Cow's Milk

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2007, 09:10 PM
*Aspen*
When do you think it's ok to give a child cow's milk?
May 30th, 2007, 09:25 PM
ahixon
I started all of my kids on it on their first birthday's. Is that wrong?
May 30th, 2007, 09:28 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
I started all of my kids on it on their first birthday's. Is that wrong?[/b]
That's the recommended wait time.
May 30th, 2007, 09:32 PM
ahixon
Phew....I thought I was going to have to add that to my how I failed at parenting list. LOL
May 30th, 2007, 09:34 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
Phew....I thought I was going to have to add that to my how I failed at parenting list. LOL[/b]
LOL!!
May 30th, 2007, 09:38 PM
ahixon
Hey, my friend just told me that she started her daughter on it some at 10 months. She said she gave her one glass a day in a sippy cup to get her used to it and the cup, instead of the boob.
May 30th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Veteran
I think whenever they are able to get the nutrients they will lose by stopping formula/breastmilk---this would be through an ability to eat a variety of table foods.
May 30th, 2007, 09:43 PM
*Aspen*
Alyssa takes cows milk, she is 13 months old. Kailey gets ahold of her sippy and as soon as she tastes the milk she throws the cup. LOL! She won't take ANYTHING but breastmilk and the only thing out of a sippy she will take is water.
May 30th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
We gave her goat's milk starting at 12 months and cow's milk at 15. She preferred goat's, but it was getting too expensive.
G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08 | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.17.18.

May 30th, 2007, 10:12 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
When do you think it's ok to give a child cow's milk?[/b]
Never. They get organic goat's milk which is much closer in composition to human milk. Ethan only drinks breastmilk and water.

May 30th, 2007, 10:17 PM
ahixon
I guess I am dumb, do you buy goats milk, I have never seen it before.
May 30th, 2007, 11:00 PM
mommyKathyX3
My oldest didnt have cows milk till she was about 2. She was allergic, and still dislikes it imensly. She took soy and rice milk after she stopped with formula around a year.

Chloe was about a year or a bit over I guess. I'm not sure exactly.

Cade wont have it strait for a while. I'd say at least 18 months. If he self weans by then, I'll pump for the bm in a sippy or bottle. If its IN something (like pudding) he's already had small amounts. I just wont let him drink it strait till around 18 months, (give or take a bit depending on how me and him and doing on the nursing thing)
May 31st, 2007, 06:50 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am currently struggling with this decision myself I am thinking of giving it to her today to try and see how it goes and then waiting a few days for any sign of tummy irritation from it. She eats mainly table foods and I would like to start phasing in milk so that she is off the formula sometime around the 1 year mark.
May 31st, 2007, 07:54 AM
Mia&Mattea'sMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We started at a year old she was only on it for about a month. Then we found out she has an allergy to it, and wasn't gaining any weight she actually lost weight. Her ped has her back on formula until she is 18 months old. Then I going to try cows milk again if she still has an allergy I'm going to go with soy.

Kourtney Mom to Mia 1-7-06
& Mattea 1-20-08
May 31st, 2007, 08:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Our son was 1yr old when I put him on cows milk. He did fine.
May 31st, 2007, 08:37 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
We won't be drinking cow's milk until we get it from ourselves from our own cow. (If anybody knows of a dairy cow for sale in north Michigan or northeast WI, just LMK. )

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

May 31st, 2007, 09:49 AM
Stellaluna's Avatar Super Mommy
Put us in the "Never" camp as well!

Ds started on goat's milk at around a year and then over to almond milk at around 4 years.

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Homeschooling Mom to Sam (3-21-02)

My Photography Website

My Blog - Pollywog in a Blog</span>
May 31st, 2007, 10:09 AM
mommyKathyX3
Quote:
We won't be drinking cow's milk until we get it from ourselves from our own cow. (If anybody knows of a dairy cow for sale in north Michigan or northeast WI, just LMK. )[/b]
Dont know about WI, but Iowa's not too far, and I know you can buy one there. (you can here too in Nebraska, but thats farther for you) I'd LOVE to get my own milk. My relatives own a small dairy farm and its awesome going to visit. The milk tastes totally different.
May 31st, 2007, 10:31 AM
*Aspen*
Almond milk?!?! I've never even heard of that! Is it expensive? How do almonds have milk?
May 31st, 2007, 10:37 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OMG, almond milk is on my grocery list as we speak! I've never tried it, but we're gonna give it a go this month.

Yes, you buy goat's milk. I'm in crunchy California, so I just buy it at the grocery store. You may have to go to a health food store to get it in other areas of the country though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search