The movie The Fountain

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2006, 08:46 AM
medicgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Horrible, do not spend money on this movie!

However it got me thinking and I had to look something up.
Genesis verse 8 or 9 I think, talks about there being a tree of Knowledge as well as a tree of Life in the Garden of Eden. I know the story surrounding the tree of knowledge, but what is the story with the other tree? It must be very important if God put a flaming sword in front of it to protect it. Is it really supposed to be a tree of immortality? That is how the movie portrayed it; anyone who drank of its sap was going to live forever.
Thoughts? Is it explained further anywhere else in the Bible?
November 24th, 2006, 10:05 AM
mrobinson
Thanks for the heads up not to spend money on it.. but I have to admit it kinda seems interesting now.
November 25th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Doesn't anyone have anything to say about the two different trees?

November 28th, 2006, 12:26 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry. I forgot to reply to this post. I was so engaged in another one! Okay, both trees are first referenced in Gen. 2:9. God placed both trees in the Garden of Eden. The tree of the knowledge of good and evil was obviously the one that Adam and Eve ate from. They were completely innocent up until this point. They were not after they ate from the tree. Before this event happened, Adam and Eve were able to eat from the tree of life. They were meant to live forever. After they ate of the one tree that God told them not to (the tree of the knowledge of good and evil), they could no longer eat of the tree of life. In order to ensure that they wouldn't eat of this tree, God guarded this tree with angels and a sword of fire (this is in Gen. 3:24). The tree of life is again referenced in Revelation 22:14. This reads: "Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city." The reason why God had to prevent them from eating of this tree is that if they did, they would never be redeemed. Before the fall, they were in full communion with God. He walked with them in the garden. After the fall, they were separated from God because God cannot tolerate sin--he is too holy. If they would have eaten from the tree of life, they would be eternally separated from God. God does not want that for us. He wants us to be with Him in eternal peace, not the eternal turmoil of this life. Does that make any sense at all?

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

November 28th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Very interesting points...I spoke with another person about this who is heavily involved in the catholic church and his views were that there was only one tree: The tree of knowledge and life. That both those things were together in one tree. He said I was mistaken in thinking that there were 2 different trees.
November 28th, 2006, 03:48 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, in the Genesis account there are distinctively two separate trees. There is a reason the distinction is made. I have never heard the argument that there is only 1 tree. That's weird. I really don't know anyone who is Catholic, though. Well, I know a few Catholics, but they aren't really active.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search