The way prisoners are REALLY treated....

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2007, 02:09 AM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OK. I am fully expecting to get alot of flack for this post, but that's OK.

I was going to post this under the "How should pedophiles be punished?" thread, but I think it applies to alot of other topics.

I have seen time and time again, not just here,but on tv, etc, people say things like "I think they should let him rot in prison", or "Lock him up and throw away the key"...etc.

Well, my Dh is a prison guard (correctional officer), and yes, I can only speak for what goes on in CA prisons, but I have a suspicion that i is similar scross the country. My Dh has worked in 4 different prisons across the state, and has friends in several others. i am not exaggerating anything I am [osting here, it is all true and can be proven.

Here is what prison life is like:

Cable TV

Movie nights several times a week (yeah, like at camp!)

Steak dinners twice a week

BBQs once a week

When served broccoli, HAVE TO BE SERVED a certain ratios of florets to stems.

Better dental care than I have.....if an inmate has a toothache, they HAVE TO BE SEEN within 24 hours or they can and will sue the state. (uh, I usually have to wait a few days for an appointment!)

WAY BETTER medical care than i have. 3 times, in the last year and a half, an inmate was transported several hundred mile to have a specialized orthopedic surgeon examine and perform surgery on them....for things like slipped disks, etc. When this occurs, the state has to pay for the ambulance, doctors, hospitalization, guards to supervise the inmate 24 hours a day, and a whole host of other things.

Inmates are REQUIRED to be given NAME BRAND medication. They are not allowed to be given a generic form. Also, Every singe inmate that has a condition that needs medicating, HAS to be given those meds. Sound fair? Well, of course, EXCEPT, many of those inmates refuse to take their medications, for different reasons. OVER 80 PERCENT OF THESE MEDICATIONS ARE FLUSHED DOWN TOILETS. We are talking about very expensive drugs, HIV and AIDS medication, many antidepressants, TB drugs, cancer medications, etc, etc......The medications are despensed (by law), and the guards sit there and watch the inmates cheek them , and flush them. Nothing they can do.

Child Molesters , child murderers, and perpetrators of horrible crimes are given protective custody. Since may other inmates hate these kinds of criminals, and would likely assault, rape, etc, these inmates, they are put in a special, private building, with others of their kind, and protected. Who protected their victims?

This is only the start of my list......it is late and I will be back to add more. i just had to get this off my chest. So many people feel like prison, or life in prison, would be a horrible punishment.........well, a lot of the INMATES THEMSELVES, refer to it as "Summer Camp." My DH, when he sees horrible crimes, etc, on the news, and hears that the perpetrator is getting "life in prison", often gets teary eyed. He has said many times that he does not know how he would possible cope or remain sane if something happened to Ella or I, and the person got "life". He sees these people laughing about their crimes every day, and getting ridiculous privledges and rights that many Americans who have NEVER COMMITTED A CRIME are granted.

It is disgusting.

June 6th, 2007, 03:05 AM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It seems bizarre prison inmates would be given such special treatment and attention. I'm sure being in jail is no picnic but it definitely sounds like some of them have it better than a lot of American families. It saddens me that criminals would have better dental and health insurance than most people. What about all of the innocent families that can't see a dentist, doctor, or receive prescription medication because of financial problems? I don't think inmates should be treated inhumanely, but come on, they can wait longer than 24 hours for a dental appointment and receive generic medications instead of name brand.

</div>
June 6th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Exactly. But it is the sad truth. If you would have told me HALF the things about the way prisoners are treated a few years ago, I would have thought you were crazy. Now, having a husband who is a guard, i know all the ins and outs. And it is disgusting. My Grandfather, a senior citizen, who served our country in WWII. and has worked his butt off his whole life........he has less benefits and rights than our prisoners have.....

And my mom, she is a counselor for pregnant teens, and kids in foster care, and the foster care system....she has NO dental insurance, and her health insurance is nowhere NEAR as good as the care inmates get in CA.

June 6th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh dont even get me started on this subject!!
We have a new prison here (the old one was knocked down) and it may as well be a 5 star hotel! These are some of the "luxuries" all inmates have:

1:Gym

2:Heated pool

3:Movie theater

4:A small mall where they can buy tabacco,clothes and toiletry items.

5:A university where they can study any carreer (from hairdressing to a doctor!) FOR FREE! Includes full equipped library.

6:Sexual encounters with a prostitute (which our government pays for!) or their partners once a week in a private,homely room.

