Tattoos

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2007, 11:39 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are getting tattoos for your SO (be it a symbol or a name) bad luck?

Chris and I are planning on getting either a celtic knot or the snake eating its tale on our ring finger. When Chris flies he can't wear his ring, so when he's deployed he can't bring his wedding ring along. It's drives us both batty. We've gotten some opposition about the tattoos saying it was bad luck. What do you think?
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 25th, 2007, 11:46 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would never tatto a guy's name on me or a wedding band on my finger, but that's just me. I don't think it's bad luck or anything, I'm not supersticious like that, but I do think it's a bad idea!

Well, mostly the name thing is a bad idea. If you guys really love each other and you are confident in your marriage then I guess a wedding band tatto isn't that bad.
May 25th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Are getting tattoos for your SO (be it a symbol or a name) bad luck?

Chris and I are planning on getting either a celtic knot or the snake eating its tale on our ring finger. When Chris flies he can't wear his ring, so when he's deployed he can't bring his wedding ring along. It's drives us both batty. We've gotten some opposition about the tattoos saying it was bad luck. What do you think?[/b]
SO and I are getting the snake eating its tail too, but not on the ringfinger (somewhere else on the body, we just haven't decided yet). I wouldn't get his name tattooed but other than that, i say go for it

Want to know what 'not' to get tattooed? My sister's boyfriend surprised her for their 6th month together by getting her face tattoed on his arm. Now THAT's a tattoo!
May 25th, 2007, 12:00 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have three tattoes but I would never get one for the SO. I did get one for my babies. You just never know what the future will bring and an SO can come and go.
May 25th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Quote:
I have three tattoes but I would never get one for the SO. I did get one for my babies. You just never know what the future will bring and an SO can come and go.[/b]

see, but when I married Chris I didn't think, "we'd remain married until we got a divorce." The whole idea was we would be married until we died.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

May 25th, 2007, 12:52 PM
irishxrose
I don't see a problem with it. I'm a little wary about getting names done, but if it's symbolic then I don't see a problem at all. Go for it!
May 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
I'd never get a SO's or DH's name. However, DH and I want to get matching tats that have Julia's name on it, and some other things (still undecided on the design and it's been almost 2 years lol) - so that would be sort of the same thing lol Just, if anything ever happened to our marriage, we won't be kicking ourselves lol
May 25th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DH and I both have tattoos of each others names on our bodys.We have 2 each (then other tattoos with no names).

This one is on his left shoulder.

This one is on the inside of left arm.

This is one of mine,its on my left shoulder blade.

I have another one with his name on it on my tummy,but I dont want to show that one

We have other tattoos and to be honest I love the ones with our names on them...its something we decided to do and we have never regretted it.I think its super romantic and a wonderful gesture fir the person you love.
Im married..I never think about what would happen if we split up because the reason I married him is because I dont want to! lol.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

May 25th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Courtney_79's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it is all a matter of personal preference, but let me tell you about my sister. She married her best friend and HS sweetheart of 4 years and got a rose with his name tattoooed on her shoulder. They were married for 10 years and she up and finds out he hasbeen meeting all of these internet women and they get divorced. She found and WONDERFUL tattoo artist who was able to do a great cover up on it and you would never know that it used to be a name.

Now if you asked her opinion on this she would say "HELL NO" lol
May 25th, 2007, 02:46 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
DH and I both have tattoos of each others names on our bodys.We have 2 each (then other tattoos with no names).

I have another one with his name on it on my tummy,but I dont want to show that one

We have other tattoos and to be honest I love the ones with our names on them...its something we decided to do and we have never regretted it.I think its super romantic and a wonderful gesture fir the person you love.
Im married..I never think about what would happen if we split up because the reason I married him is because I dont want to! lol.[/b]
That is all nice and all but I never thought I would be divorced either. We were married 7 years and he asked for the divorce. My two sisters where married over 20 years and got divorced. It is nothing about what you think is going to happen. It is the fact that you will be 50 and have a tattoo of a person you are no longer married to on your person.
May 25th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Quote:

Im married..I never think about what would happen if we split up because the reason I married him is because I dont want to! lol.[/b]
That is all nice and all but I never thought I would be divorced either. We were married 7 years and he asked for the divorce. My two sisters where married over 20 years and got divorced. It is nothing about what you think is going to happen. It is the fact that you will be 50 and have a tattoo of a person you are no longer married to on your person.
[/b]

But I think its silly to think of those "what-ifs" all the time. I think they actually cause harm to a marriage.

May 25th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]

But I think its silly to think of those "what-ifs" all the time. I think they actually cause harm to a marriage.
[/b]

Exactly.I mean,if we have to live our relationships as if we could split at any moment,then we may as well not have kids either,or share a mortgage,or even bother with each other at all for that matter
I never think about a possible divorce because I dont want to spend my days worrying about something that may never happen kwim? Which is why we both have these tattoos.
DH got his one done first (as a surprise gift to me) and I said "Now what will you do if we split up?" and he said "Were not going to split up"..thats enough for me
I think its pretty romantic that after 9 and a half years,he still wants me all over his body!! lol.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

May 25th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Id never get a tattoo for a guy. I may think it is true love, I may marry the guy.. but unfortunatly, love isnt always forever always. If something happened and it didnt work out or last, I wouldnt want a constant reminder.
May 25th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd personally never get a person's name, but I think a symbolic tattoo for your SO is very sweet.

I hate jewellry and it would drive me nuts to have to wear a wedding ring so when SO and I decide to get married we plan on getting bands tattooed instead.

May 26th, 2007, 08:33 AM
ChasingClio's Avatar Super Mommy
I love the idea of the symbolic tatts! I wouldn't get a name - not because of bad luck or "what if", just because that's not my taste. Alan, however, has my name tattooed on his arm.
May 26th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Quote:
I love the idea of the symbolic tatts! I wouldn't get a name - not because of bad luck or "what if", just because that's not my taste. Alan, however, has my name tattooed on his arm.
[/b]

I didn't know that Alan has your name tattooed on him! Thats awesome! soo Sweet!

May 26th, 2007, 09:33 AM
asianmama
never will have my husbands name on my body sorry, dont think its romantic, dont want to branded as stirlings property and love can easily come and go. never thought of my hubby leaving me but it did happen. never thought i would cheat. but that happened as well... life is no guarantee, i will however get my kids names on me because thats blood and nothing will change blood ties.
May 26th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have my DF name on my arm and he has my name on his arm, I also have the EXes name. All I have to do is cover it up, they can put a pretty leaf over it so no damage done. I was 17 when I had that done.

I do not worry about having DF name on my arm because love just do not come and go and I am very very confident we will be together until the end.

Quote:
Id never get a tattoo for a guy. I may think it is true love, I may marry the guy.. but unfortunatly, love isnt always forever always. If something happened and it didnt work out or last, I wouldnt want a constant reminder.[/b]

I think children are more of a constant reminder than a tattoo that can be covered up easily if you go to a good tattooist.
May 26th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Our tats

May 26th, 2007, 09:11 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My husband has my name tattooed on his wedding ring finger and the neatest thing is that it's in my handwriting. When he went to get it, the artist was making the little "carbon" thingy for the outline and asked if Troy wanted to write it and Troy said that his handwriting was too sloppy, but asked if I could write it...so I did!! I love it! I have a chili pepper with his nickname over my heart. I love my tattoos.

I will not get divorced, so I don't see any problem with having my husband's name tattooed on me or vice versa.

Sorry, the last pic is kind of cheezy...I needed somthing for that last frame!!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search