Children/Feminism/Society

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 5th, 2007, 06:03 PM
*Aspen*
Ok, so with all the equality debates lately, I've been thinking. I know many are raising their children as complete equals and are trying to raise them without the stigmas that society associates with each gender.

Unless the whole world as one changes into this view over-night, children will have to face the stigma world at school, society, t.v., magazines..media in general....etc.

I'm just wondering how you plan on combating this? Do you think that your children will change to fit in with their friends or do you think they will take your words and their upbringing to heart? I'm just curious how you plan to do these things etc..
June 5th, 2007, 06:20 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I'm hoping my child will help to change the world instead of the world changing him. [/b]

oh my gosh, can I please steal that quote?!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
June 5th, 2007, 06:25 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
I'm hoping my child will help to change the world instead of the world changing him. [/b]
Ditto, and love how you worded that!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

June 5th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I don't really understand this question, but if coughburp's answer applies, then I totally echo it. It's a beautiful summary of what I think most parents want for their children.

June 5th, 2007, 07:54 PM
*Aspen*
LOL, I think the quote rocks and is peachy king and all....but I'm wanting the nitty gritty. LOL!!

Your son hits back at school because when he doesn't want to he's taunted...Or he's made fun of in school to be made seem wimpy since he doesn't do those "guy" things. Maybe he is seen as an outcast now by his peers because he's "different". How do you counter-act your child's feeling of loneliness by his peers?

Is this making sense? Like, if situations like this happen (not exactly like this, but you know what I'm meaning right? And this goes for girls as well..) what will you do?
June 5th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
LOL, I think the quote rocks and is peachy king and all....but I'm wanting the nitty gritty. LOL!!

Your son hits back at school because when he doesn't want to he's taunted...Or he's made fun of in school to be made seem wimpy since he doesn't do those "guy" things. Maybe he is seen as an outcast now by his peers because he's "different". How do you counter-act your child's feeling of loneliness by his peers?

Is this making sense? Like, if situations like this happen (not exactly like this, but you know what I'm meaning right? And this goes for girls as well..) what will you do?[/b]
Well I will teach my son that he doesn't get his worth from others because he is a child of God, a Prince of the Most High! And God loves and cherishes Him unconditionally. I will teach him how to be a man in the Biblical sense. Likewise I will teach all of my future children about their identity in Christ and ultimately it doesn't matter what others think of them because they belong to God while at the same time being careful of how they live because they are (or will be hopefully) ambassadors for Christ.
I'm sure their will be times when they feel the pressure of outsider opinion but I pray that me and my dh's teachings will stick with them so they know their true worth as a child of God, bought with a price because Jesus desired them so much to belong to him!
I hope this made sense.

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

June 6th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I would like for my son to help his peers see things differently and I plan to teach him to do just that. I want him to know that it is o.k. to be different that true friends are the ones who want to be your friend no matter what.[/b]

June 6th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

Is this making sense? Like, if situations like this happen (not exactly like this, but you know what I'm meaning right? And this goes for girls as well..) what will you do?[/b]
Maybe I don't qualify to answer this question...because I still don't understand.

I plan to raise my kids to understand that both sexes - both genders (and yes, there is a difference) - deserve equal respect, equal opportunities, equal consideration, etc. What "guy" things would a child raised this way not participate in? I won't encourage my kids from participating in traditionally gender-specific activities just because they are of that gender, but I also won't discourage them from participating if that's what they are interested in. If my child hits another child because s/he's being verbally taunted, then that will go against another principle I plan to teach my kids - that violence is unacceptable.

So maybe I just don't understand, but could you clarify? Because gender discussions always interest me so even if I can't participate, I'd like to be able to follow along.

June 6th, 2007, 01:05 PM
*Aspen*
Ok, your kid is raised differently from the "norm" because society is stuck into these "roles" for males and females. Your child starts to notice the differences in these roles and what is expected of him/her by "society" once they start going to school. If they start expressing this concern and playing into the "roles" because they don't want to feel like an outsider from their peers, what will you do? Like, what will your talk with your child consist of kwim?

Does that help make more sense?

I just want to clarify that this isn't a debate, I'm just truly curious!!! This seemed like the best place to ask since so many women here are up to par on this.
June 6th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
With homeschooling he can do what he wants. When he's old enough to realize that some think differently about genders hopfuly he's strong enough in his beliefs to not be swayed by others.

June 6th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Ok, your kid is raised differently from the "norm" because society is stuck into these "roles" for males and females. Your child starts to notice the differences in these roles and what is expected of him/her by "society" once they start going to school. If they start expressing this concern and playing into the "roles" because they don't want to feel like an outsider from their peers, what will you do? Like, what will your talk with your child consist of kwim?

Does that help make more sense?

I just want to clarify that this isn't a debate, I'm just truly curious!!! This seemed like the best place to ask since so many women here are up to par on this.[/b]

Ahhhh. I think I understand now.

I guess I don't see where the problem would arise in the first place. I mean, if my daughter wants to be a cheerleader because all of her girlfriends are doing it, I will want to make sure that it's really something she wants to do. We'll have a discussion about peer pressure and I will encourage to be her OWN person. If my son wants to be a cheerleader and has to deal with pressure from the boys in his school, I will encourage him to recognize his strength rather than their weaknesses. If he wanted to quit because of the influence of his peers, I'd have the same conversation about peer pressure and living for oneself, but I certainly wouldn't force him to remain.

Does that make sense? (I don't have a son. This is all hypothetical, of course. ) And of course, this is all the ideal. We'll take each situation as it comes along. I just don't see how this type of peer pressure is any different than any other peer pressure. I think I would handle it the same way.

Maybe I'm just not as extreme a case as what you're asking about? LOL I'm sorry to continue to sound dense about this. I just feel like I'm missing a big component of the question.

June 6th, 2007, 08:26 PM
chlodoll
Sorry to hijack but Momo your son is so stinking cute!!

Now continue! haha
June 6th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Sorry to hijack but Momo your son is so stinking cute!!

Now continue! haha[/b]
Thanks!!! So is yours, in fact, our boys look like they could be related! I think you've mentioned that before...

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search