7:Spa

8:Healthy food that consists of a 3 course menu ( fresh meats,fish,lugumes,vegatables etc etc) twice a day (not including breakfast which is a buffet.

9:TV in their cell.

10:Colourful cells for mental stimulation.

11rivate medical service 24/7

12:Music system in cell where the radio channel of their choice can be played.

13:Common rooms to watch TV,chat,play board games etc,all with comfy furniture.

14:Oh,and the worst of all..they get paid monthly!!!! Money gets transferred into an acount each month so that they have money for their needs.Its not alot,but come on!!!??

Now I know all of this because we had a big campagne about it and there were posters all over the place showing off the inside of this place..Honstly,If I didnt know better,I would have been making my resrevation for my vacation
The people in there are criminals and they get more luxuries than if they were at home.Infact,when people come out of prison here,they hold fond memories of it Then our government wonder why there is such a high crime rate now
Im not saying that they should be locked in a concrete room with no food or water..but for gods sake! Since when do inmates get to have sex with a prostitute in jail!!?? and in a "homely" room!!?? They have a freakin mall!!!!
They may as well be sent to disney land!

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

June 6th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Oh dont even get me started on this subject!!
We have a new prison here (the old one was knocked down) and it may as well be a 5 star hotel! These are some of the "luxuries" all inmates have:

1:Gym

2:Heated pool

3:Movie theater

4:A small mall where they can buy tabacco,clothes and toiletry items.

5:A university where they can study any carreer (from hairdressing to a doctor!) FOR FREE! Includes full equipped library.

6:Sexual encounters with a prostitute (which our government pays for!) or their partners once a week in a private,homely room.

7:Spa

8:Healthy food that consists of a 3 course menu ( fresh meats,fish,lugumes,vegatables etc etc) twice a day (not including breakfast which is a buffet.

9:TV in their cell.

10:Colourful cells for mental stimulation.

11rivate medical service 24/7

12:Music system in cell where the radio channel of their choice can be played.

13:Common rooms to watch TV,chat,play board games etc,all with comfy furniture.

14:Oh,and the worst of all..they get paid monthly!!!! Money gets transferred into an acount each month so that they have money for their needs.Its not alot,but come on!!!??

Now I know all of this because we had a big campagne about it and there were posters all over the place showing off the inside of this place..Honstly,If I didnt know better,I would have been making my resrevation for my vacation
The people in there are criminals and they get more luxuries than if they were at home.Infact,when people come out of prison here,they hold fond memories of it Then our government wonder why there is such a high crime rate now
Im not saying that they should be locked in a concrete room with no food or water..but for gods sake! Since when do inmates get to have sex with a prostitute in jail!!?? and in a "homely" room!!?? They have a freakin mall!!!!
They may as well be sent to disney land![/b]
Thank you, for the validation. It is so disgusting, and so many people are fooled into thinking that prison is this horrific place. Well, it isn't. And I have proof.

June 6th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Thank you, for the validation. It is so disgusting, and so many people are fooled into thinking that prison is this horrific place. Well, it isn't. And I have proof.[/b]
I know what you mean.Even I used to think it was awful..I mean,in the movies its made to look like he** on earth.But when our new prison was built and they showed the inside of it on our local news and in the papers,I was like "WTH!!??"
A few inmates were interviewed and one was studying to be a lawyer in there! They all looked well fed and clean (far from what I had seen on TV kwim?) and the only thing that they all agreed on was that although the prison wasnt a bad place to be,there was still someone telling them when to go to bed and when to get up etc..well,yeah! What do they expect!? Room service too?? Or maybe a butler?
I just dont see how someone who has all these luxuries can feel that they are being punished for what ever it is they did.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

June 6th, 2007, 05:51 AM
*Aspen*
This makes me so sad, and disheartened. I expected more from our country....

*possibly re-instates the death penalty* LOL! I'm just kidding about that.....maybe....
June 6th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with you Ianthe....it is horrible that the prisoners have such great amenities in jail! What got me was the sex with prostitute that our government pays for! Maybe they are hoping to decrease the amounts of rape or something! Some people probably try to go to jail because they will have a better quality of life than what they would outside of jail!

The only thing I can say might be different around here is the medication thing. Our practice has a client that was not given his psych meds in prison. They just simply refused to give it to him.....so who knows if that happens all the time or not!
June 6th, 2007, 06:20 AM
XxTequilaSunrisexX
Well no wonder when people get out of jail they do not care about going back, it is like going to a 5 star freaking hotel without the room service.

