Would you breastfeed someone elses child?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2007, 10:53 AM
Veteran
I have a friend who has a 6 month old little girl and a 19 month old boy. Her little boy has to start therapy (they suspect he has some form of autism) twice a week. I told her that I would watch the baby for her while she took him. The problem is, she is EBF and refuses to take a bottle. My friend suggested that if I was willing that I nurse her baby while I watch her.
I told her I'd think about it and get back to her by Friday. I am on the fence about it... I don't think it's gross or anything, just a little different.
Do you think a baby would even nurse from someone who isn't mom?
Are there any liability issues that I need to think about? I am not on any medications and I don't have any diseases or do drugs or smoke or anything...

Would you do it? Why or why not?

Thanks for any advice!!
Cadence~ 1/11/2007 2lbs 3ozs 13"

May 22nd, 2007, 10:56 AM
bright future's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would probably only consider it if it was a VERY close friend and she asked. I'd be more likely to consider it if it were an emergency-type situation. I'd never offer.
May 22nd, 2007, 11:39 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't see an issue with it at all.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 22nd, 2007, 12:17 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd do it... Why let the baby starve?

Quote:
Off topic, but how in the world to ya'all nurse and type at the same time? This has taken me almost 10 minutes to type. Is there a secret, or just practice?[/b]
Lol! Just practice... And for me, i end up typing one handed, so it takes me a LOT longer.
But i still manage! Gotta feed the online addiction too right?
May 22nd, 2007, 12:25 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Off topic, but how in the world to ya'all nurse and type at the same time? This has taken me almost 10 minutes to type. Is there a secret, or just practice?[/b]
LOL One word... BOPPY!!! It gets alot easier when they have better head control too!

May 22nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
*Aspen*
I was thinking EXACTLY this last night!! So weird!!!

Yes I would. I would even change my diet if need be (eating better can't hurt anyone anyways could it?).
May 23rd, 2007, 05:18 PM
Dayna1
I absolutely wouldn't. Not even for a close friend. I wouldn't want anyone nursing my child.
May 23rd, 2007, 10:02 PM
Veteran
I don't think I'd do it or want it done for my child. It would make me extremely uncomfortable. Can she pump and bring it in a bottle?
May 24th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I don't think I'd do it or want it done for my child. It would make me extremely uncomfortable. Can she pump and bring it in a bottle?[/b]
The OP said the baby won't take a bottle...
May 24th, 2007, 09:14 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm... if I was still lactating, I'd probably do it if my friend was comfortable with it. In an emergency situation there wouldn't even be a question, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I don't think I would want another woman to nurse my baby. If you don't feel comfortable nursing her baby, you could reccommend the Adiri breastbottle nurser here. It's expensive but probably worth it if the baby won't take a conventional bottle.
May 24th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I would do it if it came to that. I'd try every other option first, though, like cup or syringe feeding. But if it came down to nurse a friend's baby or let the kid scream because he's starving, I'd nurse him.

I was nursed once by my mom's friend. My dad had an emergency appendectomy. I did not eat solids yet and did not take a bottle and there was no time for my mom to express milk for me. So she and her friend agreed that if necessary the friend would nurse me (the friend had a son born 3 days after me).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 24th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
A few months ago, I would have said: "No way, not unless it was an emergency." But, I had the chance to care for another EBF baby for 8 hours and he wouldn't take a bottle. The poor thing cried and cried, I felt so terrible for him! Believe me, it crossed my mind about how easy it would be just to BF him right there. But, of course, I didn't. I would worry about legal implications too.
May 24th, 2007, 04:02 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
A few months ago, I would have said: "No way, not unless it was an emergency." But, I had the chance to care for another EBF baby for 8 hours and he wouldn't take a bottle. The poor thing cried and cried, I felt so terrible for him! Believe me, it crossed my mind about how easy it would be just to BF him right there. But, of course, I didn't. I would worry about legal implications too.[/b]
Do the parents know the baby won't take a bottle?
May 24th, 2007, 06:57 PM
donomama
I wouldn't do it in an everyday situation. I would probably do it in an emergency. During hurricane Katrina, I would watch the tv, cry and wish that I could BF those starving, dehydrated little babies.
May 24th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
A few months ago, I would have said: "No way, not unless it was an emergency." But, I had the chance to care for another EBF baby for 8 hours and he wouldn't take a bottle. The poor thing cried and cried, I felt so terrible for him! Believe me, it crossed my mind about how easy it would be just to BF him right there. But, of course, I didn't. I would worry about legal implications too.[/b]
Do the parents know the baby won't take a bottle?
[/b]
Yeah, she knew. She kept saying: "He'll take it if he gets hungry enough." He had taken bottles from his father just fine, he tends not to want to take them from women.
May 24th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Veteran
Quote:
During hurricane Katrina, I would watch the tv, cry and wish that I could BF those starving, dehydrated little babies. [/b]

I talked to my friend and we decided that she is going to come to my house a little early and nurse her DD. Then if she gets hungry before her mom gets back I'm going to offer her a bottle and if she totally refuses it then I will nurse her. We talked about it for a good while and we are both comfortable with it.

Thanks for the replies!
Lotus86 - My friend ordered some of those bottles! Thanks for the link!

May 24th, 2007, 10:44 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
Quote:
During hurricane Katrina, I would watch the tv, cry and wish that I could BF those starving, dehydrated little babies. [/b]

I talked to my friend and we decided that she is going to come to my house a little early and nurse her DD. Then if she gets hungry before her mom gets back I'm going to offer her a bottle and if she totally refuses it then I will nurse her. We talked about it for a good while and we are both comfortable with it.

Thanks for the replies!
Lotus86 - My friend ordered some of those bottles! Thanks for the link!
[/b]
Good for you! What a wonderful friend for helping out I am always freaking out wondering what would happen if I was in a wreck and in the hospital. What would happen to Kailey? How would she eat? I envision dh walking around the maternity ward begging someone to feed her LOL! Funny...but sad at the same time!
May 25th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would breastfeed someone elses baby...but I wouldn't let anyone breastfeed mine!
May 25th, 2007, 09:02 AM
jodi16ss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I would breastfeed someone elses baby...but I wouldn't let anyone breastfeed mine![/b]

Proud Mommy to Jackson (5/1/03) & Isabella (6/16/06)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search