S/O Leaving baby in car...

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 29th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
OK so the other thread got me thinking...do you think it's ever ok to leave a baby in the car?

I have done it a handful of times...never when I'm going to be inside for a prolonged period of time though...For example, going to pick up my check from work-The place where I pick it up is at the back of an office building. It is monitered at all time by cameras and there is a guard outside. There have been a couple times when she's been sleeping in the back seat or it's been raining out that I have run inside to get my check (which takes a total of about 30 seconds) and left her in there with the doors locked. I've also forgotten something in daycare and run back inside to get it with her in the car (again, doors locked and it took me about 30 seconds)

I know that people have issues about this...but personally I feel like it is a bit of a stretch to suggest that someone can break into your locked car, take your baby out and run away in 30 seconds. I can understand why someone might not be comfortable with it, and by all means I would say don't do it if you don't feel safe, but **I** just don't see the big deal, personally.
May 29th, 2007, 06:38 AM
tevinsangel
Statistically, you probably have nothing to worry about. Just for me though, I am too paranoid to do it. I don't look down on you, Rebecca, or judge you. I get that's it's not 10 mins inside a convenience store or anything like that - I guess for me I am just too worried about this kind of stuff - heck, I don't even let my kids go outside alone in the front yard where I can see them easily (and we live in a very quiet subdivision).
May 29th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Where we live, I wouldn't even think about it. We live in a fairly big city, crime rates keep going up and keep hearing about break in's for cars. I'm sure they're not *looking* for a 1 year old, but still. Sleeping or not, I bring her with me - even if its 30 seconds [like I forgot to grab my cell phone one day, unbuckled H, brought her back inside and did it again. Not fun...but still I'm paranoid for any length of time. Also, we're in the south, when its 80 degrees outside, its feels like twice as much inside my car. So I'd have to leave my car running, and it CAN take 30 seconds to jump in t he car and hit the gas. I have no idea how long it takes to hot wire a car or whatever, but i'm sure if somebody is skilled enough it can be fairly easily/quick.
May 29th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Where we live, I wouldn't even think about it. We live in a fairly big city, crime rates keep going up and keep hearing about break in's for cars. I'm sure they're not *looking* for a 1 year old, but still. Sleeping or not, I bring her with me - even if its 30 seconds [like I forgot to grab my cell phone one day, unbuckled H, brought her back inside and did it again. Not fun...but still I'm paranoid for any length of time. Also, we're in the south, when its 80 degrees outside, its feels like twice as much inside my car. So I'd have to leave my car running, and it CAN take 30 seconds to jump in t he car and hit the gas. I have no idea how long it takes to hot wire a car or whatever, but i'm sure if somebody is skilled enough it can be fairly easily/quick.[/b]
Ah I should have mentioned...The car was not running and the weather was such that it didn't need to be. I know that people can break into cars and hot wire them quickly, but I think that 30 seconds is a pretty small window of opportunity to scope out a car (Which not for nothing but my car is a 12 year old POS to begin with so I don't know who would want to steal it) break into it, and hot wire it (or take the baby) It seems very implausable to me. In fact, I would be shocked if that has ever happened!

I also live in a pretty good area now with a low crime rate so that makes a difference...I would never do it in my old neighborhood though!
May 29th, 2007, 06:55 AM
tevinsangel
The heat brought up another thought for me as well. I'm always trying to plan scenarios out in my head and say "what if this happened, what would I do" etc. I've thought of the heat thing before. What if while I was gone for 30 seconds to a minute something happened to me, my kids would be left in a running car or a hot car and they could possibly die. Just to show that we never know what is going to happen - once a few years ago, I took the trash out and DD stood at the window and watched me. It was raining and when I got towards the bottom of our steps, I slipped and fell and landed on my back, but my neck was probably just an inch shy of landing on the step above me. Luckily in that split second when I fell, I thought to keep my head forward so that I wouldn't break my neck. It knocked the wind out of me and I laid there on the steps for a good 5 mins before I could actually get up and walk back up to the house. Now, I take the trash out at night when DH is home or if it really needs to go out, I set it outside the door till he gets home.
May 29th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have done it on rare occasion. If I am getting gas and there is one of those attendants in the parking lot type deals, I will park at the closest pump to the register and leave Leo strapped in while I pay. Thats only if I pay cash, mostly I pay at the pump. And one time, I left my purse inside the daycare and realised it only after I had strapped him in, so I just ran in and grabbed it. Mostly though, I take him with me.

