Smoking While TTC

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2007, 09:14 AM
*Aspen*
Do you think a woman should smoke if her and her partner are actively TTC?

Here is my opinion, but you never know, it could change.

I don't think women who smoke should be TTC. Oops, worded that wrong...I don't think women who are TTC should smoke. LOL! I don't equate this to "well if they shouldn't smoke do you not agree with them having a glass of wine here or there?"
I don't see the two comparable because smoking is an addiction. Having a glass of wine here or there is not an addiction. Alcoholism is an addiction, and I don't think an alcoholic should be TTC until they have overcome their addiction.

I'm the type of person who won't drink unless testing negative from an HPT. I'd have a few drinks after that test (not right after, but like the week or two I may end up having a drink here or there with dh at dinner or something)...but once there is a possibility of being pregnant again, I would stop drinking.
May 28th, 2007, 09:21 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If they want to smoke while TTC then that is their business only, they are TRYING to get pregnant, not actually pregnant so I don't see the issue. Many women that smoke put down their cigarettes when they found they had an oops pregnancy, so I would imagine someone that wanted a child enough to TTC would more than likely quit once they became pregnant. Sometimes this may be what is needed to overcome the addiction. My grandpa was an alcoholic, and when his doc told him to cut back or he was going to die he never picked up another drink. Sometimes if presented with something so serious and life altering a persons addiction may be overcome, so I see no problem with a person TTC and smoking.

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014

May 28th, 2007, 09:30 AM
*Aspen*
Quote:
If they want to smoke while TTC then that is their business only, they are TRYING to get pregnant, not actually pregnant so I don't see the issue. Many women that smoke put down their cigarettes when they found they had an oops pregnancy, so I would imagine someone that wanted a child enough to TTC would more than likely quit once they became pregnant. Sometimes this may be what is needed to overcome the addiction. My grandpa was an alcoholic, and when his doc told him to cut back or he was going to die he never picked up another drink. Sometimes if presented with something so serious and life altering a persons addiction may be overcome, so I see no problem with a person TTC and smoking.[/b]
Not all people can just drop the cigarettes once finding out they are pregnant. A woman who is smoking and TTC may not realize how seriously addicted she is and not be able to quit. I hear this argument all the time when we have a smoking and pregnant debate. There is the argument of the pregnant women wanting to quit but it's a very serious hard hard addiciton for them, they can't just STOP. So, in the case that one of the TTC women end up as someone who can't stop, I think that those measures of stopping before a child is being brought into the picture should take place first.
May 28th, 2007, 09:44 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know not all people can, but is a women who has an addiction bound to a life with no children? I don't really know what I think about that...... I just imagine that most women that are TTC are typically very responsible people who would have full intentions to quit. I could be wrong, but that's just my impression. An addiction is an illness, so what about people with mental illness who are TTC wouldn't that essentially be the same thing? I don't know I really haven't thought much about the topic until now, so I'll do some more thinking about this issue.....

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014

May 28th, 2007, 10:07 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with you, Aspen. If a woman is actively ttc, I think she should have already quit smoking.

And, newmomma, IMO, if someone has a serious mental illness and refuses to seek treatment, then no, she should not be ttc. If she is being effectively treated, then I have no problem with her ttc.

May 28th, 2007, 10:17 AM
*Aspen*
Quote:
I agree with you, Aspen. If a woman is actively ttc, I think she should have already quit smoking.

And, newmomma, IMO, if someone has a serious mental illness and refuses to seek treatment, then no, she should not be ttc. If she is being effectively treated, then I have no problem with her ttc.[/b]
Yes, ditto about the mental illness. The treatment for an addiction of cigarettes would be to quit. The treatment for a mental illness would be....well, many different things, but getting rid of the mental illness is not one of them.
May 28th, 2007, 11:01 AM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The judging continues. We are now electing those that should be conceiving children? Quit judging!!! If the ablility to stop smoking was that easy then I am sure cigarettes would not be around. I just do not see how adults (not teenagers) love throwing their money away on cigarettes. I have not met one yet but it is an addiction and if you are going to bar that addiction from reproducing then on to overweight people not being able to control what they eat.
May 28th, 2007, 11:11 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I think if you are TTC you should be doing all you can to get your body in optimum health for conception and gestation. If I was actively trying to conceive I would keep smoking and drinking to a minumum. If I thought I was pregnant, I likely wouldn't go out and get drunk, I'd POAS first. That said, I don't think someone who is TTC should have to stop smoking and drinking completely, as long as they did once they were pregnant.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

May 28th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
I think if you are TTC you should be doing all you can to get your body in optimum health for conception and gestation.[/b]

