Homosexuality

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Homosexuality ~ sin or not?
yes and my religion/church agrees 25 33.33%
yes but my religion/church doesn't agree 0 0%
no and my religion/church agrees 13 17.33%
no but my religion/church doesn't agree 8 10.67%
other 0 0%
yes ~ I have no church/religion 4 5.33%
no ~ I have no church/religion 25 33.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2006, 12:40 PM
mrobinson
Do you think homosexuality is wrong or a sin? Why, or why not?
November 24th, 2006, 02:02 PM
mrobinson
((come on liberals))
November 24th, 2006, 11:41 PM
irishxrose
It's not a sin, and it's not wrong. My religion is very accepting and open, and there are even gay/lesbian sects, especially in the Dianic tradition of Wicca. The Goddess and God do not discriminate on your sexual preference and do not ###### you to hell for it either.
November 25th, 2006, 03:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am a spiritualist-we love everyone,well we TRY,it is not always easy,being human and all

We don't do sin,sin is not even a word ever used in my "religion" I could not belong to a religion that sees two people loving each other as a sin.
November 25th, 2006, 08:38 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I absolutely do NOT believe that homosexuality is a sin, and I don't understand the thinking behind some organized religion who thinks it is.
November 25th, 2006, 10:41 AM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I guess I'm the first to post that, yes, I do believe that homosexuality is a sin and that is preached in my church (along with many many other sins). I, however, don't appreciate that many people here keep saying that Christians hate homosexuals. I am a Christian and I do not hate homosexuals. They are people who need to be loved just like anyone else. I think that is such a blanket statement.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

November 25th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Well, I guess I'm the first to post that, yes, I do believe that homosexuality is a sin and that is preached in my church (along with many many other sins). I, however, don't appreciate that many people here keep saying that Christians hate homosexuals. I am a Christian and I do not hate homosexuals. They are people who need to be loved just like anyone else. I think that is such a blanket statement.[/b]
Don't you think people denying them the right to get married isn't a form of hatred? You may not hate them,but you (general you) are not acting lovingly towards them when you want to deny them something that hetrosexuals have.

I get that you see it as a sin,I get you hate the sin and love the sinner,but you are not loving someone when you want what should be a basic human right not to be given to them.If you think they should be loved then why do you want to treat them differently? assuming you are agaisnt gay marriage.
November 25th, 2006, 12:54 PM
You and I have different ideas about what it means to love someone. Just b/c I love someone (say, my daughter), doesn't mean that she should get everything she wants. I can love someone who is homosexual and at the same time believe that marriage was meant to be between a man and a woman only.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

November 25th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Veteran
I think homosexuality and hetrosexuality are absolutely no different. It's two people falling in love for a variety of reasons. Anyone in a loving, supporting, nurturing relationship gets two thumbs up in my book.

November 25th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Well, I guess I'm the first to post that, yes, I do believe that homosexuality is a sin and that is preached in my church (along with many many other sins). I, however, don't appreciate that many people here keep saying that Christians hate homosexuals. I am a Christian and I do not hate homosexuals. They are people who need to be loved just like anyone else. I think that is such a blanket statement.[/b]
Don't you think people denying them the right to get married isn't a form of hatred? You may not hate them,but you (general you) are not acting lovingly towards them when you want to deny them something that hetrosexuals have.

I get that you see it as a sin,I get you hate the sin and love the sinner,but you are not loving someone when you want what should be a basic human right not to be given to them.If you think they should be loved then why do you want to treat them differently? assuming you are agaisnt gay marriage.
[/b]
Ditto - GREAT post!
November 25th, 2006, 03:05 PM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
I think my first question is to dina - when did you choose to he hetrosexual?
Most probably your answer will be "I never chose to be a heterosexual"
It works in the same way with Homosexual people they never chose to be Gay. So couldn't you say that in that case God made them that way? Therefore it isn't a sin.

You fall in love with a PERSON not a penis or a vagina. To me I'm not heterosexual and I'm not bisexual and i'm not homosexual either. I'm jsut me. I fall in love with people and I don't believe in these modern labels put on love. To me anyone who falls in love should have the right to celebrate that love.

