Tubes Ties/Hysterectomy

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2007, 08:17 AM
*Aspen*
Do you think there should be an age limit on when women are allowed to get a hysterectomy or their tubes tied? Do you think there should be an age limit, but if they have kids already, that they should be able to whenever they want because they already have children?
June 7th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think if they already have children, then 18+.

If they don't have children, then I don't think the doctor should perform it. Even if they want it. They might change their mind ten years down the road.

They should get an IUD instead, those last a long time. Or those tubes that can be implanted in your arm as birth control. Just not something permanent. You can't reverse a hysterectomy!

June 7th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
18+, unless a medical issue warrants it before then.

I think that if the woman (adult) wants it done without a medical issue, then I think that counseling should be offered, and all other options should be considered. But in the end, it's HER body, HER choice ( , yep, you heard right people! A prolife fanatic shouting the prochoice mantra, only in it's correct context Had to put that in their folks, sorry!).[/b]

DARN IT! I FELL RIGHT INTO HER TRAP! ((never trust prolifers Michelle. When will you learn?))

Quote:
Do you think there should be an age limit on when women are allowed to get a hysterectomy or their tubes tied? Do you think there should be an age limit, but if they have kids already, that they should be able to whenever they want because they already have children?[/b]
Any age over the age of 18 unless medically necessary. No one should decide how many children people should or shouldn't have.

Quote:
You can't reverse a hysterectomy![/b]
But you can adopt.
June 7th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Actually,here,there is an age limit to when you can get these things done.Unless you have 3 kids,you cant have it done before the age of 25.Of course if you have what is considered a "numerous family",then you can have done at any age after the third.
My husband was done after we had our daughter,and he actually looked into getting a vasectomy done,but he was considered too young,and when he asked about me getting it done,I was also considered to young.
Im SO glad that law exsists! Because if it didnt,I wouldent be TTC now.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

June 7th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Actually,here,there is an age limit to when you can get these things done.Unless you have 3 kids,you cant have it done before the age of 25.Of course if you have what is considered a "numerous family",then you can have done at any age after the third.
My husband was done after we had our daughter,and he actually looked into getting a vasectomy done,but he was considered too young,and when he asked about me getting it done,I was also considered to young.
Im SO glad that law exsists! Because if it didnt,I wouldent be TTC now.[/b]
But, if you had those procedures, they could've been reversed. What about those people who can't get one (and I never knew that you could have one before 25 if you have x amount of kids), and want one? They should just remain celibate? While that may work for some, it is not for everyone. I am not a sex fiend (or is it feen? lol) by any means, but I really don't think I could go without ANY sex for well...hmm...it is only two years away...geez, I am getting old...

Ok, but still! LOL, back when I was INSISTING to have one done (19, 20 and 21, and 22), I could NOT get one. It really peeved me off. It isn't fair. It's my body and my choice.
[/b]
There are many other forms of BC,so by no means would you have to go without sex,youd just have to use something else until you are the age that is required to have something permanent done kwim? To me,its no big deal..infact,I think its a good idea because you dont know what could happen in the future and you could change your mind,and I certainly wouldent want to have surgery again just to have kids kwim?
I was GLAD I couldent get it done (it was DH who didnt want any more kids,not me) so I just went on the pill..and its a good thing to,because 7 years later DH changed his mind about having more kids and as you can see,we are TTC.
I actually know girls who have sworn up and down that they didnt want any more kids,then years later,they have changed their minds..so to me,its not a bad idea to put an age limit on this kind of thing,because there are other ways to prevent a pregnancy in the mean time..it doesnt have to be as drastic and permanent as a tubal or a H.
Also,the possibilities of getting pregnant again after tubal reversal arent very high,yet the risk of an ectopic pregnancy after the procedure is..so to me,it should be considered something permanent.
I would never get a tubal thinking "oh never mind,it can be reversed"...in that case,why not use something else kwim?

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

June 7th, 2007, 10:27 AM
donomama
Over the age of 18. At that point, they are considered an adult. Sure, they might change their mind, but if they made the decision as an adult, they can live with the consequences.

I think there would be fewer abortions if people were allowed to get them when they want.
June 7th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
I think there would be fewer abortions if people were allowed to get them when they want.[/b]
ITA.
June 7th, 2007, 10:32 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know about the age thing really. I think that any woman who gets a hystorectomy or a tubal should think long and hard about it because your life can change a LOT in just a few years, and who knows- what if you really end up wanting another child and then you don't have a uterus!?!? I know you can adopt and everything but still!
DH knows that if anyone is getting fixed it's gonna be him lol.
June 7th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
DH knows that if anyone is getting fixed it's gonna be him lol.[/b]
Dh is the same way! I have to tell you though to retest after the operation. My ex-boss needed three of these! (He's proud as punch of it and the son that accidently came along.)
June 7th, 2007, 10:44 AM
donomama
Vasecomies - My DH is such a wimp when it comes to this. He practically breaks out in hives whenever I even bring it up. I just tell him that after popping out 3-4 kids, having 4th degree tears on my vagina, morning sickness and stretch marks, a 45 minute outpatient surgery is the LEAST he can do to contribute to our family planning.
June 7th, 2007, 10:46 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
Do you think there should be an age limit on when women are allowed to get a hysterectomy or their tubes tied? Do you think there should be an age limit, but if they have kids already, that they should be able to whenever they want because they already have children?[/b]
I think they should be legally an adult, so what is that here, 18?
Even if they have no kids. It's their body.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

June 7th, 2007, 10:51 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Vasecomies - My DH is such a wimp when it comes to this. He practically breaks out in hives whenever I even bring it up. I just tell him that after popping out 3-4 kids, having 4th degree tears on my vagina, morning sickness and stretch marks, a 45 minute outpatient surgery is the LEAST he can do to contribute to our family planning[/b]
Good point lol! After all we go through to have the babies, what men have to do to prevent it is nothin!
June 7th, 2007, 10:59 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Vasecomies - My DH is such a wimp when it comes to this. He practically breaks out in hives whenever I even bring it up. I just tell him that after popping out 3-4 kids, having 4th degree tears on my vagina, morning sickness and stretch marks, a 45 minute outpatient surgery is the LEAST he can do to contribute to our family planning.[/b]
AMEN!!!!

DH already knows his fate!

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
June 7th, 2007, 11:20 AM
*Aspen*
Quote:
Quote:
Vasecomies - My DH is such a wimp when it comes to this. He practically breaks out in hives whenever I even bring it up. I just tell him that after popping out 3-4 kids, having 4th degree tears on my vagina, morning sickness and stretch marks, a 45 minute outpatient surgery is the LEAST he can do to contribute to our family planning.[/b]
AMEN!!!!

DH already knows his fate!
[/b]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search