Dark skin vs light skin

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2007, 11:50 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I am watching the late night airing of Oprah. They are discussing children who are unhappy with their looks for one reason or another. So far they have mostly discussed race.

What I found interesting were how many different teenagers said that they felt that light skinned African Americans are more attractive than dark skinned African Americans. One mother, who is dark skinned, said she prayed when she was pregnant that her son would not be dark skinned like her. He turned out to be very dark skinned.

I guess this is something that I haven't really ever thought about. I have never thought that someone with light skinned has to be more attractive than someone who is dark skinned. One of the most beautiful girls that I went to school with is also one of the darkest skinned people I have ever seen. I always thought her skin was so beautiful!

The interesting thing is that a lot of the people on the show who said they were ridiculed for being dark skinned were ridiculed by other African Americans.

Do you think this is considered being prejudiced against your own race? Have you ever realized that there was a stigma of sorts between light skinned and dark skinned African Americans?

Check out her site to see this thing that she is doing. I think it is a wonderful idea to empower girls to recognize their own beauty.

O Girl, O Beautiful Campaign

May 29th, 2007, 12:35 AM
chlodoll
I think its an occurrence in pretty much every race and culture. My inlaws are from Egypt and its very prevalent there. The lighter your skin probably indicates the richer you are. If you are light skin you arent working outside all day getting darker. Ever watch a Bollywood movie? In every one the hero is a light skinned man and the bad guy is dark. Japanese women wear white makeup because their white skin is seen as beautiful. Some dark skinned women lighten their skin with creme bleaches. I went to school with a very dark skinned girl from Somalia. Alot of people called her Midnight because she was so dark. She was absolutely gorgeous though but it made her horribly insecure. I just wish she could see how beautiful she really was.
May 29th, 2007, 12:47 AM
chlodoll
I saw this for the first time a couple weeks ago and it kind of goes a long these lines. Its eyelid tape for people who dont have a crease in their eyelids to create one.

http://www.d-up.co.jp/english/produc...02_wonder.html
May 29th, 2007, 11:41 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
I saw this for the first time a couple weeks ago and it kind of goes a long these lines. Its eyelid tape for people who dont have a crease in their eyelids to create one.

http://www.d-up.co.jp/english/produc...02_wonder.html[/b]

It's funny you brought that one up. That was the very next thing they talked about. They had an Asian girl on who was talking about how important that eye crease is in the Asian culture. She said she always felt so insecure because she didn't have the eye crease and the rest of her family does. She said she was always ridiculed in her own family because of it. I just felt so sad. This girl was so beautiful!

I guess I never realized that some cultures had so many prejudices even against people within their own culture. I don't feel like I have any prejudices against people who are Caucasian. I guess it's just something I never really thought about. I was pretty shocked while I was watching the show.

May 29th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Veteran
ITA with chlodoll! I see it in every race.
White people feel the need to go to a salon and bake themselves in an ultraviolet coffin because they see being tan as sexy and white pasty skin (like me) isn't. Same with black people bleaching their skin. I think it is sad that we can't embrace who we are and forget about this image that society expects us to live up to in order to be considered beautiful!
Cadence~ 1/11/2007 2lbs 3ozs 13"

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search