MySpace Bulletin

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2007, 12:35 PM
tevinsangel
So, I got this in a myspace bulletin and figured, hey, I'll post it here. I'm sure it will stir the waters a bit and I'm very interested on people's opinions, views, etc. If this has already been posted, then forget this one and send me the link.

BULLETIN
Here's one woman who is telling it like it is...in her opinion!
Written by a housewife from New Jersey and sounds like it!

"Are we fighting a war on terror or aren't we? Was it or was it not started by Islamic people who brought it to our shores on September 11, 2001 ? Were people from all over the world, mostly Americans, not brutally murdered that day, in downtown Manhattan , across the Potomac from our nation's capitol and in a field in Pennsylvania ? Did nearly three thousand men, women and children die a horrible, burning or crushing death that day, or didn't they? And I'm supposed to care that a copy of the Koran was "desecrated" when an overworked American soldier kicked it or got it wet?...Well, I don't. I don't care at all.
I'll start caring when Osama bin Laden turns himself in and repents for incinerating all those innocent people on 9/11. I'll care about the Koran when the fanatics in the Middle East start caring about the Holy Bible, the mere possession of which is a crime in Saudi Arabia. I'll care when these thugs tell the world they are sorry for hacking off Nick Berg's head while Berg screamed through his gurgling slashed throat. I'll care when the cowardly so-called "insurgents" in Iraq come out and fight like men instead of disrespecting their own religion by hiding in mosques. I'll care when the mindless zealots who blow themselves up in search of Nirvana care about the innocent children within range of their suicide bombs. I'll care when the American media stops pretending that their First Amendment liberties are somehow derived from international law instead of the United States Constitution's Bill of Rights. In the meantime, when I hear a story about a brave Marine roughing up an Iraqi terrorist to obtain information, know this: I don't care. When I see a fuzzy photo of a pile of naked Iraqi prisoners who have been humiliated in what amounts to a college-hazing incident, rest assured: I don't care. When I see a wounded terrorist get shot in the head when he is told not to move because he might be booby-trapped, you can take it to the bank: I don't care. When I hear that a prisoner, who was issued a Koran and a prayer mat, and fed "special" food that is paid for by my tax dollars, is complaining that his holy book is being "mishandled," you can absolutely believe in your heart of hearts: I don't care. And oh, by the way, I've noticed that sometimes it's spelled "Koran" and other times "Quran." Well, Jimmy Crack Corn and -you guessed it -I don't care ! ! ! ! ! If you agree with this viewpoint, pass this on to all your e-mail friends. Sooner or later, it'll get to the people responsible for this ridiculous behavior! If you don't agree, then by all means hit the delete button. Should you choose the latter, then please don't complain when more atrocities committed by radical Muslims happen here in our great country! And may I add: "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem" - Ronald Reagan. I have another quote that I would like to add AND.......I hope you forward all of this. "If we ever forget that we're One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under" also by...Ronald Reagan. One last thought for the day: In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the anti-American sentiment and negativity, we should remember England 's Prime Minister Tony Blair's words during a recent interview. When asked by one of his Parliament members why he believes so much in America , he said:"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ 2. The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

Please note: I did not write this originally and I am not sure if the "quotes" by Ronald Reagan or Tony Blair are valid.
May 22nd, 2007, 12:42 PM
*Aspen*
A tad distasteful, but if she's that bitter I understand.

I don't know if I agree with it or not.
May 22nd, 2007, 12:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So we should have a complete lack of respect for the Islamic culture and religion and disregard peoples basic human rights just because that's what they do?

If we did that we would be no better than the terrorists.
May 22nd, 2007, 12:55 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

Ugh... I'll let one of the ladies who is better at this tear that thing apart, since i'm nursing right now, and don't want to deal with it. But that attitude BUGS me. Fine, don't care about others... only yourself, right? Selfish, selfish, selfish... Oh, and she seems to be mixing up a whole bunch of SEPARATE issues. Iraq and 9/11 have NOTHING to do with eachother!

Grr... Okay, i'm done. For now at least.
May 22nd, 2007, 01:00 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Again... this is why other countries hate us. Our complete lack of empathy for anyone else.

