What makes a child intelligent?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 29th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Veteran
Nature or nurture? I am sure heredity plays a role, but I honestly think that your upbringing plays a far bigger role.
May 29th, 2007, 08:23 PM
donomama
I'm not sure. I have one child who is pretty advanced for her age. The other is....not. In fact, I worry that he is a little behind. I am the same mom, and have interacted pretty much the same way with them, so I tend to think that it is more nature than nurture.
May 29th, 2007, 08:33 PM
CJMOM209
I honestly think they both play a part. As well as the education they get growing up.....good teachers
May 29th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Veteran
Well the reason I favor nurture is because my mom was constantly on me about school. I can't count the number of times I said I didn't have homework and my mom found out I did, driving us back to school to get it. Every night she asked me about it. She quizzed me when I was young. VERY actively involved. She was a teacher herself, so perhaps that why. Anywho--I have always had very good grades.

Dh on the other hand--his parents could have cared less. He didn't do his homework, didn't study for tests--and landed in the classes for children who are behind. It wasn't a reflection on his intelligence, but on the lack of involvement by his parents.

I think parents play a significant role.

ETA: IF a child starts out behind, I would think it would be harder for him to ever catch up. If you keep up with everything and learn everything from the beginning--you could be top of your class. I think so much of it is subjective. I don't think people are doomed to have bad grades because of their gene pool.
May 29th, 2007, 08:45 PM
donomama
Quote:
Well the reason I favor nurture is because my mom was constantly on me about school. I can't count the number of times I said I didn't have homework and my mom found out I did, driving us back to school to get it. Every night she asked me about it. She quizzed me when I was young. VERY actively involved. She was a teacher herself, so perhaps that why. Anywho--I have always had very good grades.

Dh on the other hand--his parents could have cared less. He didn't do his homework, didn't study for tests--and landed in the classes for children who are behind. It wasn't a reflection on his intelligence, but on the lack of involvement by his parents.

I think parents play a significant role.[/b]

I do too, but I think you're confusing intellignece with being a good student - they're not the same thing.
May 29th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Veteran
^I thought that for a second too-but no, I'm not.. IQ is inherited IMO. Intelligence or acquired knowledge is not. If your parents stay after you from the beginning--you will continue to learn at each grade level and be confident in your abilities. IF your parents don't care--you don't try. You get behind, you don't understand what is being taught anymore, you give up--affecting your overall knowledge base.
May 29th, 2007, 09:07 PM
ahixon
I think it has to be nature, since all of my kids are raised in the same way, and I have one that is way ahead of the others.
May 29th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
Quote:
IQ is inherited IMO.[/b]
IQ is a measure of intelligence. It is a score derived from standardized tests, it means "intelligence quotient". There is no solid proof that IQ is inherited.

May 29th, 2007, 09:26 PM
chlodoll
I think that all people are born with a different aptitude for different skills. You can raise 3 children the same way and have on excel because thats what is best suited to them. I dont think that makes the other children less intelligent, they just may need a different environment to learn.

I have siblings but they are much older so I was raised much like an only child and all the focus was on me. I could excel because my parents way of raising me and teaching me was adapted to how I learned. I got in trouble in highschool when to much was left on me to be an independent learner which I am not.
May 29th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would say that, like everything else in life, intelligence is a result of both nature and nurture. A child can be born with the capacity for exceptional intelligence but if it is not encouraged or if the child is reared in less than ideal conditions (i.e. severe abuse and neglect situations) that intelligence might never reach its full potential!
May 29th, 2007, 09:37 PM
*Aspen*
Eating lots of mini wheats?
May 29th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Eating lots of mini wheats? [/b]

How about listening to classical music in utero?
May 29th, 2007, 09:55 PM
mommyKathyX3
Quote:
I'm not sure. I have one child who is pretty advanced for her age. The other is....not. In fact, I worry that he is a little behind. I am the same mom, and have interacted pretty much the same way with them, so I tend to think that it is more nature than nurture.[/b]
That is EXACTLY our situation, and I try not to make the "other one" feel that in anyway is she less than a person. She has her thing too, (like she is about a hundred times more graceful than her sister lol).

