What topics do you stear clear of?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2007, 11:08 AM
*Aspen*
What topics do you all stear (steer?) clear of?

I stayed FAR away from the SAHM/Irresponsibility thread. I didn't even touch it or look in it after I posted. If a thread is becoming too heated due to me having my feelings personally invested into it, I stay away from it. When you get emotionally involved in a debate you don't think with your head but your heart and the debate goes out the window.
May 30th, 2007, 11:11 AM
chlodoll
I pretty much stay out of the abortion debates now. I know what I feel and how I feel and there are some people who will just never see my side of it so it gets tiresome.

I just try to stay out of the ones I know nothing about haha
May 30th, 2007, 11:14 AM
MrsCalhoun's Avatar Ryan Lover
i pretty much stay out of the abortion and ff/bf debates. They're both super touchy subjects, and feelings get easily hurt.

May 30th, 2007, 11:17 AM
CJMOM209
The ff/bf debates and for the most part the religion ones-every once in awhile I will lurk in there or post.
May 30th, 2007, 11:18 AM
*Aspen*
Quote:
i pretty much stay out of the abortion and ff/bf debates. They're both super touchy subjects, and feelings get easily hurt.[/b]
After one particular thread, my debating in the bf/ff has changed.
May 30th, 2007, 11:23 AM
tevinsangel
I stay out of the creation/evolution threads. I don't visit the abortion threads too often because I feel it's not a debate, I figure no one is really going to change their mind on that type of issue.
May 30th, 2007, 11:45 AM
*Aspen*
Quote:
I stay out of the creation/evolution threads. I don't visit the abortion threads too often because I feel it's not a debate, I figure no one is really going to change their mind on that type of issue.[/b]
I stay out of the creation vs evolution thread as well. I don't claim to know where we've come from, but it's interesting reading other ppl argue with no facts.
May 30th, 2007, 12:15 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Well, I steer away from debates with a lot of pages, but only because I post from work and can't keep up with them

I've pretty much also decided to stay out of BF/FF on JM, mainly because I often feel like I'm debating against a wall... I'm not going to gain any ground and it's better for my sanity just to walk away.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 30th, 2007, 12:50 PM
donomama
I don't know if there are any particular topics I purposely stay away from. If it doesn't interest me, if I get too heated discussing it, or I just don't know that much about it, I will generally stay out. I used to stay completely away from religious and abortion debates. I go there sometimes now, but rarely.
May 30th, 2007, 12:54 PM
*Aspen*
I'm really not interested in the abortion debates...... I don't have a stance really. I wish I felt more passionate about it so that I'd feel a need to debate, but I just don't.
May 30th, 2007, 01:13 PM
chlodoll
I think that its the most vocal on abortion who will never change their stance and they are the ones who post lol There are lots of people who dont have a solid stance and those are probably the most effected when lurking in the debates I think.
May 30th, 2007, 01:39 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I stay away from the abortion and religion subforums.

I don't get involved in pets threads because I'm not a pet-owner of animal-lover, so I really have nothing to contribute, and I'd get no enjoyment from reading them.

I've come to the realization that I need to stay away from natural childbirth threads, because it breaks my heart to read them...

May 30th, 2007, 01:45 PM
donomama
Quote:

I don't get involved in pets threads because I'm not a pet-owner of animal-lover, so I really have nothing to contribute, and I'd get no enjoyment from reading them.

I've come to the realization that I need to stay away from natural childbirth threads, because it breaks my heart to read them...[/b]

But look how beautiful and healthy your boys are. In the end, that's what really matters, not how they came out.
May 30th, 2007, 01:46 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:

I've come to the realization that I need to stay away from natural childbirth threads, because it breaks my heart to read them...[/b]
I'm confused......natural childbirth is sad?
May 30th, 2007, 02:10 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
No. Natural childbirth is wonderful, and beautiful, and empowering. My body failed me, and to this day, it still breaks my heart that I was not able to give birth vaginally. Sure, I'm alive and my son is alive, and that's fine and dandy, but hearing other people's beautiful success stories hurts... It's a jealousy issue, so for my own good, I need to avoid those debates.

I'm all for unmedicated births & homebirths, I'll just never be able to experience it.

May 30th, 2007, 02:17 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
No. Natural childbirth is wonderful, and beautiful, and empowering. My body failed me, and to this day, it still breaks my heart that I was not able to give birth vaginally. Sure, I'm alive and my son is alive, and that's fine and dandy, but hearing other people's beautiful success stories hurts... It's a jealousy issue, so for my own good, I need to avoid those debates.

I'm all for unmedicated births & homebirths, I'll just never be able to experience it.
[/b]
I know how you feel. After having Kailey I missed being pregnant so bad that I had a hard time coming online to any of my forums and hearing women talk about being pregnant and about to go into labor.

I'm sorry I can't have a homebirth ever either.
May 30th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I stay away from the abortion subforum, and only dabble a bit in the religion subforum. I also don't get inolved in posts regarding FF vs BF because I'm not a mama yet and can see both sides of the arguement. I also tend to stay away from posts that go nowhere quickly, or get heated with emotions and little logic. It's like circular reasoning and gets tiresome.
May 30th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I also stay away from the abortion debates because my opinion and most others opinions will never change on this issue. I do like to talk about religion, but not debate it. If it gets to heated I pull out. I avoid pet ones too unless it is one about not being a fan of pets- then I will post. Otherwise I think I mostly look at the ones that interest and post what I think if I feel it is something worth my time to post.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 30th, 2007, 06:46 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I try my darndest to stay away from the BF debate board because it makes me sad, but sometimes I go in there. It's hard but at the same time I want to gather more information so that I will be more prepared when the next babe comes along. I also stay away from topics that I have no opinion on, b/c I wouldn't add anything to those debates.
May 30th, 2007, 06:54 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
I try my darndest to stay away from the BF debate board because it makes me sad, but sometimes I go in there. It's hard but at the same time I want to gather more information so that I will be more prepared when the next babe comes along. I also stay away from topics that I have no opinion on, b/c I wouldn't add anything to those debates.[/b]

Not me I ask questions LOL! I start debates all the time that I don't care to participate in if I think others will enjoy it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search