I had a co-worker this weekend have a loss. I know rdhdtrue you spoke of judging.. Well, deep in my heart I have to wonder if her smoking and lifestyle were indeed contributing factors to her loss. I would never say that to her. My (step) mom had a hard labour and was unable to have another child.. I know she feels guilt about her lifestyle and smoking because of it. (She smoked through her pregnancy and quit after the labour.)
May 28th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
The judging continues. We are now electing those that should be conceiving children? Quit judging!!! If the ablility to stop smoking was that easy then I am sure cigarettes would not be around. I just do not see how adults (not teenagers) love throwing their money away on cigarettes. I have not met one yet but it is an addiction and if you are going to bar that addiction from reproducing then on to overweight people not being able to control what they eat.[/b]

Why are you on a debate board if you are going to moan about people judging?
May 28th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I always feel like I shouldn't respond to smoking threads because I've never had a cigarette in my life so I don't know what they are like and the powerful addiction that they feed. However, I must say that, in an ideal world that women should be eating right, not drinking, and not smoking when they are trying to conceive. Ironically, most of the pregnant women I've been around have smoked......some had healthy babies, some of their babies had problems with weight (and one of them is nearly 7 months old and is still having problems with weight) and one of them even had a stillborn at full-term.

I've run across a few women who have told me they are TTC and they are sitting in front of me drinking (and going out for frequent cigarette breaks) and I'm thinking: "Why are you putting TOXINS in your body if there could be a little zygote or embryo in there?! UGH! Deplorable!" So, I can't say I don't have silent judgement, I do. But, I also don't know what that addiction is like either.
May 28th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Quote:
The judging continues. We are now electing those that should be conceiving children? Quit judging!!! If the ablility to stop smoking was that easy then I am sure cigarettes would not be around. I just do not see how adults (not teenagers) love throwing their money away on cigarettes. I have not met one yet but it is an addiction and if you are going to bar that addiction from reproducing then on to overweight people not being able to control what they eat.[/b]

[/b]

I only moan during sex. I am on the debate board because I want to see what other's find issues with. If it is justified or selfish. The US is going downhill fast in my opinion (depressingly so) and I do not understand were it comes from. My children have to grow up in this world and it seems like we only get more judgemental (sp?) as it passes. I fought it during high school and will continue doing it for the rest of my existence.
May 28th, 2007, 01:56 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]

I only moan during sex. I am on the debate board because I want to see what other's find issues with. If it is justified or selfish. The US is going downhill fast in my opinion (depressingly so) and I do not understand were it comes from. My children have to grow up in this world and it seems like we only get more judgemental (sp?) as it passes. I fought it during high school and will continue doing it for the rest of my existence.
[/b]
Well if a debate peeves you off so much don't participate. I don't see you being any less judgemental here towards us that HAVE an opinion on this DEBATE.

All you have to say is No I don't think a woman should quit and state your reason. But calling us out as selfish for debating one of MANY THINGS people do is rude....oh, and judgmental.
May 28th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Ms.Michelle
I really didn't expect this thread to go south by post 12!
May 28th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Quote:
I really didn't expect this thread to go south by post 12! [/b]
Whatever I can do to help
May 28th, 2007, 02:02 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I really didn't expect this thread to go south by post 12! [/b]
Pass the <strike>popcorn</strike> smokes, Michelle. LMAO.

May 28th, 2007, 02:03 PM
*Aspen*
BUAHAHAHAHA!!! lol

I thought it would take page 2 at least. LOL!
May 28th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rdhdtrue @ May 28 2007, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>The judging continues. We are now electing those that should be conceiving children? Quit judging!!! If the ablility to stop smoking was that easy then I am sure cigarettes would not be around. I just do not see how adults (not teenagers) love throwing their money away on cigarettes. I have not met one yet but it is an addiction and if you are going to bar that addiction from reproducing then on to overweight people not being able to control what they eat.[/b]

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Well if a debate peeves you off so much don't participate. I don't see you being any less judgemental here towards us that HAVE an opinion on this DEBATE.

All you have to say is No I don't think a woman should quit and state your reason. But calling us out as selfish for debating one of MANY THINGS people do is rude....oh, and judgmental.
[/b][/quote]

I am not judging. I have no issues with smoking or not smoking. How is that judging? Or were we more offended because I brought up eating habits? I have that issues also so again not judging.
May 28th, 2007, 02:08 PM
*Aspen*
Okie dokie, that went over your head apparently.
May 28th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Okie dokie, that went over your head apparently.[/b]

It might of. I am enjoying some beverages and bbqing. Let me get back to you tomorrow . But if you are saying to keep my mouth shut it probably will not happen.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search