Juice for Babies

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2007, 01:46 PM
*Aspen*
Do you give your baby/kid juice? Do you agree with juice? Do you think it's bad? Thoughts opinions...
May 24th, 2007, 02:08 PM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have a baby yet, but...

I babysat a little girl several times a week from when she was an infant until 2 years old. I gave her diluted apple juice (half water and half applejuice) and she loved it. It stopped her from being constipated and helped her have regular bowel movements.

I guess I'm a little clueless as to why people don't think juice is okay for little ones. Too much sugar? Clue me in please.

</div>
May 24th, 2007, 02:18 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm against it. If they want something other than Formula/BM to drink whats wrong with water? If its too bland, add a twist of lemon but then again if that's all they've had they are not going to know any different. Too much juice can lead to tooth decay and as its full of sugar, obesity. Once a baby is eating solids they would be eating fruit and veggies anyways so its not needed to stop constipation.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

May 24th, 2007, 02:21 PM
donomama
For us, juice is a "treat," not an everyday thing. They occasionally can have it when we're out to eat or having a special meal or something. I don't normally stock it in my house. Even then, I often dilute it with half water. It's just a lot of sugar and calories that they don't really need. It's much healthier for them to eat an apple than to have apple juice.
May 24th, 2007, 02:25 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
What age babies are we talking about, what type of juice, and how much? The answers to those questions make all the difference to me. But, in general, I do not think that fruit juice is the healthiest choice for most children (or adults). Partly because there is too much sugar, partly because store-bought juice is so overly processed, and also because it is practically devoid of real nutrition.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

May 24th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
The first time I gave my oldest juice she was around 16 months and it was carrot juice. No, no juice for my babies.
G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08 | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.17.18.

May 24th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We give Brody juice. We mix it with water. Sometimes he gets just water, sometimes he gets milk. I see nothing wrong with it. I TRY to brush his teeth every night. (I'm bad about remembering)

May 24th, 2007, 02:51 PM
LaceyMommy2B
Gracey gets juice for her constipation n when its hot outside, sometimes she just wants something other than formula and the dr said no water ?? not sure why, but thats what i was told sooo.. ? now when shes constipated i feed her prunes instead of prune juice, but she still gets juice about twice a week i guess. she has no teeth yet, and shes in the 10th % for weight.. im not seeing it as an issue right now..
May 24th, 2007, 02:55 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anthony was 2 or so before he started regularly getting juice. Normally I would do a full cup of water with a teaspoon of juice for flavor. Too much juice and he gets really bad diarrhea.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 24th, 2007, 03:04 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I'm against it. If they want something other than Formula/BM to drink whats wrong with water? If its too bland, add a twist of lemon but then again if that's all they've had they are not going to know any different. Too much juice can lead to tooth decay and as its full of sugar, obesity. Once a baby is eating solids they would be eating fruit and veggies anyways so its not needed to stop constipation. [/b]
Oftenttimes solids will cause constipation, so I'm not sure I see what you mean in your last sentence. The Juice will help with the constipation, not to actual solid fruit or veggie, but I could be totally off here. I know my cousin was told to give their little one a little bit of juice each day for his constipation problem. As long as it isn't done in excess I don't see the problem. I rarely give London water, and I don't feel it is a good substitute for juice. They get plenty of water in formula bottles. Infants don't need extra water. London gets a little bit of juice daily diluted heavily with water for awhile, then we up the ratio gradually. Obviously substituting water or juice for formule or breastmilk is not a good idea. But if done properly I don't see any harm.
ETA: I am talking about infant juice here, not regular adult juice. There is a huge difference.

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014

May 24th, 2007, 03:10 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
EH. lol Everything in moderation, I say.

Julia actually won't drink juice, I think she's had about a tablespoon of apple juice her entire life, and she's 20 months old! I'm nervous about giving her fruit, anyway, because I'm allergic to them. Sucky allergy.
May 24th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We don't do juice. There's no real reason why we don't. I don't drink it so we don't keep it in the house. Thus, no juice. She's had it on a couple of occasions and seemed to enjoy it but she is just as quick to take water as she is to take juice.

In short, we drink water when we're thirsty.

I don't like the idea of giving juice to babies before they start solids. After that, I think diluted juice is more appropriate than full-strength juice and generally, water is the better option. But I don't have any major problems with juice and I don't condemn parents who give it to their children.