"I'll care about the Koran when the fanatics in the Middle East start caring about the Holy Bible, the mere possession of which is a crime in Saudi Arabia. " So... unless someone cares about the bible, she won't care? Thats a bit.... harsh.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 22nd, 2007, 01:17 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
Written by a housewife from New Jersey and sounds like it![/b]
Well we are intitled to our opinions. I would love to debate her's though.

BTW, do we know if it really was a housewife in New Jersey? Would anyone be offended or would you be proud to be classified that way based on this opinion?
May 22nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
tevinsangel
I have no idea if it was really written by a housewife in New Jersey. As far as the term "housewife" goes, if I did not have kids, I'd rather just be called a wife or really, just called by my name. lol...I don't know..it just makes a woman sound so 1950's...that' just me though. I have a friend who is a mother to 5 kids and she refers to herself as a housewife, in fact she wears the term quite proudly lol.
May 22nd, 2007, 04:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It is really hateful in my opinion. She is claiming that only her way is right. I don't agree with the Al Quida "holy wars", but then again, I am not the one who has been taught its "correctness" my whole life. I feel sorry for those who have been taught messages of hate, I don't go around and say "I don't care." I do care. I care about the people that commit the atrocities just as much as I care about the victims of them, especially since many times they are victims too, just in another sense. If you (general) had been raised in a home and taught to hate America could you (general) really be any different? Sometimes they really believe it is right- not saying that it is, but as a Christian I feel worse for their souls then for any innocent people that die at their hands. And as for the mentions of the cruelty done by our soldiers to any captives that is so hypocritical. We can be cruel and preform atrocities to them if they have done it to us? Is that the right kind of attitude? I think of WWII and the few German people who were just as much in bondage as the Jews by the laws of their own government and forced into the army. I don't begin to say that every German citizen during that time was just as bad as those who gassed millions of Jews because it is simply not true. If she doesn't want them to be hateful, she is sure showing a very poor example. She wants them to respect the Bible when she doesn't respect the Koran? Doesn't the Bible teach love and turning the other cheek? Just by what she says she shows her own disbelief and disrespect of the very book she claims to care about. She is the one with the supposed belief so she should say and practice what it preaches. Obviously others don't practice their own teachings, but that does not justify her in any way to not follow hers.

The point is of course these atrocities are sad and hard to deal with, but as a Christian, as a person and as an American she SHOULD care! She should care that she is spouting the very hateful words that they preach to their own children about us. If she wants to change the world she needs to start with herself and maybe start with forgiveness instead of malice. Compassion for the many victims in war, including those who commit the crimes- since they are victims of their society. She needs to start teaching empathy for others religions before she starts demanding respect for her own. And if she truly is grateful for Jesus Christ and the American G.I. she needs to remember that Jesus died not just for her, but for them as well and that most G.I.s believe they are fighting also for the freedom of the very people she "doesn't care" about.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 23rd, 2007, 08:33 AM
Ms.Michelle
May 23rd, 2007, 09:06 AM
CJMOM209
I for one totally agree with a lot of what this says. I don't think she's being disrepectful or hateful at all, I think many more Americans are being hateful when they degrade our president and our troops. From the words of a U.S. marine "How can people say they support me, but not my mission?"
May 23rd, 2007, 10:50 AM
ChasingClio's Avatar Super Mommy
That attitude makes me sick. No wonder some people see the War on Terror as a War on Islam. I think the only way to truly win a war on terror is TO CARE, to care a lot, and to help people, in addition to whatever military measures are necessary. I, for one, don't want the US to be stereotyped into a country of close minded, uncaring people like this woman in the way that she stereotypes the Middle East.
May 23rd, 2007, 11:07 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
That's quite a diatribe. I feel sorry for the woman who is so bitter she wrote all that hate. She has some points that are correct, but the way she writes it makes her look only like an "ugly American". Her hate is so apparent it kills my agreement with her even on her correct points. It's her attitude more than anything that I find to be sick.

FWIW, I googled the quotes and while they appear a bit taken out of context, the Reagan ones are completely accurate. The Tony Blair one, however, is slightly an urban legend, though he did, in 2003, say something similar. http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/blair.asp

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 23rd, 2007, 11:20 AM
tevinsangel
Quote:
That's quite a diatribe. I feel sorry for the woman who is so bitter she wrote all that hate. She has some points that are correct, but the way she writes it makes her look only like an "ugly American". Her hate is so apparent it kills my agreement with her even on her correct points. It's her attitude more than anything that I find to be sick.