I think that in some instances its OK to leave the kid in the car, as long as its not running, and only if you can stil;l see the baby and car from where you are. Oh yea, definitely only for a few seconds, a minute tops.

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
May 29th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Where we live, I wouldn't even think about it. We live in a fairly big city, crime rates keep going up and keep hearing about break in's for cars. I'm sure they're not *looking* for a 1 year old, but still. Sleeping or not, I bring her with me - even if its 30 seconds [like I forgot to grab my cell phone one day, unbuckled H, brought her back inside and did it again. Not fun...but still I'm paranoid for any length of time. Also, we're in the south, when its 80 degrees outside, its feels like twice as much inside my car. So I'd have to leave my car running, and it CAN take 30 seconds to jump in t he car and hit the gas. I have no idea how long it takes to hot wire a car or whatever, but i'm sure if somebody is skilled enough it can be fairly easily/quick.[/b]
Ah I should have mentioned...The car was not running and the weather was such that it didn't need to be. I know that people can break into cars and hot wire them quickly, but I think that 30 seconds is a pretty small window of opportunity to scope out a car (Which not for nothing but my car is a 12 year old POS to begin with so I don't know who would want to steal it) break into it, and hot wire it (or take the baby) It seems very implausable to me. In fact, I would be shocked if that has ever happened!

I also live in a pretty good area now with a low crime rate so that makes a difference...I would never do it in my old neighborhood though!
[/b]
Yeah, a lot of factors to come into play. My old car was a '93 POS, I would leave it unlocked, windows down had no worries about somebody trying to break in to steal the stereo system or something. Whereas now, I have a nice car, COULD be an easy target for theft. I have an irrationable [is that the right word?] fear that somebody is always following me or watching me - not sure where it came from. Where my grandparents live, I probably would leave her in the car for 30 seconds, pending the weather. There is hardly any crime, everybody knowns everybody. OF course something COULD happen - I don't think I would do it in a walmart parking lot, but if I was in my grandma's drive way and forgot diapers inside I'd go grab them quickly. In a 12 hour period MAYBE 15 cars drive along the road, plus where the diapers would be in her house I'd see the car the entire time.
May 29th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've left her in the garage with the car running before (many times) to run back into the house to get stuff. I've also left her in other people's driveways when I've had to go back in for some reason too. I've never been in a situation where I had to run into a business quickly yet, but I'm super paranoid, so I would bring her with me.
May 29th, 2007, 08:03 AM
CJMOM209
Just wanted to share this story highlighting anything "can" happen:

When my sister was 2 years old, my mom parked the car in the driveway, and ran back in to the house to grab something (she was only gone a few seconds). In that time my sister managed to unbuckle her carseat get in the front seat, put the car in gear, and ran right through the garage door. She was okay and my mom shouldn't have left the car running, but she had no idea my sister could get out of her carseat. My sister's nickname was "crash" for a long time.
May 29th, 2007, 08:03 AM
ahixon
I have left my kids to run into the gas station, our towns popualtion is 374, and probably 274 of them are related to my husband. Not to mention that the whole front of the store is glass, and I can see the whole parking lot from anywhere in the store. It doesn't bother me one little bit to run in a pay for my gas.
May 29th, 2007, 08:10 AM
donomama
As long as I can see the car the whole time and the weather isn't too severe, I don't see a problem. I do it all the time.
May 29th, 2007, 08:12 AM
mommyKathyX3
Depends on where you live (or are). Also depends on the age of the children. It also depends on how far away from the car you are, and how long you are going to be gone. There are SO many factors! I think generally its not a good idea, but there are certain circumstances that I think its not a big deal.
May 29th, 2007, 08:20 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The only reason I ever left Aden in the truck was to take in the groceries at our apartment in Texas. It was a very quiet area though and nobody was ever around. And I think I left her in there once to pay for gas, but that was when we were visiting MIL and she lives in a very small town. And I locked the door too.
Usually I take her out and bring her in the house first, but I would lock the car and leave her in there if I forgot my cell phone or something.
May 29th, 2007, 08:21 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
I think it depends on a lot of things - safety of the neighborhood, weather, whether you can see the car, etc - but I totally think it's acceptable in a 30 second run-in-run-out situation.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 29th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

