A Teachers View of what School is REALLY about...

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2007, 04:19 PM
*Aspen*
http://www.cantrip.org/gatto.html?seenIEPage=1

WDYT? Honestly, I think this is a big load of that stinky stuff. This guy has no clue. It's like he is PURPOSEFULLY focusing on all the mundane things and the rules of school and saying that is what school is really about when it's not.
June 8th, 2007, 05:14 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it is supposed to be somewhat a satire on what he sees as the stifling place that schools can be. Obviously he did not enjoy being a teacher, and it also seems like he knows that these kinds of "lessons" are not good for kids either. He seems to be pointing out in a cynical way the things that teachers really have to focus on, rather than the enrichment of the childrens' minds. My best friend is a teacher and she is always complaining about the bureaucracy and the constant behavior management which cuts into her ability to actually teach the kids.

To be completely honest, it sounded like a pitch for Montessori programs, or homeschooling.

June 8th, 2007, 06:14 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/

Here is a link to maybe give you a more complete idea of what he has to say.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

June 9th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think 26 years in the school system gives him a lot more knowledge of the things in school that are unsatisfactory. He has won 3 Teacher of the Year awards, so he was obviously a "good teacher", he just saw into everything that he felt was an unwanted result of the system. He obviously has a lot of loathing for the system, but it comes from being right there to be a part of it. He has said before that good teachers are wonderful, he is talking about the system itself being completely flawed and in no way conducive to a true environment of learning. "Schooling" is not education.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

June 9th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
"Schooling" is not education.[/b]
I agree.

Schools teach kids to be on time and follow orders so one day they will be good little employees.

Just memorize a bunch of stuff and sit at a desk and be quiet. I didn't like school as you can probably tell. College I enjoyed, the rest of my school experience I thought was not really the ideal learning environment.

June 9th, 2007, 09:48 AM
*Aspen*
Quote:
Quote:
I agree.

Schools teach kids to be on time and follow orders so one day they will be good little employees.

Just memorize a bunch of stuff and sit at a desk and be quiet. I didn't like school as you can probably tell. College I enjoyed, the rest of my school experience I thought was not really the ideal learning environment.
[/b]
I think the purpose of school IS education, but some schools CAN become side-tracked and focus more on making student be worker bees. But I do not think that is the majority of schools purpose, I just think that some focus on that more (which is wrong IMO), but it's not what schools are actually FOR.
June 9th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I agree.

[/b]
I think the purpose of school IS education, but some schools CAN become side-tracked and focus more on making student be worker bees. But I do not think that is the majority of schools purpose, I just think that some focus on that more (which is wrong IMO), but it's not what schools are actually FOR.
[/b]

The wealthy from good homes didn't do well in compulsory schooling, in fact usually they were kept at home, mentored and tutored. The school system was meant to give something to the poor and keep a working class going to service the wealthy. As far as "education" that is a bigger concept that schools really don't achieve, even the good ones. They all focus on making kids become worker bees because there is nothing else FOR them to teach. That IS their purpose. The wealthy even nowadays don't send their kids to public schools. Instead they are sent to private uppity schools that get them into the best colleges. Schools will train everyone there to be working class. I think people wish that it achieved education, but it doesn't.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

June 9th, 2007, 12:06 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LuvEmm @ Jun 9 2007, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>"Schooling" is not education.[/b]
I agree.

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

The wealthy from good homes didn't do well in compulsory schooling, in fact usually they were kept at home, mentored and tutored. The school system was meant to give something to the poor and keep a working class going to service the wealthy. As far as "education" that is a bigger concept that schools really don't achieve, even the good ones. They all focus on making kids become worker bees because there is nothing else FOR them to teach. That IS their purpose. The wealthy even nowadays don't send their kids to public schools. Instead they are sent to private uppity schools that get them into the best colleges. Schools will train everyone there to be working class. I think people wish that it achieved education, but it doesn't.
[/b][/quote]
I agree. If public schools were trying to teach children upward mobility in any way, they would be teaching a lot more financial concepts, including investment and entrepreneurship.

June 9th, 2007, 12:38 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I agree.

[/b]
[/b]
Historically- and this is documented- compulsory education in America was created for the purpose of providing adults willing to work boring jobs in dark, filthy factories for low wage. That's Mr. Gatto's whole point... not that some schools have gone wrong, but that those are the schools that are doing exactly what public education was designed to do.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

June 9th, 2007, 01:09 PM
*Aspen*
Well, it didn't work for me. I argue against authority too much. LOL!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search