Breast Cancer Walks/Charity

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Our city holds a big breast cancer walk in July every year. I'm not sure why they don't hold more...or for more/different cancers. I do know that each county will hold an American Cancer Society 'Relay For Life' at least once per year. My extended family participates each year (last year we brought in just shy of $20,000.00 ). Maybe breast cancer is more prevalent than the others? Not sure, you'd think they'd all get the same recognition.

June 4th, 2007, 02:45 PM
kadydid
I am doing a walk/jog/run next year for charity and it is not for breast cancer.

I think the breast cancer walks are just really well organized and honestly I think it is a bit of a "girl power" type thing. It's not only a great cause but I think it brings women together and that is why they are so popular. Not that men do not participate but many times its a great way for women to support other women and raise money that will help future generations of women.
June 5th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Veteran
Breast cancer does seem to be a very PC disease to give money to, so I think there are a lot of corporate sponsors for events like that. Personally I do not feel that giving to breast cancer is more important than giving to any other type of cancer cause. A very close friend had a great deal of difficulty finding services (support groups, etc) to help their family while his wife was battling esophagal/stomach cancer because there weren't groups dedicated to that cancer, and there was only one small group in our fairly large city that serviced families dealing with any type of cancer.

That said, I must also say that I'm probably biased on this subject. My mother was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer last month. For almost any other cancer, that would be a death sentence. For breast cancer, that was a death sentence 10 yrs ago. Because there is so much money given to breast cancer research, there have been many medical break-throughs in the past several years. I am VERY grateful for the events that have raised the money that will save my mother's life. I am saddened that everyone can't say that about their loved ones who have cancer. If you are feeling moved to help people with other types of cancers, why not get the ball rolling to have an event in your city to raise money? I'm sure there are non-profit and corporate groups who would cooperate with you on something like that.

www.choicesoaps.com - Luxury Handmade Soap
-You've never seen soap like this before!-

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search