Child safty harnesses/leashes

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Child leashes
yes 20 46.51%
no 13 30.23%
maybe to just try it out 10 23.26%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
I don't know if this has already been debated or not but i recently went to Busch Gardens and saw numerous parents walking around with these leashes. They're called the child safety harness w/Leash. I was just wondering what your take on these were. Do you think it's safer? Do you think it's inhuman? I'll add my view later

June 4th, 2007, 06:17 PM
*Aspen*
Yes. When you have multiple children, you only have two hands to hold their hands. These ensure the child won't run off or get lost in a crowd....or see a pretty butterfly and go running after it into a parking lot or street...or a ball or anything.
June 4th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not a HUGE advocate for them, but have seen them used and can see it useful.

For example: We used to live outside New York City. We visited the twin towers, empire state building, statue of liberty, and other touristy-busy places. My brother, at the time 3, tried to run out of a packed elevator. If it weren't for the leash, he would have ran out of that elevator and god only knows what would have happened when my parents finally found him, if they found him.
June 4th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Inhumane? Is it really necessary to throw around words like that? Come on!

I think there is nothing wrong with them at all, especially in a crowded place like amusement parks, airports, etc. You are keeping your child safe, and they are at least getting some exercise instead of being strapped in a stroller all day. Where's the harm in that?

June 4th, 2007, 07:55 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
If I didn't occasionally use one, my youngest boy, who has autism and doesn't always notice us calling him or cars going by etc, might easily come to harm because I cannot have my eyes and hands on him at all times and it's not always practical to have him in a stroller. I think they are great when used as they are intended. If someone was tying out their child like a dog, then no, but when used as a safety device with the other end held by the caregiver I think they are a good thing.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

June 4th, 2007, 08:03 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't understand, truly, how any parent could be against these things. It's like holding the childs hand, except you aren't. It gives the child limited free reign. Whats the harm?!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
June 4th, 2007, 08:10 PM
donomama
Quote:
I don't understand, truly, how any parent could be against these things. It's like holding the childs hand, except you aren't. It gives the child limited free reign. Whats the harm?![/b]

ITA! It's like a go-go-gadget arm for a mom. I haven't used one for my daughter, but I predict it's just a matter of time before my son needs one.... I won't use it everyday, but if we're at a theme park or other crowded place, I would in a second.
June 4th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Tofu Bacon
I have one but haven't used it. Nothing against them, they just don't appeal to me. I just worry about giving ds a false sense of security and forego handholding, especially since it'll probably take him about 5 seconds to find his way out of the harness . But that's just me; I don't look at them and say "Oh, what a horrible way to treat a child," its just another way of keeping a child safer.
June 4th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Quote:
I just worry about giving ds a false sense of security and forego handholding, especially since it'll probably take him about 5 seconds to find his way out of the harness .[/b]
Not the one I have - I dare any child to get out of it! It's not the velcro kind, it has the kind of buckles that are on lifejackets, has adjustable straps and does up in the back. The harness part is dark navy blue and can stay on (excellent for putting it on before going out and having him forget it's there, and for comfort in the car seat), and the leash part clips to it when needed.

June 4th, 2007, 09:35 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would have no problem using one. My little brother is 10 years younger than I am and he was a runner lol! Little kids move so darn fast, and if we hadn't put a leash on him he would have probably gotten lost numerous times.

I think it's better to put a leash (okay harness) on your child than for them to be abducted by some crazy person.
June 4th, 2007, 10:35 PM
ahixon
Quote:
If I didn't occasionally use one, my youngest boy, who has autism and doesn't always notice us calling him or cars going by etc, might easily come to harm because I cannot have my eyes and hands on him at all times and it's not always practical to have him in a stroller. I think they are great when used as they are intended. If someone was tying out their child like a dog, then no, but when used as a safety device with the other end held by the caregiver I think they are a good thing.[/b]
What, have you actually seen someone doing this, or are you just using it as an example? I was horrified when I read that. I have a harness, i have never used it, I can't ever seem to find the harness and the leash at the same time. I don't have a problem with them, but I can remember my Mom hating them, she would alway's say there was no way she was going to walk her child on a leash like a dog. It is funny now thinking about her saying that, because she was not the type to have a problem with anything anyone did as long as it didn't bother her or her family. I am so not like her. LOL
June 4th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Quote:
If I didn't occasionally use one, my youngest boy, who has autism and doesn't always notice us calling him or cars going by etc, might easily come to harm because I cannot have my eyes and hands on him at all times and it's not always practical to have him in a stroller. I think they are great when used as they are intended. If someone was tying out their child like a dog, then no, but when used as a safety device with the other end held by the caregiver I think they are a good thing.[/b]
What, have you actually seen someone doing this, or are you just using it as an example? I was horrified when I read that. I have a harness, i have never used it, I can't ever seem to find the harness and the leash at the same time. I don't have a problem with them, but I can remember my Mom hating them, she would alway's say there was no way she was going to walk her child on a leash like a dog. It is funny now thinking about her saying that, because she was not the type to have a problem with anything anyone did as long as it didn't bother her or her family. I am so not like her. LOL
[/b]
No, I have never seen that, but hubby made a joke when I just told him about this debate, and said "Tell them our local coffee shop has a toddler hitching post, with bowls of cheerios and legos within reach, and all the parents just clip their kids to it while they have their espressos." He was kidding. But it made me think, okay, what if someone were to do just that, use a harness/leash as a babysitter - I would totally be against that.

June 4th, 2007, 11:48 PM
irishxrose
I plan on buying one here soon... Joshua's walking and he's bound to discover he can run soon!

I see no harm in them as long as they are used as they were intended.
June 5th, 2007, 06:11 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My brother has severe ADHD and all sorts of other issues. He got lost in public places as a matter of routine it seems to me. I remember as a kid I'd be like, "Here we go again! Now my mom is going to freak out all over again." She finally got him one of those harnesses, and she got so many nasty comments she stopped.

I'd definitely consider one now. My little one year old is running already and hasn't really gotten the hang of handholding. (Plus, she's so tiny, I have to hunch over to reach her hand!) I think it'd be great for certain situations. She's already begging to be let out of the stroller to run around.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
June 5th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have no issue with them at all! It does look a little silly but I've learned never to say never as I'm doing some things now I swore I'd "never" do!
June 5th, 2007, 07:53 AM
EmilysMommy04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Personally I love them. They are not dog leashes. When Emily learned she could run she would bolt. She didnt want her hand held she wanted to do it all on her own. SO I bout a safety first one. I did get 2 comments and I shut the 2 people up quick. I said yeah I let her off her harness so she bolts gets run over and dies what a great parent I would be. They are not inhumane They are safety. Inhumane would be if I tied her harness to the porch and then gave her a bowl of water and dog food in a dish. Or even made it a runner lol. I will use them with my next child too.

June 5th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had one for miguel. There's no way I'd be able to handle him without it.

June 5th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here is my son wearing his. Cute, eh?

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing

We actually hardly ever clip the leash on, but he still brings it to us everyday making his monkey sounds because he wants help putting it on. He loves to wear it around the house, lol.

June 5th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Add me to the "I'd use it in a heartbeat" club! I'm looking at the doggie back pack one. BUT, BEFORE I go that step...I am going to get him used to holding my hand. I do NOT want a "leash" to replace that. He's already bad about not wanting to hold my hand...and I hate that! So once he's good about it (we never go anywhere crowded so generally just let him go) then and ONLY then will I get the harness.

Now, come on ladies...WHERE'S THE DEBATE??? I know there have been people against this...where are they?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search