And a note on christianity, the bible and homosexuality - any church that preaches the old testament is abusing the niavity of our anscestors. Look how much we know now. That an egg and sperm make a baby. That the egg is never seen. But we do see the semen. It was only logical that our anscestors believed that men soley carried the seed of life and women were purely the incubation space where the baby grew. Therefore even masturbation was wrong due to the spilling of the seed of life for no reason. We have knowledge now... and this knowledge should have freed us not captured us more.
But Ill be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

November 25th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
You and I have different ideas about what it means to love someone. Just b/c I love someone (say, my daughter), doesn't mean that she should get everything she wants. I can love someone who is homosexual and at the same time believe that marriage was meant to be between a man and a woman only.[/b]
Loving someone is allowing them the freedom to do what they want as long as they are not hurting anyone else you can't compare it to parenting,we are talking about grown adults who are capable of making their own decisions,not children.

If you think it i wrong then obviously that is up to you,I do not have a big problem with people thinking it is wrong,what my issue is is that some people think they should not be allowed to get married.They are capable of making their own minds up.Love is letting someone make their own decisions when they are capable of doing so,love is giving people freedom when they are old enough to deal with the outcome.Love is not telling someone they can not marry someone they love because some book says it is wrong.

What I don't get is why do people care if others "sin" if someone wants to do something that you think is wrong,why not allow them to do so? they are the ones who have to answer to god at the end of the day (I don't feel that way,but I know some do)

Your child analogy does not fly,there is a big difference between a child and adult.

Yes to you it may be a sin,but why should someone elses morals/religion dictate to others what they can and can't do when they are not hurting anyone?

I am glad I live in the UK where gay marriage is allowed-I do not want some book telling me how I should live my life,until you can 100% prove the bible is correct then we have no rights telling homosexuals they can't marry.

Even if you can prove the bible is correct we still should not have the right to tell others what to do.As long as they are not hurting anyone else then no one else should care.

Love is love is love,there is enough hate in this world as it is,lets encourage love,be it gay people or "straight".
November 25th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I see what you are saying, Ellie, but sin is sin. I believe that the Bible is 100% the true word of God and it lists homosexuality as a sin, right alongside fornication, not loving your neighbor, stealing, etc. You are right. I did not choose to be heterosexual, but there are other sins that are temptations for me. Homosexulity is not a temptation for me, but it may be for someone else. My sin is no different from their sin and the punishment is the same for both.

Samu~I know we are talking about adults.....I had nothing else I could compare it to. I was just trying to make the comparison that I can love my daughter at the same time that I deny her something that she wants. I wasn't trying to say that homosexuals are child-like. You were trying to say that I couldn't love a homosexual and deny them the right to marry at the same time.

All I can say is that we live in a democracy in the US and many states have voted not to allow homosexual marriage. That is the law. Until the law is changed, it stands how it is. If the law ever is changed then I will respect that is the law and what the people have decided, just like with abortion (although that was decided by the Supreme Court).

I know you all aren't going to like my POV, but you posed the question, so I am going to answer it. You wondered who it would be hurting to allow homosexuals to marry. The answer for me would be that I don't want my children to see this as socially acceptable when the Bible says that it is not. I know that you have said that it is just "some book", but to me it is not.

Ellie~Homosexuality is also spoken of in the New Testament, not just the Old Testament.

~Stacey

November 25th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy

I know you all aren't going to like my POV, but you posed the question, so I am going to answer it. You wondered who it would be hurting to allow homosexuals to marry. The answer for me would be that I don't want my children to see this as socially acceptable when the Bible says that it is not. I know that you have said that it is just "some book", but to me it is not.

Right,so gay people should not marry as you think it may send out the wrong message to your children.

You know what I do when I don't want my kids to see something as acceptable that others do? I talk to them,I tell them how we all feel differently and I tell them I don't think it is acceptable.Gay marriage does not have to be illegal for you to teach your children that.

I find it very sad that you don't want homosexuals to be allowed to marry because you are scared it will teach your children it is acceptable.You want them to suffer because you don't want your children to think it is OK?
November 25th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Wow, you make me out to be so aweful. Apparently, the majority of people in the states that have voted whether or not to make gay marriage legal agree with me. We do live in a democracy and I have the right to my opinion just like you have the right to yours.

Just so you know, I am not "afraid" of outside influences on my child. I talk to her about many things even now. She is only 2 1/2. You are suggesting that I tell her that I think that acting on homosexuality is a sin, but I'm sure you would say that I was spreading hate if I did so. What in the world am I left to do? I have my own convictions, as I'm sure you do as well.