May 24th, 2007, 03:18 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All of my kids hated juice. My middle one enjoys Wild Cherry juice but that is it. It actually is not working with classroom parties because the usual is some sort of juice as the beverage. I did not plan it that way so I am not taking credit on being a anti- everything the world says is bad - mom. I have no issues with juice myself.
May 24th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Tofu Bacon
None of us are really juice-drinkers; too much extra sugar. Ds like Vitamin Water better anyway
May 24th, 2007, 03:38 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
I'm against it. If they want something other than Formula/BM to drink whats wrong with water? If its too bland, add a twist of lemon but then again if that's all they've had they are not going to know any different. Too much juice can lead to tooth decay and as its full of sugar, obesity. Once a baby is eating solids they would be eating fruit and veggies anyways so its not needed to stop constipation. [/b]
Oftenttimes solids will cause constipation, so I'm not sure I see what you mean in your last sentence. The Juice will help with the constipation, not to actual solid fruit or veggie, but I could be totally off here. I know my cousin was told to give their little one a little bit of juice each day for his constipation problem. As long as it isn't done in excess I don't see the problem. I rarely give London water, and I don't feel it is a good substitute for juice. They get plenty of water in formula bottles. Infants don't need extra water. London gets a little bit of juice daily diluted heavily with water for awhile, then we up the ratio gradually. Obviously substituting water or juice for formule or breastmilk is not a good idea. But if done properly I don't see any harm.
ETA: I am talking about infant juice here, not regular adult juice. There is a huge difference.
[/b]
Fruits and veggies are naturally full of fibre and its the fibre that stops constipation. Introducing food too soon or in to great an amount can cause constipation as can baby cereal that is iron fortified.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

May 24th, 2007, 03:47 PM
chlodoll
I think some juice after a year is fine. Before that they should be getting as much breastmilk/formula as possible. DS only like orange juice and I buy the good kind for him haha
May 24th, 2007, 03:52 PM
CJMOM209
Some juice is fine. But I caution you to not do what I did. Caleb never went to bed with a bottle, but I did give him juice anytime he wanted it because he would not drink anything else at all, not even milk and I was afraid of dehydration. But I am paying for it now....next month he will have 1300 dollars worth of teeth work done (and that's a lot where I live) even though I have brushed his teeth twice daily since he's had them! The culprit...too much juice!
May 24th, 2007, 05:12 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't do juice in our household. We see it as empty calories, and excess sugar.

From the American Association of Pediatrics

<a href="http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;107/5/1210" target="_blank">http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/c...rics;107/5/1210 ://http://aappolicy.aappublications.or...s;107/5/1210 </a>

Quote:
CONCLUSIONS

1. Fruit juice offers no nutritional benefit for infants younger than 6 months.
2. Fruit juice offers no nutritional benefits over whole fruit for infants older than 6 months and children.
3. One hundred percent fruit juice or reconstituted juice can be a healthy part of the diet when consumed as part of a well-balanced diet. Fruit drinks, however, are not nutritionally equivalent to fruit juice.
4. Juice is not appropriate in the treatment of dehydration or management of diarrhea.
5. Excessive juice consumption may be associated with malnutrition (overnutrition and undernutrition).
6. Excessive juice consumption may be associated with diarrhea, flatulence, abdominal distention, and tooth decay.
7. Unpasteurized juice may contain pathogens that can cause serious illnesses.
8. A variety of fruit juices, provided in appropriate amounts for a child's age, are not likely to cause any significant clinical symptoms.
9. Calcium-fortified juices provide a bioavailable source of calcium but lack other nutrients present in breast milk, formula, or cow's milk.

RECOMMENDATIONS

1. Juice should not be introduced into the diet of infants before 6 months of age.
2. Infants should not be given juice from bottles or easily transportable covered cups that allow them to consume juice easily throughout the day. Infants should not be given juice at bedtime.
3. Intake of fruit juice should be limited to 4 to 6 oz/d for children 1 to 6 years old. For children 7 to 18 years old, juice intake should be limited to 8 to 12 oz or 2 servings per day.
4. Children should be encouraged to eat whole fruits to meet their recommended daily fruit intake.
5. Infants, children, and adolescents should not consume unpasteurized juice.
6. In the evaluation of children with malnutrition (overnutrition and undernutrition), the health care provider should determine the amount of juice being consumed.
7. In the evaluation of children with chronic diarrhea, excessive flatulence, abdominal pain, and bloating, the health care provider should determine the amount of juice being consumed.
8. In the evaluation of dental caries, the amount and means of juice consumption should be determined.
9. Pediatricians should routinely discuss the use of fruit juice and fruit drinks and should educate parents about differences between the two.[/b]

May 24th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We gave our kids a 50/50 mix of apple juice and water when they hit six months old. It was only once a day, a small amount, and just to give them a little variety (our ped recommended it). But we shy away from juice in general, just because there's so much sugar in it. My kids are 4 and 8 now, and the only juice they usually get is orange juice (once a day). Otherwise it's milk, water, or sugar-free iced tea or lemonade. They very rarely get apple juice or sugar-laden drinks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search