SUV Danger

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2007, 07:44 PM
CJMOM209
Tonight on the local news they were talking about the danger of SUVs because of the huge blind spot they have in the front. We actually own two SUVs and it kind of scared me a little bit to hear the startling stats about how many children are killed accidently by SUVs. We have a Dodge Durango which has one of the worst blind spots. I'm always careful about making sure that I can see my son when I pull out and if he even moves an inch from where I tell him to stand I stop the car. But I am a worry wart mother and I know other people (including my DH) are not that cautious around him. I think it is time that car companies start taking the time and little extra money to install beeping devices in vehicles such as SUVs to insure the safety of our children. I am pretty sure that it can be done. I would pay the extra money to ensure the safety of my child. What do you all think?
May 23rd, 2007, 07:45 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
Tonight on the local news they were talking about the danger of SUVs because of the huge blind spot they have in the front. We actually own two SUVs and it kind of scared me a little bit to hear the startling stats about how many children are killed accidently by SUVs. We have a Dodge Durango which has one of the worst blind spots. I'm always careful about making sure that I can see my son when I pull out and if he even moves an inch from where I tell him to stand I stop the car. But I am a worry wart mother and I know other people (including my DH) are not that cautious around him. I think it is time that car companies start taking the time and little extra money to install beeping devices in vehicles such as SUVs to insure the safety of our children. I am pretty sure that it can be done. I would pay the extra money to ensure the safety of my child. What do you all think?[/b]
I think it should be done on all vehicles.
May 23rd, 2007, 07:48 PM
CJMOM209
Quote:
Quote:
Tonight on the local news they were talking about the danger of SUVs because of the huge blind spot they have in the front. We actually own two SUVs and it kind of scared me a little bit to hear the startling stats about how many children are killed accidently by SUVs. We have a Dodge Durango which has one of the worst blind spots. I'm always careful about making sure that I can see my son when I pull out and if he even moves an inch from where I tell him to stand I stop the car. But I am a worry wart mother and I know other people (including my DH) are not that cautious around him. I think it is time that car companies start taking the time and little extra money to install beeping devices in vehicles such as SUVs to insure the safety of our children. I am pretty sure that it can be done. I would pay the extra money to ensure the safety of my child. What do you all think?[/b]
I think it should be done on all vehicles.
[/b]

I agree. I was just mentioning SUVs in particular because of the blind spot in the front of the car. The blind spot in the front of an SUV is much larger than in most cars.
May 23rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I say we ban SUVs altogether! They're bad for the environment anyway!

May 24th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Sugar+Spicex3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
SUVs are no more a danger to the environment than mini-vans and pickup trucks. How many of you ladies drive mini-vans &/or your husband has a pickup truck?

Mini-vans have an MPG of 17-20, Pollution rating of 6, Greenhouse Emission rating of 8-10 tons.
Full-size pickup trucks have an MPG of 15-19 with a Pollution rating of 6, Greenhouse emission rating of 8-11 tons.
SUVs (not counting hybrids) have an MPG of 15-20, pollution rating of 6, Greenhouse emission rating of 6-10 tons.

Certainly, the SUV class is not consistent in their MPG, pollution ratings or Greenhouse emission ratings. A few are alot worse than any other vehicle. But most SUVs are no worse or no better than mini-vans and pickup trucks. SUV hybrids are by far the best in fuel economy and emission ratings than any other vehicle of its size. Mini-vans are not offered in hybrids yet. Trucks and mini-vans are offered with flex fuel (E85) but, shockingly, the fuel economy for E85 fuel is much lower than gasoline.

If you want to research this yourself, www.fueleconomy.gov and search by class. I searched for this year's models in SUVs, mini-vans, and pickup trucks... but every class and year is there for research.

My mid-size SUV does have "obstacle" censors, btw.

</div>
May 24th, 2007, 04:58 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
I'm not a fan of any gigantic car for various reasons (and nope, we don't drive one, either lol), but unlike minivans and pick-ups, SUVs are the ones I see barreling down the parkway at 100MPH in the rain or snow. I wonder if the tendency to be reckless in the "unstoppable vehicle" has anything to do with the number of kids killed.
May 24th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Quote:
Mini-vans have an MPG of 17-20[/b]
Guess no one told my Sienna it shouldn't get 22 mpg then.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 24th, 2007, 05:30 AM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a Mazda Tribute and it's one of the smaller SUVs on the market. I actually have less of a blind spot with my Tribute than I did when driving a Chevrolet Aveo. Although I have driven a majority of SUVs on the market and noticed the Tahoe had the worst blind spot.

