Childrens Teeth *Brushing*

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2007, 05:13 PM
*Aspen*
I was planning on starting this alongside the juice thread, because I knew the two kind of tie into each other.

When should children start having their teeth brushed? When should they start going to the Dentist? Is it necessary for children to brush or go to the dentist unless they start getting their adult teeth? WDYT?
May 24th, 2007, 05:40 PM
CJMOM209
I think they should start going as soon as they have a few teeth...I took my son at around 2 when I noticed a bad tooth and I wish I would have taken him sooner. But I started brushing as soon as he got teeth...obviously very gently.
May 24th, 2007, 05:44 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
I haven't taken DD to the dentist yet, she's 20 months. I had no idea I was supposed to. I in fact asked her ped. about it and she said not to worry about it yet. I brush her teeth every night though. I want to know why any company would think apple toothpaste would be a good idea lol That's the kind that came with her First Years toothbrush. Weird...
May 24th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
I started brushing my children's teeth as soon as they got them. I took DD to the dentist the first time at 2 years old and she just went back last year and has zero cavities.

May 24th, 2007, 06:06 PM
EmilysMommy04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got baby toothpaste and a gum sponge for Emily when she was 2 weeks old. I cleaned her gums after she ate. When her teeth came in we got her a baby brush and I brushed her teeth in the morning and at night time. I still do this she is now 3 and she knows after breakfast she gets her teeth brushed and b4 bed she does to. The same with Sierra. Teaching good habits is not a bad thing. I really dont want my child running around with rotten baby teeth its gross and not very sanitary. JMO

May 24th, 2007, 07:19 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
I start brushing whenever baby is getting food other than breastmilk or when the first teeth are in. Definitely before a year old. Our dentist in AL didn't recommend routine cleanings for kids younger than 3. I teach the kids to floss about the time they start loosing baby teeth and getting new ones. The health of baby teeth is important, too. You don't loose all your baby teeth until around the age of 12.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

May 24th, 2007, 07:22 PM
donomama
DD, who is 4, brushes twice a day. She has for years. I often forget to brush DS's teeth (he's 14 months). I'm ashamed to say that I haven't sent DD to the dentist yet. I hardly go myself. I have never had a cavity, and DH has only one. I'm hoping that she gets our good genes, but I need to take her.
May 24th, 2007, 07:29 PM
CJMOM209
Quote:
DD, who is 4, brushes twice a day. She has for years. I often forget to brush DS's teeth (he's 14 months). I'm ashamed to say that I haven't sent DD to the dentist yet. I hardly go myself. I have never had a cavity, and DH has only one. I'm hoping that she gets our good genes, but I need to take her.[/b]
Genetics has a lot to do with it...my family has horrible teeth and I have several cavities even though I brush all the time...that's why I have made a huge effort to take care of my son's teeth.
May 24th, 2007, 07:35 PM
donomama
Quote:
Quote:
DD, who is 4, brushes twice a day. She has for years. I often forget to brush DS's teeth (he's 14 months). I'm ashamed to say that I haven't sent DD to the dentist yet. I hardly go myself. I have never had a cavity, and DH has only one. I'm hoping that she gets our good genes, but I need to take her.[/b]
Genetics has a lot to do with it...my family has horrible teeth and I have several cavities even though I brush all the time...that's why I have made a huge effort to take care of my son's teeth.
[/b]

I hope so, but it's no excuse - I should still take her in. Today was her last day of school, so I have no excuse now.... I'll make an appointment tomorrow!
May 24th, 2007, 07:53 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I start brushing their teeth as soon as they get some and I do not take them to the dentist until they are 3.
May 24th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Funny enough, I just bought Em some infant gum cleaner tonight. My mom has been a peds nurse for 30+ years and is sitting next to me, she said kids need to be taken to the dentist at age 1.
May 24th, 2007, 08:13 PM
LaceyMommy2B
ill take gracey when tricare says i can..in the mean time, once she gets teeth-i'll brush.

