What's the point of special education!!!

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2007, 09:56 AM
mom_knows_best's Avatar Super Mommy
I’m so steamed…

A friend of mine has a 19 year old son, he’s been in special education since he was 8 he’s a senior this year and was looking forward to graduating.. 2007 rolls around they tell him he needs to pass Algebra to graduate, he’s already passed Indiana’s Graduation Qualification exam. Then they note, if he doesn’t pass he will be able to go through ceremony and get a certificate of completion. Plus they will help him with summer school. Sounds reasonable right? All that going through the parents plan everything, have a party set for next weekend and this Sunday is Graduation… So they receive a phone call this morning, saying he never passed Algebra One -- and they wont give him a certificate of competition !! They went back on their word. They said no special arrangements were made. The kid is in Special Education he’s worked hard for 13+ years passed all his classes. And just because of a Math Grade they wont even recognize him with a Certificate of competition?? That is just wrong! SHAME on our school board for not giving students with disabilities some kind of recognition.

Waiting on my husband to call me back, left him message at office. The mother is getting ready to call someone, but if they deny it, my husband is a lawyer and told the parents he would fight for the kid..

Whats the point of having special education if they dont help???

</div>
May 31st, 2007, 10:04 AM
Super Mommy
Wow, I think that's terrible, but am curious to know did he not pass Algebra One that the entire body of students take, or did he not pass an Algebra One that was specifically designed for special education?
May 31st, 2007, 10:09 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
That's strange and unfair. Hopefully they can get it fixed so he can get his completion certificate!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

May 31st, 2007, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Wow, I think that's terrible, but am curious to know did he not pass Algebra One that the entire body of students take, or did he not pass an Algebra One that was specifically designed for special education?[/b]

He passed the special education math grades 9,10,11 but Last year of HS they said he needed regular Algebra. Which also makes no since, They have a now 23 year old daughter (also in special education in school) who took 4 years of special education classes without no problem, they never told her she needed to take regular algebra classes. It should of all equaled out.

</div>
May 31st, 2007, 10:16 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Wow, I think that's terrible, but am curious to know did he not pass Algebra One that the entire body of students take, or did he not pass an Algebra One that was specifically designed for special education?[/b]

He passed the special education math grades 9,10,11 but Last year of HS they said he needed regular Algebra. Which also makes no since, They have a now 23 year old daughter (also in special education in school) who took 4 years of special education classes without no problem, they never told her she needed to take regular algebra classes. It should of all equaled out.
[/b]

That was my line of thought, why would he have to pass a regular algebra class when he's been in special education? I hope your husband can help them if noone else does.
May 31st, 2007, 10:25 AM
CJMOM209
Your friend should look in to the special education laws. There are laws governing these situations.
May 31st, 2007, 10:51 AM
The reason their saying that he wont get a completion thing is because it wasn’t marked in a ISP? Which is like a paper keeping track of the students goals, they told the mother & the son in person that he would get the certificate of completion, but someone didn’t write it down on the ISP. Therefore not valid.. There was another teacher there they are trying to get hold of. Maybe she could help it out a little too.

My husband called me back saying he left a message for someone in the department of education that he knows personally.

</div>
May 31st, 2007, 10:53 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
This all depends in what was in his IEP (document written up for SE students that determines what is expected of them and what the school will provide to help them). If it is in his IEP that he was required to pass that class there isn't much they can do about it. Other than what is in the IEP, students who are enrolled in SE are held to regular standards.

You can partly thanks George Bush and the No Child Left Behind Act, although some of this was in place before that.

May 31st, 2007, 10:57 AM
Quote:
This all depends in what was in his IEP (document written up for SE students that determines what is expected of them and what the school will provide to help them). If it is in his IEP that he was required to pass that class there isn't much they can do about it. Other than what is in the IEP, students who are enrolled in SE are held to regular standards.

You can partly thanks George Bush and the No Child Left Behind Act, although some of this was in place before that.[/b]

Maybe thats what she meant, she kept saying ISP

Councilor and Special Education didn’t note it.. But both said in the meeting he WOULD get it, just nobody wrote it down

</div>
May 31st, 2007, 06:57 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
sounds illegal to me.......
May 31st, 2007, 07:12 PM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's really strange. My brother was in special education, and the only thing he had to do to be awarded a high school diploma was pass the FCAT (the Florida qualification exam). He had to take it a few times with special concessions, but he passed, so he got his full-fledged diploma and went on to community college from there. I don't see how they would withhold a diploma from a special ed student if the student met state requirements.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
April 8th, 2015, 03:53 AM
I think this is unfair on their part.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search