Trampolines

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2007, 12:22 PM
-Shannon-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
On our board, someone mentioned trampolines and I think we could have started a debate!

What are your thoughts on them? Do you have one? Will you let your kids jump on them?

May 25th, 2007, 12:24 PM
jodi16ss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We don't own one because my Dh won't let the kids have one! Of course, our kids are only 4 and 1, but our 4 year old would love it! My parents would never buy one for us growing up, either.

I think as long as the parents properly supervise the children, there is nothing wrong with it. Then again, I think if I was injured as the result of one, I may have a different opinion.

Proud Mommy to Jackson (5/1/03) & Isabella (6/16/06)
May 25th, 2007, 12:27 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
My brother and I had one as teenagers and neither of us ever got hurt. I know kids get hurt on them all of the time but then again they can get hurt riding a bike, a skateboard, walking down the street, going swimming, and doing just about anything.

They really are a great source of exercise!!! It sure beats the kids sitting in the house playing video games.

May 25th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Super Mommy
I think the ones they have now-a-days with the netting around the sides are fine. keeps kids from falling out and breaking bones.

I was allowed on trampolines as a kid and they never had the netting around them, we were constantly falling and getting hurt.
May 25th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have no issues when kids are properly supervised. (netting is included in this)

May 25th, 2007, 12:33 PM
CJMOM209
I don't know how true this is, but I've heard from people before that your premium for your homeowner's insurance is higher if you have a trampoline.
I wouldn't mind my son jumping on one with the netting around it as long as he is supervised, but we don't have one ourselves.
May 25th, 2007, 01:06 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Personally I would never get one. They are not worth the entertainment value for me.
May 25th, 2007, 01:27 PM
-Shannon-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
My brother and I had one as teenagers and neither of us ever got hurt. I know kids get hurt on them all of the time but then again they can get hurt riding a bike, a skateboard, walking down the street, going swimming, and doing just about anything.

They really are a great source of exercise!!! It sure beats the kids sitting in the house playing video games.[/b]
This is exactly what I think!

My home owners ins. has not gone up having one.

May 25th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
falling off is not the only issue. you can have broken bones or even a broken neck from jumping on them the wrong way. they are pretty dangerous i am not sure we will ever have one
Proud Christian, Cloth diapering, Baby Wearing, Signing, Select vaxing, ERF, Extended Harnessing, attempted breast feeding mama to Cadence 2/01/02 Courtney 11/26/03 Kason 4/02/07 and Kaia 8/23/09And very proud Army wife to Smitty.

May 25th, 2007, 01:53 PM
*Aspen*
I'll never get one. I got my head stuck in the bars, flipped back and nearly broke my neck. I was supervised at the time. No thank you, they just freak me out!! If there were no bars and it had netting, maybe...but I don't see how they can make a bar free trampoline.
May 25th, 2007, 01:57 PM
irishxrose
I LOVED trampolines as a kid, but now that I have my own I've become a wuss. I'm not sure we'll ever own one... they just don't seem safe, and I got hurt a lot as a kid jumping on them.
May 25th, 2007, 02:08 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Seen too many injuries on them. Won't have one, nor allow my child to go on one unless he/she is a gymnast under professional supervision. Of all the yards with trampolines I have seen in base housing, rarely do I see a parent out supervising, most of the time there are at least 2 children on at a time, most don't have nets around them, I have even seen the kids pour water to splash jump and bring toys on with them. I think they liability and injury risk is not worth it.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

May 25th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Ms.Michelle
Geez, and I thought I was sheltered because DH grew up on motorbikes and quads! Well, when I was growing up, we had them at the local beach front and my friend (at the time) had a big one we played on. (No netting.) I can totally see how people could get hurt. I let fear stop me from hurting myself. I wasn't very pushy on trying new things because of it.

Why not let kids have fun and be kids on a trampoline? Teach kids how to play on them so they don't hurt themselves.
May 25th, 2007, 02:38 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
Geez, and I thought I was sheltered because DH grew up on motorbikes and quads! Well, when I was growing up, we had them at the local beach front and my friend (at the time) had a big one we played on. (No netting.) I can totally see how people could get hurt. I let fear stop me from hurting myself. I wasn't very pushy on trying new things because of it.

Why not let kids have fun and be kids on a trampoline? Teach kids how to play on them so they don't hurt themselves.[/b]
Well....because they are kids. LOL! Peer pressure...do a back flip do a back flip! You're a wuss!!! blah blah blah......Rarely did I ever listen to my parents as a kid about things like this and they parented great (when I was a small child that is).
May 25th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
Quote:

Why not let kids have fun and be kids on a trampoline? Teach kids how to play on them so they don't hurt themselves.[/b]
Well....because they are kids. LOL! Peer pressure...do a back flip do a back flip! You're a wuss!!! blah blah blah......Rarely did I ever listen to my parents as a kid about things like this and they parented great (when I was a small child that is).
[/b]
Well, not to get into a Darwin, science debate but kids will survive! They bounce.
May 25th, 2007, 02:45 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
For those who won't allow a trampoline, will you allow your child to ride a bike? They can be just as dangerous. I never once got hurt on the trampoline. I did however, fall off my bike more times than I can count. Once time I bashed my mouth open on a curb. My brother broke his arm falling off his bike. Kids will be kids.

Like Michelle said, they bounce!

May 25th, 2007, 02:54 PM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My parents would never buy us a trampoline because they didn't think it was safe.

</div>
May 25th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Ms.Michelle
There are so many things we live in fear of. From not being allowing to in the yard (just incase someone steals us) to not going for camping trip (because of sex offending camp leaders or the bears, oh my!) Life is way too short. I'd rather be guilty of letting my kids play too hard than to have sheltered them where they need locks on everything because "you just never know." We breed fear into our kids. Instead of doing that, why not teach them how to play so they don't hurt themselves? Why not put helmets on when riding our bikes? Why not teach them where their own personal boundaries are. (In my case, my child and Dh will likely have to do this without me because I'll be a little too motherly when it comes to some things but that's because it's my issue. It shouldn't become their issue.)
May 25th, 2007, 02:58 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
Well, not to get into a Darwin, science debate but kids will survive! They bounce.
[/b]
LOL!!
May 25th, 2007, 03:01 PM
tevinsangel
I love trampolines!! Growing up my parents could not afford to get us one but I can guarantee you we would have been out there everyday jumping if we did. I had a friend who had one and we had so much fun jumping on them. Yes, we probably took it a little too far with spraying it down with water (creates a much higher bounce), jumping from the trampoline into the pool and we would use the water hose and see who could jump the highest over the stream of water. We also did flips and I fell off a few times (and it hurt) but I got right back on and kept jumping (they are addicting lol). When my kids are older, I would like to get one and get the net that goes around it and I'm paranoid about kidnapping etc anyway, so I or DH will be out there supervising at all times. I don't want to shelter my kids from everything because 1. that either creates a very paranoid, not want to try anything out child or 2. it creates an adrenaline junkie.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search