DH has had lots of cavities despite brushing n regular dentist visits, i have only had one up til i was 20 (last year) n i didnt even get that one til i was 18, then i went to the dentist in Dec, and i have 3 more!! when they took my braces off a few years ago (i got them later than usual), they took off some of my enamel.. it didnt cause any damage til i got preggo-i guess i didnt get enough calcium despite taking all the prenatals (that or all the puking i did took more of the enamel off) n my teeth got weak where the brackets were n now i have cavities.. :'(
May 24th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I started brushing DD's teeth with a finger toothbrush and water when she was just a couple of months old. I started using infant toothpaste when she cut her first tooth (4 months) and switched to a regular infant/toddler toothbrush when she was around 6 or 7 months old, I think.

I don't think you can ever start the brushing habit too early.

We'll start taking her to the dentist between her second and third birthday unless a problem arises beforehand. This is at the recommendation of both my dentist and DD's pediatrician - as well as some "field research" (a.k.a., asking around ) I have done on my own.

May 24th, 2007, 09:22 PM
chlodoll
I am the total worst! I didnt start till after he was a year old. Now we try to brush twice a day! I dont think they need to see the dentist until maybe 2-3. I think before then they would probably just freak out.
May 24th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Im going to say as soon as the frist one comes in, they might still fall out but they still need to be prushed at a young age.

</div>

</div>
May 24th, 2007, 09:30 PM
mommyKathyX3
Julia and Chloe just had thier first dentist apt at 6 and 4 yrs old. (bad me) The dentist said thier teeth were near perfect though, and honestly, niether of them are big teeth brushers. I'm a bad mom cause I dont push it more, but Julia brushes her teeth before school because of bad breath, and sometimes in the morning on weekends, and maybe 5 out of the 7 nights a week I make sure they brush thier teeth at night. I'm so not consistant. I KNOW I should be, but my parents never made a big deal when I was a kid and I've NEVER had a cavety. I now brush my teeth at night every night, but as a kid I would go by months without brushing my teeth. I guess we are really lucky to get the good teeth geans. Now I feel guilty.

ETA, I probably didnt start brushing thier teeth until close to a year and a half old or 2 cause they were also late teethers. I KNOW I should have done it sooner, but yet again, I failed at mommyness.
May 24th, 2007, 09:38 PM
chlodoll
I definitely think its alot to do with genes because my husband is the worst at taking care of his teeth and he has never ever had a cavity. I acutally brush mine on a regular basis lol and I have lost count of all the fillings I have had. My Dad has had dentures since he was like 40 and I am pretty sure I got his teeth!
May 24th, 2007, 10:41 PM
*Aspen*
I've been brushing Kaileys teeth ever since she got them. She gets a bath and then while I put lotion and clothes on her she is chomping away at her toothbrush that she LOVES. If Alyssa sees Kailey's toothbrush she runs for it and starts brushing her teeth. LOL! Of course I take it away and clean it. Both girls love brushing their teeth.

Dh had horrible parents growing up. They did not take care of their kids and his teeth are horrible. He just had a tooth pulled about 2 months ago because it was rotting away and he had another one pulled two days ago. His left side of his face is swollen. It was infected and in his gums...horrible. He brushes and flosses and rinses, but the damage has already been done. Because of seeing how not taking care of your teeth can really be a big mess, I've become more anal about my teeth. I'm now flossing. I used to not do it at all. I don't do it enough now, but at least I'm trying. I don't use mouth wash though...makes me gag.
May 24th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Frozendesire's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I rub Curtis' gums with a warm wash cloth every night (Sometimes I forget though). I want him to get used to having something put in to his mouth. It's all part of his nightly routine. He gets a bath then a rubdown of lotion and then I rub his gums, sometimes I'll leave it in there for a little while and he'll chew away. I just want him to get used to it and sorta expect it.

Me and hubby are HORRIBLE at taking care of our teeth so it's the least I can do to make sure that he has good habits But again it's only at night... perhapse when he's a bit older and eating solids I will introduce a gum rub in the morning/afternoon.

I will look into a dentist at around 1 year.

May 25th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have started brushing Leos teeth already, and he only has 2!!! He absolutely loves it. But his dad has really, REALLY bad teeth. Mine on the other hand are perfect. I have enver ahd a cavity and I brush and floss daily. Hopefully he will develop good oral hygeine habits early on so he doesnt end up like his dad in that department

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search