The pathetic thing is peoples taxes pay for all this. Working citizens are paying for these inmates who kill, rape and molest kids to eat these good meals, have that cable TV, get those medications and all that other crap.

I really get sick of hearing about how some prisons like Alcatraz were so bad and the prisoners were treated so badly, umm hello they are criminals they deserved to be treated like that.

This is how you know prisons are so freaking great, there are actually dozens of people who would prefer to be in prison then in the outside world, THATS SAYING SOMETHING!

I am waiting for the day they start taking prisoners on freaking field trips
June 6th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Tofu Bacon
Quote:
The only thing I can say might be different around here is the medication thing. Our practice has a client that was not given his psych meds in prison. They just simply refused to give it to him.....so who knows if that happens all the time or not![/b]
It does happen. My brother died of kidney failure in prison because he was adequate denied medical care.
June 6th, 2007, 07:28 AM
ashley *'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
The only thing I can say might be different around here is the medication thing. Our practice has a client that was not given his psych meds in prison. They just simply refused to give it to him.....so who knows if that happens all the time or not![/b]
It does happen. My brother died of kidney failure in prison because he was adequate denied medical care.
[/b]
And my cousin walked around for a week with a broken jaw, and a tooth infection that was this _ close to spreading to his blood. But yea, most of that other stuff they do have.
June 6th, 2007, 07:33 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If that's what regular inmates get then imagine what Paris Hilton will get in prison! I wonder if they will let her have an interior decorate do her cell up all nice and pretty? And the guards will probably go to Taco Bell and In and Out burger to get her food. Hell, her chihauhaus will probably have their OWN cell.

I think rapists and murderers should get really harsh treatment. But for people that are in prison for like embezzlement and insider trading...I could really care less about them. They can watch cable TV all they want.
But yeah, child rapists and murderers should be put with all the other prisoners, maybe they could use a taste of their own medecine
June 6th, 2007, 08:00 AM
donomama
INanthe - is this a minimum or maximum security facility you are talking about?
June 6th, 2007, 08:04 AM
*Aspen*
Quote:
I remember an old case (I believe it was in British Columbia) where an inmate sued the prison because he was playing basketball in the gym, slipped on something wet on the floor and broke his leg I think he got a nice settlement out of it too. Instead of working my butt off, I'm going to go hold up a liquor store, get sent to jail and sue them for something that happened to me during "leisure time" while I was incarcerated.[/b]
same here lol
June 6th, 2007, 08:18 AM
chlodoll
Its still prison. Some of them are there for life, no matter how many accommodation's they get it will never compare to the outside world. I dont care if an inmate gets to watch a movie in prison, just as long as its not in my movie theatre. And for those who get out its not like their life goes back to normal, most people dont hire convicts. So I dont care, I just care that they are there away from society. And not all prisoners committed atrocious crimes, and not all of them are guilty.
June 6th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
These criminals are still human beings. I see no problem with nutritious food and some entertainment being provided, as well as medical care. Just because they are incarcerated does not mean they should be neglected. I think it is also necessary to keep stress levels, and thus violence, at a minimum in these facilities. There is still a constant fear of being killed, raped, attacked, etc.. for these people. Not to mention the 23hr lockup. It hardly sounds like summer camp to me.

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
June 6th, 2007, 09:09 AM
*Aspen*
Quote:
Ask someone who lives below the poverty line if they get to watch movies every week, have healthy balanced meals, medical (especially dental) care, recreation time, etc. And there are great programs to help ex-convicts. A friend of our family was let out of prison (he was there for unpaid child support, not a violent crime but he broke the law nonetheless) and was given a list of apartments for rent and the government paid for his first month's rent. They also helped get him a job and he knew of plenty of inmates who were getting schooling while in there to further themselves. Look at Karla Homolka, she got a degree in psychology after torturing, raping and murdering.[/b]
Not having a stable home, job (poverty) etc....is one of the reasons that many criminals turn into criminals. By helping them get on their feet and feel worthy of themselves, they are more inclined to abide by the law. I'm not saying this how I want to be saying it, I'm sure someone else will follow (I hope).

You can't take a criminal, put them on the doorstep of prison and say "there you go, you're done".....what will they do? Most likely revert back to some sort of crime to pay for food and clothing....therefore getting sucked back into the criminal world. It's a viscious cycle. They must be given help in order to break that cycle and move on and out of it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search