Will you talk to your kids about masterbation?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Will you teach your kids about a healthy masterbation relationship?
Yes 49 67.12%
No 24 32.88%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2007, 12:02 PM
*Aspen*
This is always a touchy topic and I've never participated in this debate here. It ALWAYS gets closed...so lets try REAL REAL HARD NOT to get this closed please!!!!!

Debate...
June 1st, 2007, 12:15 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
What do you mean, a "healthy masturbation relationship"? A relationship between two people...or the relationship between yourself and...your...hand...?
June 1st, 2007, 12:18 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
What do you mean, a "healthy masturbation relationship"? A relationship between two people...or the relationship between yourself and...your...hand...?[/b]
LOL! I felt weird saying that but I didn't know how else to word it....LOL!

I see what you are saying. I guess I mean by telling them not to feel ashamed?
June 1st, 2007, 12:19 PM
littleln's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes we will talk to our kids about it. We decided that we don't want them to have any confusion about sex so we're going to be very open about any topic related to sex. So we plan on telling them that it's natural and that they shouldn't be ashamed, but that it is something that should be done in private (much like taking a shower or using the bathroom should be done in private).

But thats just us, everyone is different. We are pretty liberal when it comes to topics related to sex...

Thanks to pattiandthemoos for the great siggy!

<div align="center"></div>

<div align="center"></div>
June 1st, 2007, 12:26 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That last question tripped me up, lol, but I voted yes, yes, yes, no, yes. I believe that masturbation is a healthy and natural part of human sexuality and I will teach my children as such.
June 1st, 2007, 12:32 PM
donomama
I'm not going to be popular! Nope, I don't do it. I don't condemn those that do, and I don't think they are disgusting or dirty, but I will be teaching my children to control themselves. I do think it is a natural desire, however, I think we are born with many natural desires that we have to control. One of my natural desires just happens to be to sit on the couch all day and eat Whoppers (the candy, not the burger). However, I know that it is not the best thing for me or my body. I believe that sex is not a solo sport, and I will teach my kids that those feelings are meant to be shared within a marriage.
June 1st, 2007, 12:40 PM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I awnsered yes,yes,yes no and yes.

Im not going to lie (whats the point) I do it,so I would never show my kids thats its wrong or disguating because I think its totally natural...infact,I would think it was stranger if I met someone who didnt do it! lol.
My son is 10 and since last year he is already at that age where he has discovered that he likes to sit and touch him self (its a boy thing lol).So as soon as I saw that it was starting to be habbit,I explained that if he wanted to do that,he could do so,but in the privacy of his own room because its not something mommy or daddy wanted to see kwim?
I never told him off or made him feel that what he was doing was dirty,I just explained that I understood what he was doing,but that it isnt something that should be done infront of anyone because his "privates" are private.
He understood and Im so glad that I didnt make him feel embaressed about it because I certainly dont want my children to think that its something abnormal that very few people do,because its not.
Of course I havent used the word "masturbation" or gone into great detail (my kids are still too young) but I plan on talking to them openly about it when they are old enough just as I plan on doing with everything else.
Masturbation is as natural as breathing and eating (just as sex is),I have no problem with anyone doing it,I dont feel its a taboo subject and I will pass that onto my kids.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

June 1st, 2007, 12:55 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
Yes we will talk to our kids about it. We decided that we don't want them to have any confusion about sex so we're going to be very open about any topic related to sex. So we plan on telling them that it's natural and that they shouldn't be ashamed, but that it is something that should be done in private (much like taking a shower or using the bathroom should be done in private).[/b]
Ditto. Why would it get closed? I didn't think masturbation was controversial! To be honest I'm really surprised that anyone still believes it's wrong!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

June 1st, 2007, 01:58 PM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
That last question tripped me up, lol, but I voted yes, yes, yes, no, yes. I believe that masturbation is a healthy and natural part of human sexuality and I will teach my children as such.[/b]

June 1st, 2007, 01:59 PM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
ETA: Gina, my son is 4 and I've already caught him 'touching himself'. I've told him that if he had to do that in private, and left it at that.[/b]
lol..I was SO surprised when I caught my son doing it.I wasnt expecting to have to deal with it until he was about 15-16 years old,so I really tried to stay calm and not look as surprised as I really felt.I am naive and asumed my son would never do it!! lol.
I did the same as you..I just said "honey,if you have to do that,thats fine,but dont do it infront of anyone because your willy is something very private"...and guess what?,he went into his room!!
Since then,he showers alone (he wont let me in the bathrom once hes under the shower) and he closes his door when hes in his room,and Im fine with that.

