designer dogs

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 29th, 2007, 05:19 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Whats the difference between a designer dog and a mutt? I have a beagle lab mix. If I came up with a really cutesy name would she be worth more? At the shelter we adopted her from they had a pug. His adoption fee was 250$ as opposed to Molly's 120$. Why? Because he's a high profile pet (my friend ended up adopting him.) Is that fair? Are designer dogs really different than a mutt?

ETA- I know a pug isn't a designer dog... But I wanted to throw that story out there too.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 29th, 2007, 05:25 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I don't think there really is a difference other than "designer dogs" are bred together intentionally. This is actually done sometimes to help alleviate problems in a breed. When one breed that may have a common health or physical problem is bred with a breed that doesn't have that problem it can sometimes get rid of the problem. Designer dogs are also usually made by breeding two full bred dogs. Mutts can be all kinds of mixes and varieties.

Some people consider my dog a "designer dog." I don't think of her that way to me she is more of a mutt. She is part Yorkie and part Maltese. To me she is just my little cutie pie!

May 29th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
Designer dogs/hybrids are glorified mutts. They are bred by irresponsible, backyard breeders, who see nothing more than dollar signs. I have a poodle/maltese mix, she was rescued, I am sure she was originally a high priced "maltipoo". I find it laughable, on one hand that people will pay such outrageous prices for a dog that could adopt for next to nothing at a shelter, and on the other hand, sad that we are creating a demand for more irresponsible breeding practices and more overcrowding in shelters and rescues.

You can call it whatever you want, a puggle, a labradoodle, a maltipoo, a peekapoo, it is still a mutt.

I am not saying that there is anything wrong with mutts, they are wonderful dogs. But there is no reason to line the pockets of a backyard breeder or puppy mill for a dog that you could rescue from a shelter or rescue organization.

May 29th, 2007, 05:31 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't see a difference, except that for every "designer" dog that is bought for an astronomical amount from a puppy mill pet store, a pound puppy sits in a cage waiting for a home When we are ready for a dog, it will come from a shelter or the SPCA, not a pet store, and I could care less about the breed. In my experience, rescue dogs have great personalities, and it almost seems like they know you saved them and they are that much more grateful.
May 29th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Veteran
I've always heard that bred dogs have more health problems.
May 29th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Quote:
I've always heard that bred dogs have more health problems.[/b]
Only if they are irresponsibly bred.

May 29th, 2007, 06:30 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I've always heard that bred dogs have more health problems.[/b]

Some dogs are bred for health, which reputable breeders do, and others are bred for looks which can cause them to be more vulnerable to diseases and illnesses. Usually puppy mills breed for looks, not for health or temperament, which obviously is not a good scenario for the dog.
May 29th, 2007, 07:29 PM
CJMOM209
Sorry to offend anyone...but to me they are just glorified mutts. They are bred together to get certain characteristics, but it's really no different than if I bred my Great Dane to a Poodle....which I would never do...he's fixed and that would be one messed up dog...lol!
May 29th, 2007, 08:33 PM
ahixon
Since I have been called out in two threads about my designer dog, I guess I will respond. My dog is a Puggle, and we got her from a back yard breeder, she was the last that he had in the litter and my husband paid $100 for her, BTW is about $100 less than it would cost me to get one from the shelter, not that it matters, I would have got her if they were giving away the shelter dog's. That is horrible of me I know, but I have alway's wanted a pug, but since they have such bad health issues I never got one, so when the Puggles started getting popular, and I found out that they had alot less health issues, I wanted one. After wanting one for about two years my husband bought me one from a friend of his as a suprise birthday gift, actually he traded some work for her. So, shoot me, I was as proud as could be to have her, and proud of my Husband for getting her for me. Can you imagine that my Husband is friends with a backyard breeder.
May 29th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Since I have been called out in two threads about my designer dog, I guess I will respond. My dog is a Puggle, and we got her from a back yard breeder, she was the last that he had in the litter and my husband paid $100 for her, BTW is about $100 less than it would cost me to get one from the shelter, not that it matters, I would have got her if they were giving away the shelter dog's. That is horrible of me I know, but I have alway's wanted a pug, but since they have such bad health issues I never got one, so when the Puggles started getting popular, and I found out that they had alot less health issues, I wanted one. After wanting one for about two years my husband bought me one from a friend of his as a suprise birthday gift, actually he traded some work for her. So, shoot me, I was as proud as could be to have her, and proud of my Husband for getting her for me. Can you imagine that my Husband is friends with a backyard breeder.[/b]
How do you know they have less health issues? The problem with "designer breeds" is that they are marketed under the false pretense that the bad traits of one breed are masked by the good traits of the other. The truth is that it is a crap shoot. There is no way to determine that the puggle is going to get the good traits of the Beagle, it is a 50/50 chance. That is like saying that your child will surely have blue eyes if their father does. You just don't know what traits the mutt will have. Some will have the longer nose of the Beagle, others will have the problem sinuses of the Pugs. There is no breed standard for the designer dog, because they are just mutts. They will get whatever traits nature passes along, and each puppy will be different.

