly remember working out there and any food laying around, he got ahold of. The fridge even had to be locked because of him. I only don't remember everything because I worked through an agency that sent me out there, I didn't actually work for the facility.[/b]
I have seen that condition on a few talk shows. They never feel full so they just eat and eat and eat!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
July 28th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sylvania Township, Ohio
Posts: 22,176
Quote:
Quote:
Sometimes it can be medical. I worked with children in a home and one ate nonstop. He had something medical wrong with him, I just can't remember what (it was 6 years ago). But I can vividly remember working out there and any food laying around, he got ahold of. The fridge even had to be locked because of him. I only don't remember everything because I worked through an agency that sent me out there, I didn't actually work for the facility.[/b]
I have seen that condition on a few talk shows. They never feel full so they just eat and eat and eat!
[/b]
Exactly! On DHC they have episodes about people like this all the time.
__________________
Thank you KimberlyD0 for my absolutely beautiful siggy!


Reply With Quote
  #14  
July 29th, 2006, 03:51 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Washington, DC
Posts: 15,982
I can see how a bottlefed baby would overeat, where a breastfed baby wouldn't - having done both with my daughter. When she was BFing, she'd comfort-suck (like using a pacifier) and hardly any milk would come out, so she just got to pacify herself. Now that she's weaned herself to a bottle (and totally stubborn on refusing a pacifier), she's over-eating (in fact, threw up the whole first week I exclusively bottle-fed, b/c she ate too much) b/c she tries to comfort-suck on the bottle...and the formula just keeps coming!

I'm not discouraging her, however, since she's been FTT since she was 2 months old...at 10 months she weighs just a little over 10lbs.
__________________
I predict a riot.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
July 29th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 6,149
Quote:
[
I didn't mean in the makeup of breastmilk/formula---bottles in general(breast of formula) because it's harder to distinguish a baby's cues I think. People might end up feeding a bottle when baby's not really hungry.[/b]
I don't think it's difficult at all to distinguish my son's cues, and he's bottle fed. He eats every so many hours (usually about 4-5). IF he fusses sooner than that, I see if there's another problem. Sometimes a pacifier will do the trick.

I will say that sometimes it could be easy to just "stick a bottle in their mouth" to quiet them, and in effect overfeed, but I don't think it's true of all parents that formula (or bottle) feed. I read my son's cues. He's almost 5 months and weighs 14.10 pounds. Definitely doesn't sound overweight to me. So, I think it's definitely the parents. It has nothing to do with being formula fed.
__________________
~Amber~

Reply With Quote
  #16  
July 29th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: *queen city* of North Carolina
Posts: 9,497
I have the oppisite problem with Hailey, she's LONG so it looks like she's underweight, when she's not.

Its possible to over feed, breast or bottle. And some babies are just bigger then others, it doesn't mean they are over [or under] weight. If a parent is sticking a bottle [or boob] in the babies mouth just to quiet them, then something should be done. For Hailey, if I give her a bottle she'll drink til its gone, but with bfing she wont do anything if she's not hungry and will push my boob away or start screaming at me.