I remember my mom saying things like "If you touch yourself your head will cave in" or "you will get acne" or "Your nose will fall off" etc etc.My mom was soooo against masturbation that she would sit in the hallway outside our (my sister and I) room until she though we were asleep just to make sure we didnt do it.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

June 1st, 2007, 02:25 PM
ahixon
Mine was three yeses and a no, I don't even remember what I answered on the last one, it confused me, glad to see I wasn't the only one. When I say teach my kids about maserbation, I mean I will tell them when it is appropriate to do, such as your room by yourself, quietly so Mom has no idea it is going on. I think it is natural, so I don't think i need to teach them that they will want to do this, blah blah blah. I will tell them that it is okay and there is nothing wrong with it. I would much rather have a child that is masterbating than having sex with God knows who at a young age. All of that said, i can't believe I just said all of that......
June 1st, 2007, 02:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I only Mbate with my partner, never on my own and neither does he.

I think it is healthy, I guess it could become unhealthy if it takes away from your sex life with your partner.

I will talk to my kids but not make it a big deal. "Mbating is healthy, it is a private thing so make sure you are in private" will suffice. No need to go into details or anything
June 1st, 2007, 04:34 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Do you masterbate? (Can I even ask this here?!?! LOL) No.

Do you think masterbation is natural? Other. It is not natural in the sense of "morally right" but it is natural in the sense of occuring in nature.

Will you talk to your kids about masterbation? Eventually, probably.

Will you tell them it's wrong to do? Yes, because it is according to our religious beliefs.

Will you teach your kids about a healthy masterbation relationship? No, because there is no such thing IMO.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

June 1st, 2007, 04:53 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
Do you masterbate? (Can I even ask this here?!?! LOL) No.

Do you think masterbation is natural? Other. It is not natural in the sense of "morally right" but it is natural in the sense of occuring in nature.

Will you talk to your kids about masterbation? Eventually, probably.

Will you tell them it's wrong to do? Yes, because it is according to our religious beliefs.

Will you teach your kids about a healthy masterbation relationship? No, because there is no such thing IMO.[/b]
I just asked Patty because I don't want to get in trouble. She said it was ok as long as we all use proper terminology etc.

If it occurs in nature, how is it not morally right?
I can't help but feel that by telling them it's wrong that it's setting them up to be ashamed with themselves and their bodies.
June 1st, 2007, 05:04 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with you Aspen. I don't see how suppressing natural sexuality is healthy, but that's JMO.
June 1st, 2007, 05:05 PM
Quote:
If it occurs in nature, how is it not morally right?[/b]
Did you happen to catch the thread about homosexual/bisexual animals? I'm being reminded of that thread...

If a young child is in trouble, his/her natural inclination might be to lie- even to blame somebody else- in order to get out of trouble. Or if a child wants something at the store that s/he can't afford, his/her natural inclination might be to just take it. But lying is wrong, and stealing is wrong, despite the fact that they are things people sometimes "naturally" want to do. IMO, masturbation is similar, although admittedly it is more complex than that, but I have to go fix supper.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

June 1st, 2007, 05:10 PM
Quote:
I agree with you Aspen. I don't see how suppressing natural sexuality is healthy, but that's JMO.[/b]
Really quick and then I do have to go fix supper.... What I am saying does not mean suppressing natural sexuality, which I believe to be a God-given gift. It just means reserving that sexuality for its proper context, which in our beliefs is the marital intimacy of husband and wife.

June 1st, 2007, 05:26 PM
*Aspen*
did I spell mastErbate wrong? .......

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search