~Stacey

November 25th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Yes, you are right about America being a "democracy" but we are also supposed to have the separation of Church and State, which it seems has disappeared. I don't understand why I or anyone else should be told they cannot do something because someone else's God or Bible says it is a sin.

*Edited because I can't spell to save my life.
November 25th, 2006, 06:48 PM
irishxrose
Quote:
Yes, you are right about America being a "democracy" but we are also supposed to have the separation of Church and State, which it seems has disappeared. I don't understand why I or anyone else should be told they can not doing something because someone else's God or Bible says it is a sin.[/b]
Exactly!

Dina... how would you feel if you weren't allowed to get married because of something you do? How would that make YOU feel?

It's the same thing. The United States is denying what should be a basic right to homosexuals. They deserve marriage just as much as you and your husband did, and for you to think otherwise... just astounds me. I don't care what the Bible says, you and others like you have NO RIGHT to impose that religious viewpoint on others. You can live by what the Bible says, but you don't have a right to impose it on anyone else.

I am sickened by this viewpoint. My stomach is turning into knots right now. I am just SICK that others feel they have the right to tell someone who they can and can't marry. Whatever happened to freedom?
November 25th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow! What a topic! So many things to say, I can't even gather my thoughts. I consider myself a Christian and I support gay rights and gay marriage whole-heartedly and without question. I don't understand the reasoning of saying homosexuality is a temptation; an urge or whimsy that one just needs to struggle with for a brief period of time and overcome. You cannot overcome homosexuality, it is a part of who you are. To tell a homosexual that their love for another man/woman is merely a temptation not to be taken seriously is not right. I realize that some people believe in the literal translation of the Bible, I respect their right to believe that. If it isn't obvious by now, I don't believe in the literal translation of the Bible because the Bible was written by man. This is why I believe in the separation of church and state. People's religious beliefs should not be dictating who and who should not marry.
November 26th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
She is only 2 1/2. You are suggesting that I tell her that I think that acting on homosexuality is a sin, but I'm sure you would say that I was spreading hate if I did so. What in the world am I left to do? I have my own convictions, as I'm sure you do as well.

I did not suggest you talk to your child about it at this young age.Would I accuse you of spreading hate? maybe. I am suggesting nothing but you think homosexuals getting married would teach your child ihomesexualitly is acceptable,I am simply pointing out that we do not have to ban gay marriage for you to teach your child that.

Andrika,I know what you mean I am a spiritualist,a lot of Christians have suggested I work for the devil,it is OK,ive no problems with that really,but if someone told me I could not marry because I work for the devil,therefore sinning,it would be like a knife going through my heart.

I happen to think god is all loving,and wants everyone to have the same rights,I happen to think he is disgusted right now about how homosexuals are treated.

People can say that they love homosexuals,they need love etc etc but when you refuse them such a beautiful thing-marriage,you are treating them like OUTCASTS,and I thought the Chrsitian religion promoted love.That is not love,it doesn't even come close.You can't love people and want to deny them what should be a human right just because they are attracted to the same sex.

AnnD you are a great example to Chrsitians I wish more people feel the way you do.

Apparently, the majority of people in the states that have voted whether or not to make gay marriage legal agree with me. We do live in a democracy and I have the right to my opinion just like you have the right to yours.

You have a right to your opinion,what you and no one else should have though is the right to impose your religion on the rest of the world.

Also,If god is the one who judges sin at the end of the day,why not let homosexuals get married and let THEM deal with gods consquences? what matters to you if they are sinning? they have to answer to god.

Also you say a sin is a sin,you also say that all sins are equal right? everyone is guiltly of sinning,yes? so maybe we should take some of your rights away then?

*general comments*

Keep your religion out of everyone elses life.I happen to think my religion is the right one but you will never ever find me telling people how to live their lifes because I think my way is right.

Just a cute story that made me so proud-for those who are for gay marriage.

My 7 yr old son came up to me yesterday and said "I know men and men and women and women can love each other but would they both wear wedding dresses at the wedding?" (remember he is 7 LOL) so we had a talk about it and I told him not many places allow homosexuals to get married because they think it is wrong.His reply was "But all they are doing is loving people just like you love T (my SO) its just love mum"

Thought it was great that my 7 yr old couldn't wrap his head around the fact that people think it is wrong.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search