</div>
May 24th, 2007, 06:21 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree not all SUVs are created equal. I always swore up and down I'd never own an SUV after driving a Jeep Cherokee, Ford Explorer, and Nissan Pathfinder. Awful to drive! I now own an Acura MDX. Changed my mind about SUVs! Incidentally, the blindspot in the back of the MDX (because I've heard of incidents where people back up over kids) is much smaller than the one in my brother's little hatchback thanks to the rotating mirrors. I've never felt I had a big blindspot in the front, but I could be wrong. I'll pay closer attention to it.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
May 24th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ideally all cars should be equipped with beepers, a camera on the back so you can see what you are backing up into and tons of airbags. But, I doubt it will ever happen. I don't like to say never but I don't plan on ever buying an SUV....I would get a mini-van before an SUV.
May 24th, 2007, 06:49 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
I agree, ALL vehicles should have these censors. I actually have a larger blind spot in front of our Chevy car than I do in our SUV because the seats are set so low, I feel like the car is swallowing me

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 24th, 2007, 09:34 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
It's not the vehicle's fault for kids getting hit by SUVs (or any vehicle), it's the driver for not checking ad the parent for not keeping the child close. Why is the child ANYWHERE near a vehicle that is in motion or about to be? I have an Explorer (not my vehicle of choice, it was cheap from hubbys cousin) and I don't find I can see any less than when I am driving my Dad's Caravan. If studies show the blind spot is more fine, it's a good thing I am careful. I don't allow my children even off the front steps if their Dad or someone is going to be leaving or coming in the driveway. And in parking lots, they stand right next to me so they are not at risk of being hit by a careless driver. Don't blame the vehicle. Kids should not be playing in areas where cars are -period.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

May 24th, 2007, 10:16 AM
CJMOM209
Ideally...this would make sense. However, a lot of drivers (especially those without children) don't think about the danger they are causing or can cause by not being careful and/or not watching for children. I'm very careful as well, but I can't say that everyone who pulls in to our driveway where my child is playing will be as careful and sometimes kids can get away from you in parking lots no matter how watchful you are. I'm very watchful and vigilant, but my husband isn't as much. It would actually not be that expensive for car companies to add sensors in to all vehicles....I remember seeing something where they said how expensive it would be, but I can't remember the exact quote...I believe less than 10 dollars, but I could be wrong. Noone is blaming the vehicles, I just think car companies could do something to help deter these tragic deaths.
May 24th, 2007, 10:54 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I don't think a driveway is a safe place for a child to be playing. We played in ours as kids - and one of my friemds was backed over - by his own Dad (he was fortunately ok). The memory of that is what cemented my decision to not allow our children to play in ours. Lately they have been wanting a larger area to chalk on. The driveway would be perfect, but not safe. Some kids only have a driveway to play in. Their parents could purchase a couple of orange road cones and place them at the end of their driveway to keep cars from pulling inwhere their child is playing. That's what I would do.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

May 24th, 2007, 11:08 AM
CJMOM209
I just don't see the driveway as the issue...my son rides his bike and four wheeler in the driveway(we have a long driveway), because they won't move in the grass and he's not allowed in the street. However, he doesn't play baseball or anything else in the driveway...some activities (basketball) are made for the driveway. What about at other kids houses or as mentioned before in parking lots? Even the most careful mother cannot always protect her children, that is why we need to work on doing things such as putting sensors on vehicles. To me it's just a little step to help save some kids.
May 24th, 2007, 11:23 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Those censors are annoying. When we were flying somewhere our plane got canceled, so we decided to rent a car and drive. The rental had one of those beepy things. HOLY COW, every time you backed up or went forward slowly the thing would beep. I would NOT want one of those on my everyday car. They're not very accurate, either - they'd beep for a parked car when it was 30 feet away.
May 26th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I say we ban SUVs altogether! They're bad for the environment anyway! [/b]
The problem is, some people DO need SUVs...

As for the sensors, i don't see anything wrong with them really, but i think common sense should also be coming into play. If people were more careful, and aware of their surroundings and their children, i bet these accidents would be far rarer. But that's just my guess... Maybe i'm wrong.
May 26th, 2007, 07:39 PM
CJMOM209
Quote:
Quote:
I say we ban SUVs altogether! They're bad for the environment anyway! [/b]
The problem is, some people DO need SUVs...

As for the sensors, i don't see anything wrong with them really, but i think common sense should also be coming into play. If people were more careful, and aware of their surroundings and their children, i bet these accidents would be far rarer. But that's just my guess... Maybe i'm wrong.
[/b]

The problem is many people lack common sense and they aren't careful at all.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search