Bringing kids to work

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
IDK, if this is a big debate or not, but here it is.

I lifeguard, I don't get paid a heck of a lot of money per hour. Actually, I would be going negative if I hired a sitter for my daughter so I could work lifeguarding. So with that said, we have a "mandatory" training on Monday [not in the pool, could totally bring DD with, put her in a carrier or stroller and be good to go]. Well, everybody I've talked to, charges $10+ an hour, even friends - so I'd be going negative by almost $3 per hour. Totally not worth it. DO you skip the meeting, do you tell them you can only come if you bring the DC, bit the bullet and end up going negative to pay for a sitter? I feel really bad, because my manager has called me several times, very last minute [like an hour before a shift starts] to come in. I told him day 1, that I have a daughter and I need advance notice so I can *try* to work something out. I am already having DH leave work early 1 day a week, and make up those hours by going in early or staying late. The only time we all have together as a family, is the evenings. So, what do you do? I'm so torn! I have always been the type of employee to say, "sure what time do you need me?", so this is very difficult for me, because I feel like I'm not reliable in an emergency situation - and I told not only my immedite manager but the company president that I can only work weekends, or weekdays with far advance warning. All of which said, "no problem".
June 8th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You don't have any friends who would be willing to watch her for a few hours for free - maybe if you'd be willing to return the favor to them some time? I think that would be the best way to go, if it's possible to arrange!

If it's a short, informal meeting and your manager doesn't have a problem with it, then I don't see anything wrong with bringing your DD. (Then again, if the meeting is under an hour, I would just bite the bullet, pay the sitter, and take the $3 loss. For me, $3 would be a small price to pay to maintain myself as a professional, reliable employee.) If the meeting will be long and there will be other people attending, I think your DD could be a disruption for the other people and that's unprofessional.

JMO, of course! Good luck making a decision.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search