Foster Care

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2007, 04:54 PM
*Aspen*
Do you think the system is flawed?
June 1st, 2007, 07:16 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OH yea! I am a therapist and I work with so many county kids.... So many of them will age out of the system. Workers are underqualified and overworked. There is not enoughof a system in place to watch foster homes, I could go on for hours.
June 1st, 2007, 07:18 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
The problems with foster care are endless! There are some wonderful examples of good fostering but sadly they aren't the ones we ever hear about. I'd like to be a foster parent some day. I think the system is just so overwhelmed and poorly run that it has gotten a bad name.

June 1st, 2007, 08:03 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
We were going to be involved with fostering, but decided it would be impossible until our own children are much older. I can't help but think part of the problem is that many people go into fostering with rose-colored glasses, thinking only of how good it would be to help a child. And the training they receive is not realistic enough. We are friends with a man who lives with a family of 9 adopted kids (a sibling group), all RAD and various other emotional problems with sexual abuse in their past. I am so thankful that he talked straight to us about the problems that children in foster care are dealing with. We were going through the classes for foster certification, and they NEVER mentioned what he talked to us about. It was difficult for us to decide we simply aren't equipped to help these kids right now, as much as we want to. But I wonder how many folks go through the classes, qualify, and take in their first kids only to be shocked by the reality of it.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

June 3rd, 2007, 05:36 PM
Ms.Michelle
The biggest problem with foster care is that people assume the system is enough. They assume there are enough resources. There isn't. Of course more families but more importantly children fall in the cracks because of it. People need to take it more seriously and allow more taxes to help with resources and workforce. Society has an issue with paying taxes here yet it would save the jails from overcrowding therefore crime. I could go on and on but some people want to pretend this problem is solved in current system. Others know of the issues but have deaf ears fall on the issues.
June 3rd, 2007, 05:49 PM
irishxrose
Quote:
The biggest problem with foster care is that people assume the system is enough. They assume there are enough resources. There isn't. Of course more families but more importantly children fall in the cracks because of it. People need to take it more seriously and allow more taxes to help with resources and workforce. Society has an issue with paying taxes here yet it would save the jails from overcrowding therefore crime. I could go on and on but some people want to pretend this problem is solved in current system. Others know of the issues but have deaf ears fall on the issues.[/b]
Great post Michelle... I agree!
June 4th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know the system is flawed in our area. I used to go to a parenting support group when our son was much younger. A grandma would come. She was fighting for custody of 2 grandkids(brother and sister) County took them from their parents for abuse. They were put in a foster house. The foster parents abused the kids more than they got in their biological home. Grandma would get visitation rights on some weekends. Grandma had evidence of the abuse. Somehow after some months of fighting with county. She finally got them to investigate things. They seen the parents were not fit to be foster parents. Pulled their license to be foster parents. After all that time the kids when through all that before county would believe the kids were being mistreated. The grandma eventually got custody of the grandkids permanently. Of course by now those kids are out of high school The boy was my sons age. He should of just turned 18. Then on the news a couple weeks back. Some people had a small child. Supposedly county was out 3 or 4 times. Said all was fine. Then the child was found dead. An assistant supervisor where I work is a foster mother to a couple school age kids. She says it takes them forever to reimburse her for things she has to buy for the kids. Clothes, school supplies and other necessities they need. So yeah foster care is a mess.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search