May 29th, 2007, 08:54 PM
donomama
I grew up having a maltipoo. She was the best dog ever! We got her when I was 11 (from a backyard breeder - oh the shame!). She was just put to sleep last year at the age of 18. I loved that dog so much, but let's be honest - she was a mutt.
May 29th, 2007, 08:58 PM
ahixon
Well, I will take my chaces with my crap shoot, I would rather have 50/50 chances, than a 100% promise that they will have health problems.

Oh, I could care less that my dog is a mutt. I like pugs, and beagles have great personalities, so to me it was the best of both worlds.
May 29th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Well, I will take my chaces with my crap shoot, I would rather have 50/50 chances, than a 100% promise that they will have health problems.[/b]
What breed ensures a 100% chance of health problems? I would say you are significantly increasing your chance of health problems by getting a poorly bred dog. A "hybrid" does not ensure perfect health. Good breeding, health screens, a health guarantee, etc, are better indicators of a healthy dog than a mutt.

May 29th, 2007, 09:03 PM
ahixon
How do you know she was poorly bred? Just because she is a hybrid she is poorly bred?
May 29th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Quote:
How do you know she was poorly bred? Just because she is a hybrid she is poorly bred?[/b]
She is from a backyard breeder, she is a "hybrid", that would equate to poorly bred. Breeders who purposely breed "designer dogs" are lining their pockets. Responsible breeders breed to better the breed, not to add to it. There is no breed standard, therefore, "hybrids" cannot be shown in conformation rings and have no proof that they are suitable for breeding.

May 29th, 2007, 09:13 PM
ahixon
Well, I don't have time to research this, but you are obviously more of a dog expert than I am, so I will take your word for it. It doesn't matter, I am not breeding her, so I won't add to the world's problems. Only time will tell if she will have health problems, I hope not, and would be willing to bet she won't. One more question, and not to be smart, but how are hybrid dogs getting papers, if they are so bad. Once again I am not trying to be smart, I was just wondering.
May 29th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Well, I don't have time to research this, but you are obviously more of a dog expert than I am, so I will take your word for it. It doesn't matter, I am not breeding her, so I won't add to the world's problems. Only time will tell if she will have health problems, I hope not, and would be willing to bet she won't. One more question, and not to be smart, but how are hybrid dogs getting papers, if they are so bad. Once again I am not trying to be smart, I was just wondering.[/b]
I don't know what kennel club would offer papers on a hybrid dog, certainly not the AKC as they are not recognized breeds. Buyers can request copies of the parent's papers, but there is no way to "legally" register a hybrid dog. Now, seeing as AKC papers are worth as much as the ink they are printed with, I would not put it past some backyard, backhanded breeders to illegally register these dogs as purebred.

May 29th, 2007, 09:54 PM
ahixon
Well, I can't find her dang papers right now, but no she is not registered as a purebreed, it say's on the papers that she is a hybrid, it gives her breeders name, and it also say's something about them not being bred. Also, just because someone is a backyard breeder does not make them a crooked person, or backhanded as you said. The man that we got her from is a very good man, reguardless of what you may think.
May 29th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Well, I can't find her dang papers right now, but no she is not registered as a purebreed, it say's on the papers that she is a hybrid, it gives her breeders name, and it also say's something about them not being bred. Also, just because someone is a backyard breeder does not make them a crooked person, or backhanded as you said. The man that we got her from is a very good man, reguardless of what you may think.[/b]
The American Canine Hybrid Club, seems to exist, but those papers hold no value. They only urge people into a false sense of security that they are not buying a mutt. It is just another way for backyard breeders to make an extra buck by "registering" their dogs with a club that holds zero merit.
I have no respect for backyard breeders, they are one of the biggest reasons that shelters and rescues are overcrowded. Responsible breeders breed to better the breed. Their dogs are proven in conformation and competition rings to be the best of the breed and it's standard. People should not be breeding to make an extra buck, that is what backyard breeders, including hybrid breeders, are doing.

May 30th, 2007, 08:27 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't know a puggle was a pug and beagle! I don't know what I thought... for some reason I was thinking poodle and a pug. Heh.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search