When my sister was 2 years old, my mom parked the car in the driveway, and ran back in to the house to grab something (she was only gone a few seconds). In that time my sister managed to unbuckle her carseat get in the front seat, put the car in gear, and ran right through the garage door. She was okay and my mom shouldn't have left the car running, but she had no idea my sister could get out of her carseat. My sister's nickname was "crash" for a long time.[/b]
If my 5 month old did that I think I might call the circus
May 29th, 2007, 09:16 AM
chlodoll
I have never really had to do this because I dont drive but I dont see a problem with it in the circumstances mentioned. I have left DS is DH's car to run in and get my keys or a jacket from the closet. I live on a quiet cul de sac in a condo community so I dont worry.
May 29th, 2007, 09:33 AM
ChasingClio's Avatar Super Mommy
If Savannah's sleeping I will just lock her in when I run into the post office to get my mail. The area is so nice that many people will even their cars running, doors unlocked. I think if you take all the factors into conseration and it is just a quick run in/run out, it's okay to do it once in a while.
May 29th, 2007, 10:00 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
I've left her in the garage with the car running before (many times) to run back into the house to get stuff. I've also left her in other people's driveways when I've had to go back in for some reason too. I've never been in a situation where I had to run into a business quickly yet, but I'm super paranoid, so I would bring her with me.[/b]
Ditto - but even in the driveway I am nervous. I lock the car doors even if it's running (keyless entry). It's a hassle at the 7-11 for example, to take all 4 in, and the storefront is all windows, but I always think how I would never forgive myself if anything happened + it's illegal so no coffee is worth CPS in my life.

Quote:
If Savannah's sleeping I will just lock her in when I run into the post office to get my mail. The area is so nice that many people will even their cars running, doors unlocked. I think if you take all the factors into conseration and it is just a quick run in/run out, it's okay to do it once in a while.[/b]
This is not a judgemement and I don't know what the law is where you are - but here even that is illegal. You cannot even run in to pay for gas if you are parked right in front of the gas station and it's all windows.
I hope no car thieves or baby snatchers are reading this thread - they will know just where to look
I wish we lived in a world where it felt safe to do this. When I was a baby I napped outside in my pram on the porch! A different - maybe nicer - era.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

May 29th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

When my sister was 2 years old, my mom parked the car in the driveway, and ran back in to the house to grab something (she was only gone a few seconds). In that time my sister managed to unbuckle her carseat get in the front seat, put the car in gear, and ran right through the garage door. She was okay and my mom shouldn't have left the car running, but she had no idea my sister could get out of her carseat. My sister's nickname was "crash" for a long time.[/b]
The is another concern of mine. My daughters car seat has a 3 pt belt or whatever, and she managed to wiggle out of it and was standing up, when I was watering the lawn thismorning. She thought she was just the coolest little thing. I'm sure even though her car seat is tighter, if she wanted to she could wiggle right on out. Which is actually quite scary!
May 29th, 2007, 11:22 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I have done it on rare occasion. If I am getting gas and there is one of those attendants in the parking lot type deals, I will park at the closest pump to the register and leave Leo strapped in while I pay. Thats only if I pay cash, mostly I pay at the pump. And one time, I left my purse inside the daycare and realised it only after I had strapped him in, so I just ran in and grabbed it. Mostly though, I take him with me.

I think that in some instances its OK to leave the kid in the car, as long as its not running, and only if you can stil;l see the baby and car from where you are. Oh yea, definitely only for a few seconds, a minute tops.[/b]
I agree and have done the same at the gas station, when she was fast asleep. And, I'll probably get eaten alive for this but there have been times, few and far between, when I have parked the car and stood outside the door and smoked a quick cig while she was asleep in her carseat. I never take my eyes off of her though, and I think that's a better alternative since I refuse to smoke around her.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search