FWIW, I googled the quotes and while they appear a bit taken out of context, the Reagan ones are completely accurate. The Tony Blair one, however, is slightly an urban legend, though he did, in 2003, say something similar. http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/blair.asp[/b]
Thanks for finding out if the quotes were real, I kind of wondered about the Tony Blair one myself lol.
May 23rd, 2007, 11:40 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
Quote:

BTW, do we know if it really was a housewife in New Jersey? Would anyone be offended or would you be proud to be classified that way based on this opinion?
[/b]

I am currently a housewife in New Jersey! I am a bit offended that they make that sound like a bad thing!

I understand how this woman feels. I don't necessarily think it is right. When our soldiers are captured I am sure very little respect is shown for their religion by their captors. I believe we should have respect for their religion but they should respect ours as well. Two wrongs don't make a right and all of that but it is hard to continue doing the "right thing" when it is never reciprocated.

To frgsonmysox, this may be one of the reasons that other countries hate us but have you ever asked yourself why those same countries don't hate or fight against the terrorists who refuse to respect any religion but their own. People come into our country from all over the world and they are given religious freedom. They are free to promote and practice their religion. Yet, how many times have you heard of Christian groups from the U.S. and other countries going to the middle east only to be arrested for practicing or spreading the word of their religion? Funny how it always turns out to be a gang up and hate Americans thing because we supposedly don't respect other religions. If that were true why do so many foreigners continue to flock to our country?

May 23rd, 2007, 11:54 AM
CJMOM209
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]

I am currently a housewife in New Jersey! I am a bit offended that they make that sound like a bad thing!

I understand how this woman feels. I don't necessarily think it is right. When our soldiers are captured I am sure very little respect is shown for their religion by their captors. I believe we should have respect for their religion but they should respect ours as well. Two wrongs don't make a right and all of that but it is hard to continue doing the "right thing" when it is never reciprocated.

To frgsonmysox, this may be one of the reasons that other countries hate us but have you ever asked yourself why those same countries don't hate or fight against the terrorists who refuse to respect any religion but their own. People come into our country from all over the world and they are given religious freedom. They are free to promote and practice their religion. Yet, how many times have you heard of Christian groups from the U.S. and other countries going to the middle east only to be arrested for practicing or spreading the word of their religion? Funny how it always turns out to be a gang up and hate Americans thing because we supposedly don't respect other religions. If that were true why do so many foreigners continue to flock to our country?
[/b]

Well said! I was thinking along the same lines of these, but I could have never said it so well!
May 23rd, 2007, 12:45 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
I understand how this woman feels. I don't necessarily think it is right. When our soldiers are captured I am sure very little respect is shown for their religion by their captors. I believe we should have respect for their religion but they should respect ours as well. Two wrongs don't make a right and all of that but it is hard to continue doing the "right thing" when it is never reciprocated.[/b]
This is perspective. Do we really respect their religion? How many soldiers know how to treat a muslim woman? I've heard of them being grabbed (you don't touch muslim women) yet people don't see the harm in it. To us, religious freedom means reading. To them religious freedom is way more.

Quote:
To frgsonmysox, this may be one of the reasons that other countries hate us but have you ever asked yourself why those same countries don't hate or fight against the terrorists who refuse to respect any religion but their own. People come into our country from all over the world and they are given religious freedom. They are free to promote and practice their religion. Yet, how many times have you heard of Christian groups from the U.S. and other countries going to the middle east only to be arrested for practicing or spreading the word of their religion? Funny how it always turns out to be a gang up and hate Americans thing because we supposedly don't respect other religions. If that were true why do so many foreigners continue to flock to our country?[/b]
Are you kidding me? They fight those terrorists every day! Including Saddam Hussian! The US advantage speaks for itself which is why so many foreigners go there as well as to other free countries. We get mad when an immigrant breaks a law but there are many Christian groups knowingly break theirs by promoting their religion. Funny how we forget all of that though, eh?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search