I think its about a 65/35 split favoring nature. (hows that for specific) I do think that it very easy for the "nurture" part to overwhelm the "nature" part sometimes. Like my husband had a terrible upbringing and never encouraged, so he thought he was slow and stupid. He was never challenged at all. He is very talented in certain things, and honestly isnt slow or stupid in anything. He needed that prodding from me to show him though cause he was told one thing so many times he just accepted it and didnt try. Very very sad. Happens all the time in todays society.
May 29th, 2007, 10:02 PM
CJMOM209
I would like to compare intelligence to a flower:

The seed is there and there is potential to become a beautiful flower but if you don't water it then it won't grow...and there are many different types and shapes of flowers, just like there are many different types and shapes of intelligence.
May 29th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

The seed is there and there is potential to become a beautiful flower but if you don't water it then it won't grow...and there are many different types and shapes of flowers, just like there are many different types and shapes of intelligence.[/b]

Awww...that's beautiful. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy!
May 29th, 2007, 10:44 PM
CJMOM209
Quote:
Quote:

The seed is there and there is potential to become a beautiful flower but if you don't water it then it won't grow...and there are many different types and shapes of flowers, just like there are many different types and shapes of intelligence.[/b]

[/b]

May 29th, 2007, 10:55 PM
mommyKathyX3
Quote:

nice.

I see it simmilar. What flower that flower is has been predetermined, but how much it grows and blossoms is dependant on its "watering" and caring for. Every flower is beutiful in its own way.

Ok, now send me to bed please
May 30th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:

I think parents play a significant role.[/b]

I do too, but I think you're confusing intellignece with being a good student - they're not the same thing.
[/b]
Yup...

Quote:
^I thought that for a second too-but no, I'm not.. IQ is inherited IMO. Intelligence or acquired knowledge is not. If your parents stay after you from the beginning--you will continue to learn at each grade level and be confident in your abilities. IF your parents don't care--you don't try. You get behind, you don't understand what is being taught anymore, you give up--affecting your overall knowledge base.[/b]
IQ is NOT just inherited though. Have you learned nothing from the breastfeeding/formula debates?

Just kidding... No really, CJMOM's description is perfect...

Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
Me too...

Quote:
Quote:

nice.

I see it simmilar. What flower that flower is has been predetermined, but how much it grows and blossoms is dependant on its "watering" and caring for. Every flower is beutiful in its own way.

Ok, now send me to bed please
[/b]
*Points sternly* Off to bed with you!
May 30th, 2007, 01:57 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
I'm not sure. I have one child who is pretty advanced for her age. The other is....not. In fact, I worry that he is a little behind. I am the same mom, and have interacted pretty much the same way with them, so I tend to think that it is more nature than nurture.[/b]
Ditto. If you are talking intelligence, I say nature.
I have 3 kids (not counting the babe, who knows about her) all raised the same thus far. As evaluated by the school board, one is "bright" and while intelligent enough for advancement they don't do that for social reasons. My middle child is average as far as I can tell intelligence-wise. My youngest is delayed. This is how they were born, not how I made them.
Intelligence comes by nature, knowledge by nurture.
You can be highly intelligent and completely ignorant, likewise a person of average or lesser intelligence can be very knowledgeable.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

May 30th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
I wonder about this. I think both can play a role in intelligence. My DH's parents didn't give a lick about his education, though he did very much. I'm not sure if school became his safe place, but he enjoyed it very much. He and his sister were given the same treatment and education.

He's brilliant, both academically and artistically. He has a near genius IQ, but that only plays a small role in the scope of intelligence. School came remarkably easy for him. He barely ever studied, even when he was in military intelligence school.

I don't know, really. Given his upbringing I'd have to say nature in his case.
G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08 | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.17.18.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search