Anti-War TShirts

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Veteran
Check this link out:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/21/...in1826743.shtml

Basically, a guy was making anti-war t-shirts with deceased soldier's names on them. I guess he is not doing it anymore due to the controversy, but am I the only one who thinks this isn't right?
July 28th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Super Mommy
I consider it a form of freedom of speech. I don't think it's wrong.
July 28th, 2006, 03:04 PM
mrobinson
I support anti-war slogans but to use the deceased names without the permission of the family, is insenistive and disrespectful, IMHO.
July 28th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Veteran
Quote:
I consider it a form of freedom of speech. I don't think it's wrong.[/b]
I think it is freedom of speech when it just says 'anti-war' or whatever--but including individual's names is beyond personal speech. The family didn't approve for the name to be on it.
July 28th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I support anti-war slogans but to use the deceased names without the permission of the family, is insenistive and disrespectful, IMHO.[/b]
I think the shirt falls under free speech, BUT they should only use names with permission.

July 28th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
I support anti-war slogans but to use the deceased names without the permission of the family, is insenistive and disrespectful, IMHO.[/b]
I was assuming that these names were used with permission. Kind of like a .... "memorial" (is that the right word?) shirt.

That's what I get for not reading the link..... LOL!!
July 28th, 2006, 03:14 PM
mrobinson
((giggle)) I do that sometimes too!

IS there a way their names would legally be public to use?
July 28th, 2006, 03:17 PM
kadydid
Quote:
I think this too. ( I guess we just agree on topics today lol)
July 28th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Super Mommy
Yea...where is all the controversy....seems like ppl are agreeing these days... O_o

LOL!
July 28th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

I have a shirt that I wear alot...says "make love, not war"...alot different then wearing a shirt that has deceased soliders names on them...I think it is wrong to have their names added to it...unless they have permission first.

</div>

</blockquote>
July 28th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think its a great idea so long as they have permission, god forbid something happens to my husband overseas I want people to know he died as a result of some stupid war that makes no sense. I want people to know families are being destroyed for selfish reasons.

July 28th, 2006, 04:57 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't neccessarily support anti-war slogans but I support freedom of speach so I say ok so long as it is ok with the deceased families.
July 28th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Veteran
Quote:
I think it would be better if they had the families approval. I also think that the soliders names used on the shirts may have a different opinion then what they shirt says. Some of the soldiers believed they died for a good cause and the shirt is saying otherwise. (I'm not trying to debate whether the war is a good cause or not). My high school sweetheart died in Iraq in June of 2004. I know he thought that dying was honorable and something that came with the job so I definately think he would be offended as would his family (all are in the military). Using these names to make money is not something I condone or approve. They should just use numbers to emphasize the amount of soliders killed.[/b]
ITA!!
July 29th, 2006, 05:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

ITA!

</div>
July 29th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
What she said
July 29th, 2006, 07:05 PM
friskycat01's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't see what is wrong with it if it is the truth. Those soldiers died and the person thinks it is wrong. I think that it is a memorial and a war protest. He is trying to bring attention to the lives lost in a war that he dosn't agree with.
July 29th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Veteran
That's fine --- but he can just put that soldiers in general are dying on his tshirts. There is no need to insult a deceased soldier and his family by using his name for something he probably does not agree with and didn't agree to.
July 30th, 2006, 01:30 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I see both sides to this I guess... I see where a family might take offense & I see where simply showing the number means little or nothing to most people..that is evident alone in the families reactions..a number didn't matter to them, Cpl. Scott M. Vincent meant something. There-in lies the difference. If I were to read the names on the shirt, I have to acknowledge the life behind that name, the fact that he was a son, maybe a brother & uncle, possibly a father, certainly a friend & had a life I am sure was worth living. A name says so much more than a number ever would, whether you are speaking of a memorial (such as the Vietnam memorial) or a protest such as this. I guess if we are to make laws that someone can't make money off the deceased soldiers names, then perhaps news papers are exempt...or news shows on TV which make their money from such reportings as well. I think this has far more to do with disagreeing with his protest than it does with any money made. I think if his shirt said "honor our fallen" or something similar & he was making 4 times as much money - nothing would have ever been said. That's just my take on what I read.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search