Also, i'm not sure what aged babies your refering to, but until they become moble, they are more chuncky, and as they start moving about, they don't appear as chunky. I've seen friends' babies chucky up until their moble, and once they start moving about they arn't, unless an unhealthy eating habits are created.
__________________
Proud Mommy To My Princess (5)
Watching over us -- August 2005, March 2010, October 2010, July 2011
Reply With Quote
  #17  
July 29th, 2006, 02:25 PM
greenjeans's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Galveston, TX
Posts: 1,731
Quote:
Sometimes it can be medical. I worked with children in a home and one ate nonstop. He had something medical wrong with him, I just can't remember what (it was 6 years ago). But I can vividly remember working out there and any food laying around, he got ahold of. The fridge even had to be locked because of him. I only don't remember everything because I worked through an agency that sent me out there, I didn't actually work for the facility.[/b]
was it prader willi syndrome? they never get the signal that they're full
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #18  
July 29th, 2006, 04:19 PM
GirLStaR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The fish bowl
Posts: 1,012
My niece is 6 months old and 20 lbs. She's one of those really fat babies. She's been exclusively breastfed and today is actually the first time she'll get anything that is not breastmilk bc today she turned 6 months. Theres nothing my SIL could have done, you cannot put a baby that only gets breastmilk on a diet, and her ped said its ok, she's in 95% percintile, but its healthy fat.
__________________
<div align="center">
</div>
Reply With Quote
  #19  
July 29th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 454
Quote:
Quote:
I don't agree. My babies get big, and then thin out later on. My newest baby was exclusively breast fed until 4 months, when he was 21 pounds. ONLY from breastmilk! After that, he started on the foods, not any more than any other baby. Sometimes skipping meals. At 7 months, he was 26 pounds, and at 9 months he was 29 pounds. He is such a happy baby, and turns away food when I offer it and he isn't hungry. I don't keep offering different foods when he turns it away, when he says no, he means no! Just like my other two boys, he will thin out as he gets more active. I "let" him excersize by giving him the full reign of the house, he gets to climb the stairs when I supervise, he walks along furniture, etc etc. I don't think moms of big babies should be judged based on their weight. I never think that moms of tiny babies starve them. I mean, really Aren't we all just trying to do our best?[/b]
Wow! Elizabeth is 10 months old and about 18 lbs. How much did they weigh at birth?

Quote:
THe studies tend to show a slight increase in the chances of obesity from bottlefeeding (but there was actually one study that said the same thing of babies who are fed exclusively breastmilk from a bottle)- so it could either be the bottle itself or the formula, or a combination of both (haven't yet seen a study that was just formula and expressed BM babies).

When I hear about these TV shows, I tend to think it's the parents all the way. They either A) think chubbiness = happy and healthy or B ) overfeed for any number of reasons (can't say no, have their own emotional issues, something...). A friend told me about one show wehre a 6 month old was eating whole slices of pizza, ice cream, sub sandwiches...I didn't think that was possible but she showed me the summary of the show on the net![/b]
I didn't mean in the makeup of breastmilk/formula---bottles in general(breast of formula) because it's harder to distinguish a baby's cues I think. People might end up feeding a bottle when baby's not really hungry.

I've seen those!! Maury has shows with massive babies eating pizza and stuff all the time. That is 100% the parents fault(unless medical). I'm not talking about that big of babies, just the ones who are rolly polly-somewhere in the middle, and whether it is healthy.

I have heard that bigger babies take longer to hit milestones because it's harder for them to move.
[/b]
Mason was 9'4, Ty was 8'8 (but came home at 7'11) and Gavin was 8'2.
Babies DO NOT take longer to hit milestones when they are bigger. Mason started walking before he was 8 months old! Really! The doc made me show her at a visit because she didn't believe such a young baby could walk, but he showed her I think hitting milestones depends on personality. Mason was all ready to move on to the next milestone before he even perfected what he was working on. Then Ty was so easy going and content just sitting and playing, so he took longer on the milestones. Gavin is somewhat in between. All my boys have been close to the 100 percentile in height, weight and head circumference. I think the growth charts are a joke, but that is another thread.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
July 29th, 2006, 06:28 PM
friskycat01's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bloomington, Indiana
Posts: 820
I believe it is wrong to feed your baby junk food and suger.

That said, it is possible to have a very fat chunky baby and have them be BF and eat normal infant food. There is a woman i know from another board who's baby is super chunky and the child is BF and has never had a drop of suger. Who lknows why, but in some children it cannot be controled.

And about FF. My duaghter is FF and on the thin side. I think it has to do more with their body. She eats until she is full, it just happens to take a lot less to fill her up than a lot of babies.

Layla is 9 1/2 mo old and FF (was BF until 5 mo) and she weighs 18 lbs and is 28 in long.
__________________
<div align="center"></div><div align="center"> </div>
<div align="center">
</div>
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:07 AM.