Mom & Dad~OR~M'am & Sir

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2007, 03:33 PM
*Aspen*
What do your kids call you?

Do you agree with the terms mom and dad.....mam, sir??? Etc....

I think m'am and sir are too strict for my family structure. I'm Kaileys mother...I'm a m'am or miss or w/e to strangers.
June 1st, 2007, 03:36 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Most of the time they call me Mama. When I tell them to do/not do something, they answer "yes ma'am". I still call my mom "ma'am" when appropriate. That's just the way it is for us.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

June 1st, 2007, 03:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Mom and Dad.

My kids will be taught that "ma'am" and "sir" are necessary when addressing other adults (the same way I was), but I don't expect that kind of formality from my own children.

June 1st, 2007, 03:56 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There will be no ma'am or sir in our house, at least to us. That's a little too stiff for me. I do want respect and good manners from my children but that is just too much for my personal tastes. We'll be Mama/Mommy and Dad/Daddy.
June 1st, 2007, 04:54 PM
EmilysMommy04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mama,Mommy, or dada here. there is no way in he double hockey sticks I would ever let my kids call me mam or there fathers sir. They are children not soldiers. I feel mommy mama dada daddy ect ect is part of a loving bonding relationship with families. mam or sir seem very stiff and uncomfy .

June 1st, 2007, 05:16 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know yet because Aden is only 4 months old and she doesn't talk yet lol! She can call me mom, mommy, mama, or whatever. I would never let my kids call me by my first name I think that is just weird. And I agree with jhmomofmany on this, if I tell her to do something or I'm yelling at her then I might expect a yes ma'am, but other than that no.

(my parents are mom and dad to me)
June 1st, 2007, 05:50 PM
donomama
Right now, we're mommy and daddy. (Although DS just started saying Mama. ) I would never tell my children to call us sir and ma'am. It's a family, not the military.
June 1st, 2007, 06:01 PM
I am just learning that in some areas "ma'am" and "sir" are not the custom. When we first moved to Michigan (from Alabama), I had to be very aware of breaking the habit because it seemed to make people uncomfortable. I don't consider it formal or stuffy, but I do consider it respectful and at certain times more appropriate.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

June 1st, 2007, 06:24 PM
donomama
Quote:
Quote:
I am just learning that in some areas "ma'am" and "sir" are not the custom. When we first moved to Michigan (from Alabama), I had to be very aware of breaking the habit because it seemed to make people uncomfortable. I don't consider it formal or stuffy, but I do consider it respectful and at certain times more appropriate.[/b]

I agree. Here in Virginia it just seems to roll off peoples tongues! I get called Ma'am lots of times by older men (I'm only 26) and I used to find it odd, but its just part of the language of the south I guess.
[/b]

You must live in a different part of Virginia than me!!!
June 1st, 2007, 06:33 PM
The cities of the South are not as "Southern" as the little towns and the country.

June 1st, 2007, 06:39 PM
Lol, MD doesn't fit anywhere. We are south to the northerners and north to the southerners I don't know if the ma'am and sir is a southern thing, but I haven't heard it used widely here to parents. Maybe to authority figures but not parents.
June 1st, 2007, 06:52 PM
Parents are authority figures.

June 1st, 2007, 07:06 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
I don't think I've ever heard anyone call their parents sir or ma'am, and I grew up in New Jersey. lol So obviously, no, we won't be using that.
June 1st, 2007, 07:08 PM
*sigh* I knew someone was going to call that out. I am speaking of authority figures such as teachers, police, etc. And FWIW, I don't think I'd say a parent's main job is being an authority figure Then again, I'm not a big fan of authority anyway
June 1st, 2007, 07:16 PM
donomama
Quote:
Lol, MD doesn't fit anywhere. We are south to the northerners and north to the southerners [/b]
I hear you! I don't know where I fit, living in northern Virginia. I don't feel that I'm in the south OR the NE. I was looking at the geographical mommies forums and I didn't fit anywhere. I think they need a mid-Atlantic mommies forum.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search